• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry wedding in Arizona?

Should we have OC at wedding?

• HECK YES! OC at both the wedding and reception.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Only OC during wedding ceremony.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Only OC during the reception.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, don't OC at all. CC only during both wedding and reception.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rusty Young Man

OK, here goes: The GF and I have been tossing around ideas about what our wedding could be like, or rather what we would like it to be like. She knows how important the RKBA is to me as well as OC being an integral part of who I was when we met and who I am today. She actually suggested the carry aspect...

So the question is: Should we have Open Carry at our wedding? What would you choose in our position?

I'm asking the question to the OCDO sages because I wanted the opinion of folks who understand* that CC isn't the end-all for carry, nor am I trying to ambush a potential BG (I'd much rather deter an encounter altogether). Likewise, the members of OCDO may as well be paralegals with their knowledge and discussion on the actual laws which may apply; have I ever mentioned that I like the "cite to authority" rule here? :)

Details:
GF and I would prefer to have the ceremony and reception at either a hotel or other private venue. With how beautiful Tucson is, we'd like to showcase that a bit (it's where we met and we have fallen in love with it). No booze during ceremony, which would likely be outside. Booze would be involved for the reception, which would be inside; wife's family does the social drinking thing, some of our friends do too. This is where it gets tricky.

The dilemma:
If we went with OC, then we'd have to go with a private venue and pay for a bar (because then the venue wouldn't be the one with the liquor license and thus one should be able to OC, if I understand the statutes correctly).

If we went CC then we may as well go with the hotel venue and no OC would be permitted due to the place having a liquor license and as such being bound by the ARS Title 4 statutes.

Regardless of the final choice carry will be encouraged for all guests, and this is a decision we both agreed on and support. :D Everyone on her side of the family knows I OC (plenty have seen it firsthand and word has spread to the extended family) and knows she carries as well. Ditto on my side of the family. :)

*Some other threads I found on the subject devolved into "OC gives away the element of surprise" debates:

Courteous, but short-lived thread
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83169-Open-Carry-Wedding
Fairly neutral discussion
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/carrying-during-a-wedding.544117/
Plenty of CC-only folks trolling
http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/should-i-open-carry-at-my-wedding.119435/
Reddit thread. Yeah...
https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/38wegi/how_would_you_feel_about_an_opencarry_wedding/

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

In AZ it is generally legal to OC or CC if you are over 21; under 21 restricts you to OC only. Exceptions would be places where liquor is served for consumption on the premises and on school grounds.

ARS Title 13 said:
13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
1. Carrying a deadly weapon except a pocket knife concealed on his person or within his immediate control in or on a means of transportation:
(a) In the furtherance of a serious offense as defined in section 13-706, a violent crime as defined in section 13-901.03 or any other felony offense; or
(b) When contacted by a law enforcement officer and failing to accurately answer the officer if the officer asks whether the person is carrying a concealed deadly weapon; or
2. Carrying a deadly weapon except a pocket knife concealed on his person or concealed within his immediate control in or on a means of transportation if the person is under twenty-one years of age; or
SNIP...

10. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering any public establishment or attending any public event and carrying a deadly weapon on his person after a reasonable request by the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event or the sponsor's agent to remove his weapon and place it in the custody of the operator of the establishment or the sponsor of the event for temporary and secure storage of the weapon pursuant to section 13-3102.01; or
11. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering an election polling place on the day of any election carrying a deadly weapon; or
12. Possessing a deadly weapon on school grounds; or

SNIP...

B. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to:
1. A person in his dwelling, on his business premises or on real property owned or leased by that person or that person's parent, grandparent or legal guardian.

2. A member of the sheriff's volunteer posse or reserve organization who has received and passed firearms training that is approved by the Arizona peace officer standards and training board and who is authorized by the sheriff to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to section 11-441.

3. A firearm that is carried in:
(a) A manner where any portion of the firearm or holster in which the firearm is carried is visible.
(b) A holster that is wholly or partially visible.
(c) A scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible.
(d) Luggage.
(e) A case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.
SNIP...
LINK: http://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03102.htm

And the restrictions on OC but not CC with a license (under certain conditions):

ARS Title 4 said:
4-229. Licenses; handguns; posting of notice
A. A person may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following requirements:
1. Be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and immediately adjacent to the liquor license posted on the licensed premises.
2. Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm.
3. Contain the words, "no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229".
B. A person shall not carry a firearm on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer if the licensee has posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section.
Link: http://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=http://www.azleg.gov/ars/4/00229.htm

Near as I can tell, OC could still take place even with liquor being served on the premises IF the liquor was contained to a roped-off area and the venue itself wasn't the one selling the liquor.

Any and all thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

There have been OC funerals - why not OC weddings?

Well said, and that's a reason I'd really like for OC to be an option. Not to make a political statement, but because it is a part of who I was/am, and part of what made/makes her feel safe, protected, and comforted by me. And how could I OC and not extend the option to guests? I'd be a hypocrite! :p

I'd just like more thoughts on the subject.

Side note: As a matter of fact I have made my wishes clear for my funeral (hopefully many years from now):

Put on some happy music, tell some fun stories.
Let there be something to eat. Chicken is good.
I would hope OC is encouraged.
If my body isn't cremated and made into werewolf/zombie/vampire/Bad Guy-killing bullets, then my 1911-A1 should be on my hip when I'm put in the box.

solus

btw, congratulations on your impending nuptials and may you both enjoy a long and fruitful life together...

date and location set
ipse

Last edited:

OC for ME

Be sure to receive the bride's approval regarding the color of the firearm and holster...clashing colors is frowned upon...typically.

Congratulations and good luck. Sucks that AZ has a law regarding booze and peaceably carried/properly holstered handguns.

Rusty Young Man

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. :)

btw, congratulations on your impending nuptials and may you both enjoy a long and fruitful life together...

date and location set
ipse

Location has been narrowed down to Tucson, Arizona. Still a toss up between a handful of venues that we've been visiting to scope out and pare down the candidates. :)

Date is not yet set. Looks like it would be fall of 2019.

Be sure to receive the bride's approval regarding the color of the firearm and holster...clashing colors is frowned upon...typically.

Congratulations and good luck. Sucks that AZ has a law regarding booze and peaceably carried/properly holstered handguns.

Thanks for the tip. Since there is still time hopefully the laws relax a bit by then. I envy our Nevadan brethren for lawfully being able to enjoy a beer, in a bar, while OCing. And I don't even like beer. :shocker:

Last edited: