• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

ocholik

imported post

RE: Open Carry‏ From: Glen B. Smithson (glensmithson@okhouse.gov)
Sent: Tue 3/24/09 10:43 AM
To: 'JAMES OCHOLIK' (ocholik@msn.com)

Why is it so important to you to carry a firearm in the open. Is it so you can intimidate people or will it just make you feel bigger. It is very intimidating to people to walk down the sidewalk and see people walking the streets with two gun rigs tied to their legs. I am a Vietnam vet, a 27 year state trooper and have taught concealed carry classes since their beginning in 1996. As a state legislator I have passed many guns laws making our concealed laws among the best in the nation. If you give an inch people want more, my fear is that if we get to free wit our law it will jeopardize our whole law and we will eventionally have to revoke the whole thing. When is enough, enough???????

Who voted for him ?????

ocholik

imported post

This is who i wrote too.......

wallace.collins@okhouse.gov;
chuck.hoskin@okhouse.gov;
stevemartin@okhouse.gov;
mark.mccullough@okhouse.gov
ason.murphey@okhouse.gov;
randy.mcdaniel@okhouse.gov;
leslie.osborn@okhouse.gov;
mike.ritze@okhouse.gov;
paulroan@okhouse.gov;
glensmithson@okhouse.gov;
todd.thomsen@okhouse.gov;
suetibbs@okhouse.gov

This is what I sent....

Dear Representative,

I am asking that you urge Public Safety Committee Chair Sue Tibbs to
hold a hearing on HB 1414, and move the bill out of committee.

This right to "open carry" of firearms for self-defense is already
recognized in many states, including, ironically, anti-gun states like
Wisconsin. The Badger State doesn't recognize concealed carry permits
at all, and yet, they still protect the right of their citizens to carry
firearms openly.

I believe it is time for Oklahoma to catch up. So please do everything
in your power to move HB 1414 to the floor of the House.

Sincerely,

James Ocholik

neverjeg

imported post

When is enough enough? That would be when rights are no longer infringed! :celebrate

SlackwareRobert

imported post

So it was OK for him to open carry for 27 years?
I hope you thanked him for his hartfelt appology for 27 years of threats and
intimidation of the fine people of Oklahoma.

But the follow up question is....
Why are you so afraid to have an honest open debate of such an important
matter dealing with basic rights, that you resort to burrying it in committee?

When is enough? When ALL persons (little pc there) are equal.

Bullbuster

imported post

ocholik wrote:

Why is it so important to you to carry a firearm in the open. Is it so you can intimidate people or will it just make you feel bigger. It is very intimidating to people to walk down the sidewalk and see people walking the streets with two gun rigs tied to their legs. I am a Vietnam vet, a 27 year state trooper and have taught concealed carry classes since their beginning in 1996. As a state legislator I have passed many guns laws making our concealed laws among the best in the nation. If you give an inch people want more, my fear is that if we get to free wit our law it will jeopardize our whole law and we will eventionally have to revoke the whole thing. When is enough, enough???????

Who voted for him ?????

Enough will end come next election when your voted out of office. Hows that for enough is enough.

Don Barnett

imported post

His reply is deplorable. He works for YOU...NOT visa versa. When these "idiots" get elected, they somehow think that they are God...and can boss everybody around. I am from Virginia...and when I saw this...I wanted to throw up.

justgreg

imported post

I just sent this to my rep:

Doctor Renegar!

Thanks much for your continued public service, we do appreciate you, and I thought in particular helping Chris Ford get an exception back when he was Sheriff was a super smart move, and we in Latimer County appreciate it.

I'm contacting you about HB1414, the "Open Carry" law.

I urge you to support this law, as there are many situations where open carry is appropriate, prudent and smart.

Carrying unloaded firearms produces its own risks!

Normal day-to-day situations including handling cash on the way to a bank puts normal people including business owners (but sometimes their employees!) in a situation where they are performing the duties of an unpaid, untrained security guard.

Open, visible, and clear carry is a deterence factor.

We appreciate your service, and we all know you have a lot on your plate!

G.

Gregory XXXXXXX
Wilburton

justgreg

imported post

FIVE MINUTES LATER...Doctor Renegar Replied:

"I will be in full support of hb1414! I just try to do what's right, am glad you agree!"

Now that's service!

G.

Emeraldislegod

imported post

As an Oklahoma resident gun-owner and carrier, as well as the son of a lateLaw Enforcement Officer, I absolutely had to join this thread.

Number one: I have to say that in the later years of my father's career, he was increasingly paranoid. My father had an EXEMPLARY career. Decorated, and promoted, my dad was the model cop.20+ years of day-in-day-out with criminals will skew your view on society as a whole....It can't HELP but mold your CONTEMPORARY life. Unfortunately, this bleeds into the law-abiding population. Anyone KNOW an OHP trooper?

I worked with the wife of an OHP trooper for 5 years....I met her husband once. I was in my scrub uniform, with visible ID, coming out of a surgical unit...I asked"oh, HEY, are you..."the husband of "XY"... He looked me up and down, and said, "NO. that's not me." I'm a clean-cut, Army veteran working in a hospital with ID....He walked away to a different elevator.IUNDERSTAND from first-hand knowledge why the paranoia exists....The bad guys like revenge, as has happened from time totime to almost EVERY LEO....Ticket a guy, see him at Olive Garden, hilarity ensues, right?

My point is, unless a UNIVERSALLY UNDERSTOOD,TOTALLYwell-worded, and comprehensive legislation is passed in Oklahoma, the good-guys are going to be CONTINUALLY lumped in with BAD guys where firearms and the 2nd Ammendment are concerned....

My affinity, and allegiance, BY OATH is to my Family, my God, my Constitution/NATION and my STATE. In that particular order. The citizens of EVERY state shouldbe able to exercisethe rightsACKNOWLEDGED them, constitutionally;not to mentionthe PROTECTIONS afforded by our STATE laws and taxed REVENUE!RIGHTS are NOT given, nor are they ALLOWED or debated. "RIGHTS" ARE, by definition, a FOREGONE CONCLUSION!!!!!! And I rest on this.

timberwollf

imported post

As a current Federal and local municipality police officer, I can validate your what you are saying regarding the paranoia of certain officers. State Troopers seem to be exceptionally prone to this. Personally I believe some of their attitudes have more to do with arrogance than paranoia, but you know what they say about opinions. I would, however, like to say that as a police officer I would rather know that everyone that I deal with has a gun and know exactly where it is, rather than wonder if they have one and wonder where it is. I believe that I am an oddity in my profession, but I believe that it is a persons God-given right to defend themselves. And everyone knows that when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

okboomer

imported post

Yes, I do know a former OHP. He is not of the paranoid persuasion, but his attitude was also that he would rather see the gun than wonder about the gun.

The only problem then becomes that the BG will then carry concealed and is under no compulsion to inform LEO that he is carrying.

I see the dilemma now becoming whether or not the visibly unarmed citizen is a BG with a concealed weapon, making all VUA suspect.

What I would like is the option, as a law-abiding citizen, whether to carry openly or concealed ... as the situation warrants.

The only folks that should be intimidated by OC are the one's with reason to be intimidated ... BG with theft, rape, pillage on his tiny little drug damaged brain.

I can see where OC can be an endorsement on a DL which would indicate that a b/g check has been conducted during the CC licensing process.

I am ambivalent about OC with no background check, and believe there needs to be some way for LEO to be made aware of the b/g check. This is why an endorsement on a DL would be acceptable, while keeping the CC license seperate. If the initial b/g check is passed, then when renewing a DL, the local b/g check could be performed by any LEO and a verification could be issued to be presented to the tag office like an insurance verification is presented when renewing a DL.

Sadly, Mr. Smithson's reply is antagonistic and I believe demonstrates his unfitness to hold public office.ToobadI do not get to vote on him ;-)

okboomer

imported post

ocholik wrote:

No, it is so I can intimidate the BG that is trying to make me into a victim.

Make me feel bigger???? Dude, I have been 5'2" all my life and have been physically intimidated by larger people all my life. Nothing will make me feel bigger, but when I developed assertiveness, I am called a bitch.

Just which people will be intimidated by a law-abiding citizen open carrying? And you don't think that gang-bangers wearing colors are not intimidating?

As for some young buck wearing two gun rigs tied to their legs, well, I submit the fashion of wearing oversized jeans hanging off the butt with boxers showing on top is not conducive to OC a gun and might relegate that fashion disaster to the dumpster where it belongs.

I salute and thank you for your service. I also appreciate your diligence and effort in making our CONCEALED CARRY laws some of the best in the nation. But we are talking about OPEN CARRY.

We are not asking for lawmakers to give anything. We are demanding our RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS as affirmed by the Constitution of the United States. That document also states that this right will not be interferred with by the Government, of which you are our servant. We, the People are speaking. You are required to listen and act in support of our mandate. If not, you can and will be replaced.

How does the free exercise of our RIGHTS make you fearful that We the People are too free with our laws? How does a law-abiding citizen jeopardize the laws?

And just who will make the decision to "revoke the whole thing?" The Concealed Carry law was passed into law by a majority vote of the People of the State of Oklahoma, not by legislators. It would take a vote of the People to REPEAL the law.

We the People are saying "Enough is Enough" and obviously you are not listening. You will hear us in November 2010.

Rep. Glen Bud Smithson, D, District 2
Capitol Room 539
Route 2, Box 48-E3
Sallisaw, OK 74955
Capitol Phone: 405-557-7315
918-775-0367
Email: glensmithson@okhouse.gov
Counties: Sequoyah

STATE OF OKLAHOMA UNIFORM CRIME REPORT ANNUAL REPORT JANUARY – DECEMBER 2008:
SUMMARY ANALYSIS

A total of 212 murders was reported by law enforcement agencies in 2008.

Murders accounted for 1.1% of all violent crimes and 0.1% of all index crimes reported.

A total of 148 murders was cleared by arrest or exceptional means, representing a clearance rate of 69.8%.

The 25-year-old to 29-year-old age group accounted for the highest percentage of persons arrested for murder at approximately 15.5% of the total.Of the 161 persons arrested for murder, 49.7% were White, 39.8% were Black, 9.9% were Indian, and 0.6% were Asian.

Firearms were employed in 60.4% of all reported murders. The use of a knife or other cutting device was involved in 15.6% of the murders.

The murder of one family member by another accounted for 35 offenses or 16.5% of all murders; 5.2% of the 212 offenses resulted from one spouse killing the other.

The victim-offender relationship was identified in 155 of the 212 reported murders. In 84.5% of these cases, the victims were known by the offenders.
The full report can be found in this .pdf and I recommend also perusing the statistics in the tables on page 36.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/Intro.pdf

While I am not a resident in District 2 and my vote cannot affect whether or not Rep. Smithson will retain his office, perhaps these ramblings will be of some help to those of the district who can.

edited for typesetting - had to use the Word Document trick

Bullbuster

imported post

I just can't get over how crazy some people can get over the mention of the word gun. What's even worse is how bent outa shape gun owners get over the mention of Open Carry.

I spent the last 5 years living in the BIGGEST OC state of Virginia. With groups like the VCDL the sky is the limit as to what they can do and have done to make an impact of the gun rights of Virginians.

If we had such a prolific voice here the sky could be the limit here in OK as to what gun rights laws could be passed.

OC shouldn't be an elected officials choice for us. That right is in black and white in the 2nd amendment in the right to bear arms. That right shouldn't be restricted as to the caliber, and means of carry. OC is a good thing and should be allowed for all law abiding citizens.

If they want an example of how its done then they need to look at VA to start with.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
I just can't get over how crazy some people can get over the mention of the word gun. What's even worse is how bent outa shape gun owners get over the mention of Open Carry.

I spent the last 5 years living in the BIGGEST OC state of Virginia. With groups like the VCDL the sky is the limit as to what they can do and have done to make an impact of the gun rights of Virginians.

If we had such a prolific voice here the sky could be the limit here in OK as to what gun rights laws could be passed.

OC shouldn't be an elected officials choice for us. That right is in black and white in the 2nd amendment in the right to bear arms. That right shouldn't be restricted as to the caliber, and means of carry. OC is a good thing and should be allowed for all law abiding citizens.

If they want an example of how its done then they need to look at VA to start with.
Are you having fun yet? Not the same is it?

With some work and time its possible.

Hope you still get the VaAlerts - lot of good things happening this year at GA.

Yata hey

Bullbuster

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Bullbuster wrote:

Are you having fun yet? Not the same is it?

With some work and time its possible.

Hope you still get the VaAlerts - lot of good things happening this year at GA.

Yata hey

I'm getting the feel for things here in Oklahoma. I do miss being able to OC and having it as an option for that matter. Alot of folks here are against it.

I still get the VA alerts and like the great things y'all are getting pushed through this year.

ocholik

imported post

If the open carry law passes great...but i still will carry mine undercover.......

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ocholik wrote:
If the open carry law passes great...but i still will carry mine undercover.......
Don't care how you carry as long as you do so responsibly.

Here in Virginia we do NOT have an open carry law - the absence of such is what makes it legal, whether on my person or in my vehicle.

Yata hey

Robin47

imported post

This "Glen" should be living in California, where no "official" keeps their oath of office.

Seems the Constitution is "just a piece of paper".

And he calls himself a Nam-Vet ??? Right !

There is always one bad apple in a fifty gallon barrel.

Well keep fighting for your rights to OC in Ok ! Robin47

Bullbuster

imported post

Robin47 wrote:
This "Glen" should be living in California, where no "official" keeps their oath of office.

Seems the Constitution is "just a piece of paper".

And he calls himself a Nam-Vet ??? Right !

There is always one bad apple in a fifty gallon barrel.

Well keep fighting for your rights to OC in Ok ! Robin47
+1