• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry,or conceled carry in dalton georgia ??

justin1213

i just recently got my carry permit.and i was wondering the places i can carry conceled or open? like walmart,taco-bell,gas stations? any help will be greatly appreciated.i wanna carry as many places as possible but i dont know were i can carry at..and should i carry at inside hip,or small of back,or should i carry outside hip everywere i go?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i just recently got my carry permit.and i was wondering the places i can carry conceled or open? like walmart,taco-bell,gas stations? any help will be greatly appreciated.i wanna carry as many places as possible but i dont know were i can carry at..and should i carry at inside hip,or small of back,or should i carry outside hip everywere i go?

Presuming you are who and what you say you are, how did you manage to get your permit and not know the most basic of questions regarding Georgia laws?

Start by reading these forums and then perusing the following link.
http://www.georgiapacking.org/

Also using capitalization, proper spelling, good syntax and the like will cause people to take you more seriously.

aadvark

justin1213:

Welcome to The Georgia Open Carry Thread!

Congradulations on Receiving Your Georgia Weapons Carry License!

I will Surmise Georgia Law for You, however; I must First Point out that I am NOT a Lawyer and My Advice can not be Construed as Legal Advice.

First and Foremost, under Your Immediately Preceding Thread, You Inquire that Carrying a Firearm is Illegal at Public Gatherings. This is NO Longer True.

The Georgia General Assembly Substansially and Comprehensively Revised Georgia Law on as to where: Firearms, Weapons, and LongGuns; may now be Carried Lawfully.

Under Georgia Law 16-11-125.1 there are now Two Additional Classifications of 'Dangerous Instrumentalities' as are Codified under Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16 of Volume 14A of The Official Code of Georgia Annotated.

The Newest Two Classifications are: 1. 'Weapons' AND 2. 'LongGuns'.

Under Georgias' Newest Firearm-related Statute, 16-11-125.1., Weapons are Defined as HandGuns, per Georgia Code 16-11-125.1(1), and Knives, under Georgia Code 16-11-125.1(2).

Handguns and Knives, being Weapons, are set apart from LongGuns, under Georgia Code 16-11-125.1(4).

Secondly, Georgia Code 16-11-126 was Substansially Revised as well in Relevant as to how a Person may Lawfully Carry Weapons and LongGuns in Public.

The Crime of: 'Carrying a Concealed Weapon'; was Replaced with: 'Carrying a Weapon without a Georgia Weapons Carry License, Penalty for Violating Licensing Requirement'.

Georgia Code 16-11-127 was also Revised to Read: 'Carrying a Weapon or LongGun [OMIT] while at an Unauthorized Location', and no longer States: 'Carrying a Firearm to or while at a Public Gathering'. The Crime of Carrying a Firearm to or while at a Public Gathering was REPEALED.

*** Georgia Code 16-11-127(d) Enumerates Three Exceptions as a Defense for Carrying a Weapon or LongGun while at any UnAuthorized Location in Violation of Georgia Code 16-11-127(b). ***

Georgia Code 16-11-127.1 mostly underwent NO Changes, aside from The REPEAL of The 1000' Rule around Schools. Therefore, You can Incur NO Charges from Carrying a: Firearm, Weapon, or LongGun; within a 1000' of a School, UNLESS; you ACTUALLY 'Step-Foot' on School Property. Should that Occur, with a License, such Charge is ONLY a Misdemeanor, however; without a License such Charge is a Felony.

Georgia Code 16-11-128 was REPEALED as well. However, under Georgia Code 16-11-126, a HandGun is a Weapon and, therefore, a Person needs a Georgia Weapons Carry License to Carry a Weapon in Public.

Georgia Code 16-11-129 underwent Various Changes, among them: Removal of The Life-Time Prohibitor for Misdemeanor Drug Convictions, Removal of 3 Year Prohibitor for now Antiqueted Firearm-related Cahrges Pre-SB308, AND Removal of Old License in Favor of a New License to Debut from The Probate Courts in 2012.

I would Suggest you Familiarize yourself with SB308, as it is now Georgia Law :
http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/versions/sb308_SB308_APP_23.htm

I also Suggest that you Read The Firearm Summaries Availiable at Georgia Packing:
http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php
http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/
http://www.georgiapacking.org/caselaw/

Furthermore, Please Visit Georgia Carry Website, as Listed below:
http://georgiacarry.org/
http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/current-bills/ (These Bills are CURRENTLY before our State Legisature, and are ONLY Proposals at this Time, NOT Law.)

aadvark

*** If You have ANY other Firearm-related Questions, feel Free to Ask! I will Gladly Help You to Better Learn and Understand Georgias' Firearm Laws! ***

*** The Laws on The Back of Your Georgia Weapons Carry License are REPEALED, and, therefore, NO Longer Apply to You..., should..., this Appear: http://www.georgiapacking.org/gfl.php ***

*** Police CAN NOT Arrest you for a Public Gathering Violation, that Law is Repealed, regardless of what Your Georgia Weapons Carry License Reads. DO NOT let The Police, or anyone Else, Bully You into Thinking that You are Violating Your Permit if You Carry a Firearm into any Place on The Back of Your Permit, it is FALSE. ***

*** The Reason your Permit Reads: 'Georgia Firearms License' is because The New Template for The New Georgia Weapons Carry License will not be UnVeiled until January. 1, 2012. The New Permit will have The Correct Laws on it, along with Your Picture AND Special Security Features. ***

Last edited:

Kingfish

Justin,

If you really need it simplified...
You may carry OPEN or concealed, with or without a holster, anywhere on or about your person ANYWHERE in the state not listed in the "Off limits location" list:
In a government building
In a courthouse
In a jail or prison
In a place of worship
In a state mental health facility
In a bar unless the owner permits carry
On the premesis of a nuclear power facility
Within 150 feet of a polling location
http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

All federal laws still apply

I, also am not a lawyer.

Kingfish

As far as where on your person you carry, that is a very personal decision only you can make. My advice would be to contact a local gun shop that stocks a good selection of holsters and see if they will allow you to come down and try a few on and see what works best for you...Kinda like shopping for a new pair of hiking boots.

Ultimately you are probably going to go through quite a few combinations until you find what is just right for you.

aadvark

KingFish:

What kind of Holster do You Prefer?

aadvark

Last edited:

dtom

justin1213:Georgia Code 16-11-127 was also Revised to Read: 'Carrying a Weapon or LongGun to or while at an Unauthorized Location', and no longer States: 'Carrying a Firearm to or while at a Public Gathering'. The Crime of Carrying a Firearm to or while at a Public Gathering was REPEALED.

One minor correction on this part (OCGA 16-11-127), other wise very very good! You may carry to an unauthorized location you just can't carry while at an unauthorized location. :) In other words, and if you feel comfortable with it, lock and secure it in our vehicle. Otherwise do leave it at home.

BTW although the GA packing site is easier to find and navigate the relative laws on it, it is NOT an official copy of the law. So use at your own risk. I like to verify their information by reading it on Lexus Nexus and or the state's web site.

Last edited:

aadvark

dtom:

I agree with Your Analysis of Georgia Code 16-11-127, and Accordingly, I will [OMIT] The Verbiage: '... to or...' from my Previous Post concerning The Aformentioned Code Section.

In Light of this Correction, I will Correlate 16-11-127(d) as The Authority to Carry a Weapon or LongGun '... to...' an UnAuthorized Location, provided; that, as You Indicated, The Possession of a Weapon or LongGun, while '... at...' an UnAuthorized Location, beyond The Permissable Exceptions under 16-11-127(d), remains UnLawful .

aadvark

Last edited: