• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the Detroit Area?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
... This may sound like a dumb question, but are there any national OC organizations? Meaning where accepted guidelines for stuff like this are spelled out for instance?

I mean it seems to me that if there were an agreed upon set of productive guidelines, complete with measures for confrontation with the police, a lot more could be accomplished than by these autonomous groups. Even at the state level.

If there already is, are these small neighborhood groups just refusing to ally themselves? All honest, albeit maybe ignorant questions.

I think OCDO (OpenCarryDotOrg) is the closest you'll find to a national "organization". But no, I don't think you'll find "rules" per se, except those that may be suggested by organizers of individual OC events.

Open Carry Texas is probably the biggest and most well organized OC organization, and I believe there is/used to be MCDO (or something like that) - Michigan Carry. You could look around here for more info on them, or one of the denizens (I mean residents) of OCDO could fill you in on them.

Fascistbook has an OCDO page, an OCT page, and a VCDL (VA Citizens Defense League) which you may wish to investigate.

Again, my best suggestion to you is this: if you can't find a group or organization that fits your idea of what OC should be about, in its many positive aspects, organize something yourself - an OC education or introduction walk, an OC picnic, an OC whatever. See if you can contact some of the people in the YouTube videos with whom you might have common ground and engage them in conversation. (Rumble is a YT alternative, I'm told)

As much as I despise the censorship, etc. of social media, it really is a great medium to communicate with broad swathes of people.

HOWEVER, there is no better website than OCDO to find well organized and deep discussion like this thread. The ONLY thing that comes close, in *some* respects, is the Open Carry Texas page on Fascistbook: life expectancy unknown for obvious reasons.

Tiribulus

OH! OH!

You've hit on one of my favorite subjects - black gun owners and OC by blacks (& women)!
Absolutely :)

Few things warm my heart more than going to the shop/range and it's full of black folks. Seriously. And yes, women and black women especially are strapping themselves up like never before. Their classes are always 7or 8 to 1 or 2, black/white and half women. And this place is in Livonia. A predominantly white western suburb.

In my view 2A issues can be a means to bridge this abhorrent and false division being foisted on this nation by the leftists. What's more AMERICAN than gun ownership?

Black Americans are Americans first as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping that gun ownership will help some realize that real Americans are not oppressors and see them as just as American as we are.

It's late here. More hopefully tomorrow :)

Last edited:

solus

@solus
What's your favorite open carry gun and holster? That's not a trick question. I'm honestly just curious.
so greg, you ~ the Lion of Mr. Rogers' neighbourhood, the individual who quotes nonsense w/o any type of contexual bkgnd or attribution of the source, who spews mythical hyperbole about converstations w/o LE w/o prefacing said hyperbole it was pulled from you derriere, and whom you accused of being a liar as well as chastising your religion, MY favorite...cuz your curious...

have a good day...

solus

Few things warm my heart more than going to the shop/range and it's full of black folks. Seriously. And yes, women and black women especially are strapping themselves up like never before. Their classes are always 7or 8 to 1 or 2, black/white and half women. And this place is in Livonia. A predominantly white weatern suberb.

In my view 2A issues can be a means to bridge this abhorrent and false division being foisted on this nation by the leftists. What's more AMERICAN than gun ownership?

Black Americans are Americans first as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping that gun ownership will help some realize that real Americans are not oppressors and see them as just as American as we are.

it is the leftists of this country who are pushing the false division...really...spreading nonsenical rumors!

Greg, i bet you truly believe the term "We the People..." when written meant slaves, Natives, women don't ya...

sorry "PEOPLE" only meant the white autocratic males when the founding fathers wrote those words!

further, sooo glad the Concealed trainers in Livonia are charging citizens of colour 100$ at one site or pay 125$ in advance or 50$ deposit and 100$ day of class at another.

finally it is obvious your historical perspective is severely lack regarding the perspective of people of colour's gun ownership... to broaden your horizon, might check out jfpo...

Tiribulus

@solus
Chattel slavery as practiced in antebellum America was an abomination and thank God for it's abolition.

That said, at no time did more than 5% of all households, even in the south, hold any slaves at all and the stereotype of the large plantation with 100 slaves existed in only a handful of cases. Slavery did not define, nor did it sustain the economy of the United States. This is loudly evinced in the fact that the trajectory set at the revolution led us to a bloody and devastating civil war in which, while not the only issue, also led to the emancipation proclamation and the 13th amendment.

Pax Americana wasn't even really a thing until the last half of the 20th century. Loooong after the abolition of slavery, so how could slavery be THE means by which the United States ascended to be the most powerful, prosperous and prestigious nation in the history of the world?

In fact, though a flaming hypocrite, Jefferson wrote the abolition of slavery into the original draft of the DOI, but we needed the southern colonies to win the war so it was kicked down the road. I am WELL aware of this nation's history. Including the enormous challenges in the wake of the war as to what to do with the newly freed slaves.
-------------------------------------------
The most heavily populated classes in my favorite shop/range are for basic firearm and handgun training. Seeing a constant parade of peaceable law abiding black Americans availing themselves of their rights to keep and bear arms and self defense is an occasion for celebration in my view. It is a major step in seeing at least some of them delivered from the designed bondage to the nanny state, which has devastated black America.

These are huge sprawling topics, but TODAY, "we the people" means, or should mean, every citizen regardless of which part of the world they are historically descended from.

Also, what is your point in bringing Jewish Americans into all of this? Actually, what is your point in general? I'd like to just have a constructive conversation. I just came here originally to see if anybody had any personal experience with open carry in my area. :)

Last edited:

solus

@solus
Chattel slavery as practiced in antebellum America was an abomination and thank God for it's abolition.

That said, at no time did more than 5% of all households, even in the south, hold any slaves at all and the stereotype of the large plantation with 100 slaves existed in only a handful of cases. Slavery did not define, nor did it sustain the economy of the United States. This is loudly evinced in the fact that the trajectory set at the revolution led us to a bloody and devastating civil war in which, while not the only issue, also led to the emancipation proclamation and the 13th amendment.

Pax Americana wasn't even really a thing until the last half of the 20th century. Loooong after the abolition of slavery, so how could slavery be THE means by which the United States ascended to the be the most powerful, prosperous and prestigious nation in the history of the world?

In fact, though a flaming hypocrite, Jefferson wrote the abolition of slavery into the original draft of the DOI, but we needed the southern colonies to win the war so it was kicked down the road. I am WELL aware of this nation's history. Including the enormous challenges in the wake of the war as to what to do with the newly freed slaves.
-------------------------------------------
The most heavily populated classes in my favorite shop/range are for basic firearm and handgun training. Seeing a constant parade of peaceable law abiding black Americans availing themselves of their rights to keep and bear arms and self defense is an occasion for celebration in my view. It is a major step in seeing at least some of them delivered from the designed bondage to the nanny state, which has devastated black America.

These are huge sprawling topics, but TODAY, "we the people" means, or should mean, every citizen regardless of which part of the world they are historically descended from.

Also, what is your point in bringing Jewish Americans into all of this? Actually, what is your point in general? I'd like to just have a constructive conversation. I just came here originally to see if anybody had any personal experience with open carry in my area. :)
so you have a cite for your stated hyperbole "at no time" or as in the recent past posting you are making up conversations to sound knowledgeable?

so you know history do you Lion....so your perception of the reason for the start civil war ~ which you should unequivocally know wasn't due to slavery whatsoever!

your watching your favorite shop/range facilitate overseer concealed privilege permit training to people of colour is nothing more than American entrepreneurial enterprise, especially since the white folk customer base training has been saturated in the area!

Further, your unbelievably closed mind you continually exhibit shows a great deal regarding your psyche..."jewish Americans"...really...all the while waving the flag for people of colour...you truly have no earthly idea how bigoted your comments just made you look out here on this forum as you summarily dismissed the suggestion to view the US's premier firearm advocacy site since 1989 ~ JFPO's site, including an extensive history[ies] of firearm carry by blacks!

HINT...to have constructive conversations...one must not preen like a closed minded peacock who disparages offered information which allows individuals to have a viable two way communication in the exchange of ideas to the benefit of members and guests.

Last edited:

Tiribulus

you truly have no earthly idea how bigoted your comments just made you look out here on this forum
If this is true, then I am definitely on the wrong site. However, I'm gonna go way out on a limb and guess that you don't speak for everybody here.

I didn't dismiss anything.

solus

If this is true, then I am definitely on the wrong site. However, I'm gonna go way out on a limb and guess that you don't speak for everybody here.

I didn't dismiss anything.
Nope but as your behaviour in this singular thread has shown, your fan dougie, the member banned and given a third reprieve to return, on only stand cuz he thinks it bolsters his ego...

wait, i guess Lion, i have missed any type of conversation from my exchange regarding your knowledge of history, e.g., constitutional, civil war, firearm carry by blacks, ad nauseam...absolutely not a thing...your right you are on a limb by yourself!

cheers

2a4all

I think OCDO (OpenCarryDotOrg) is the closest you'll find to a national "organization". But no, I don't think you'll find "rules" per se, except those that may be suggested by organizers of individual OC events.

Open Carry Texas is probably the biggest and most well organized OC organization, and I believe there is/used to be MCDO (or something like that) - Michigan Carry. You could look around here for more info on them, or one of the denizens (I mean residents) of OCDO could fill you in on them.

Fascistbook has an OCDO page, an OCT page, and a VCDL (VA Citizens Defense League) which you may wish to investigate.

Again, my best suggestion to you is this: if you can't find a group or organization that fits your idea of what OC should be about, in its many positive aspects, organize something yourself - an OC education or introduction walk, an OC picnic, an OC whatever. See if you can contact some of the people in the YouTube videos with whom you might have common ground and engage them in conversation. (Rumble is a YT alternative, I'm told)

As much as I despise the censorship, etc. of social media, it really is a great medium to communicate with broad swathes of people.

HOWEVER, there is no better website than OCDO to find well organized and deep discussion like this thread. The ONLY thing that comes close, in *some* respects, is the Open Carry Texas page on Fascistbook: life expectancy unknown for obvious reasons.
Picnics are excellent opportunities for Open Carry affairs. See
. This picnic was hosted by VCDL who invited Nightline to cover the event. VCDL has hosted other OC picnics with Congressmen, State Legislators and local elected officials as guests.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

Few things warm my heart more than going to the shop/range and it's full of black folks. Seriously. And yes, women and black women especially are strapping themselves up like never before. Their classes are always 7or 8 to 1 or 2, black/white and half women. And this place is in Livonia. A predominantly white weatern suberb.

Another group to check out (I don't know if he/they organize things, but it's good to read) is Black Guns Matter, started by a black guy from Philly, I believe.

Here's a recent post on Fascistbook:

Over the last few months there have been many people new to our work at @officialblackgunsmatter so it’s important we give a refresher on our work.

#BlackGunsMatter was created to address a serious need to educate urban America on safe and responsible gun ownership.
Decades of the racist practice of #guncontrol has created a void in and disregard for the second amendment in these cities. The negligence and outright ignorance of proper gun ownership has led to more erosion of rights and death in areas where the lack of information has been allowed to fester.

We are here to correct that.

Our free (crowd funded) classes deal with pistol and rifle basics, safety, laws and proper storage of firearms. We are the starting point for new gun owners in America.

We hold seminars in community centers, churches, cafes, convention centers, small businesses and anywhere the people need basic info on ways to defend themselves. All paid for by donations from the people FOR the people.
No judgement, no arrogance, no rights restricted. Just knowledge and support for disenfranchised communities, to strengthen America overall.

If you have supported before, thank you.
If you want to support now, thank you.
If you are a new gun owner, welcome.
We are here for you, we will continue to serve you, thank you for doing your part to defend our nation. #BlackGunsMatter

Support:
GoFundMe.com/BlackGunsMatter
Merch:
BlackGunsMatterShop.com
Subscribe:
YouTube.com/BlackGunsMatter

Download the “Black Guns Matter” app on all platforms.

Last edited:

Tiribulus

Not that anybody's waiting around for me, :) but I apologize guys. I've been really busy and haven't gotten a chance to respond yet. I appreciate your input.

Small_Arms_Collector

I now have.

I don't want to put words in your mouth. Are you saying to go to the police station and tell them that I will be carrying openly? If so, for my immediate vicinity, I would have no problem doing that. In fact, when I dropped off my registration slips there, the 2 different cops on 2 different occasions both gave me a hearty congratulations on buying a personal handgun. I'm not of the impression that every Redford Township cop is an anti 2A private gun hater.

If you're not saying that, then please explain where I have gone wrong.

Ignore the trolls, they shit in my thread too.

I’ll actually answer your question, I have Open Carried in the Detroit area and nothing happened for the most part.

The last time I did was a number of years ago but for the most part nothing happened, I did my thing, no one talked to me, no one freaked out, and the cops were never called. In fact I don’t think most people noticed.

There are some incidents I’ll mention though:

I went to both (long gun) open carry events around the Sean Colmbs incident and while there was much mouth agape staring the police never showed up, though they were present in the city council chamber however they said nothing and spoke to no one.

While at Arts Beats and Eats I noticed some comments but the police never showed.

I also attended an open air concert or festival or something and I honestly don’t remember where or when it was or what it was but it was because of some antigun thing the locals were doing as I recall. I was alone that time and the police DID show up. I was on the phone at the time and they stood patiently and let me finish my call, then they asked what I was doing, I said I was listening to the music but was just about to go (I was, I was actually on my way out when I stopped for my phone call, they approached shortly after), then I just turned my back in them and walked away, which was what I was planning to do anyway, they said nothing and just stood there.

Those are the only mentionable incidents in the Detroit area I recall, all other times I carried in the Detroit area had no incidents, I also carried in Lansing and encountered the police but in that case they were just there for crowd control and were actually helpful, they mostly just milled around and chatted with people as they had nothing else to do.

After Legal Update 86 came out most departments have done a pretty decent job training their officers and incidents have virtually disappeared.

I doubt you will have an issue. If you do just be professional, they typically only last a minute or two, basically some lib calls them then they respond to investigate, when they see that you are not in fact “waiving your gun around” or whatever bullshit the caller claimed and are not acting aggressively and are not a threat they leave, see my incident at the concert, that is the kind of interaction most people report.

Police: How are you doing?
You: Fine.
Police: Have a nice day.

Of course it could go sideways but I haven’t heard of that in years, if it does you sue and get a pay day.

In my area (Port Huron) I see a couple of people Open Carrying regularly and I have never seen them have an incident.

As for me I typically Open Carry when I have to (because of pistol free zones), or when I am making a political point.

Dress well, act professionally, don’t be aggressive with anyone, avoid conflict if you can, and just act normally and you should have no issues.

Tiribulus

As for me I typically Open Carry when I have to (because of pistol free zones), or when I am making a political point.
Thank you for your response sir :) That really was all I was looking for.

As for this quoted piece here, I'm not sure I understand. Pistol free zones force you to open carry?

Tiribulus

Another group to check out (I don't know if he/they organize things, but it's good to read) is Black Guns Matter, started by a black guy from Philly, I believe.

Here's a recent post on Fascistbook:

Over the last few months there have been many people new to our work at @officialblackgunsmatter so it’s important we give a refresher on our work.

#BlackGunsMatter was created to address a serious need to educate urban America on safe and responsible gun ownership.
Decades of the racist practice of #guncontrol has created a void in and disregard for the second amendment in these cities. The negligence and outright ignorance of proper gun ownership has led to more erosion of rights and death in areas where the lack of information has been allowed to fester.

We are here to correct that.

Our free (crowd funded) classes deal with pistol and rifle basics, safety, laws and proper storage of firearms. We are the starting point for new gun owners in America.

We hold seminars in community centers, churches, cafes, convention centers, small businesses and anywhere the people need basic info on ways to defend themselves. All paid for by donations from the people FOR the people.
No judgement, no arrogance, no rights restricted. Just knowledge and support for disenfranchised communities, to strengthen America overall.

If you have supported before, thank you.
If you want to support now, thank you.
If you are a new gun owner, welcome.
We are here for you, we will continue to serve you, thank you for doing your part to defend our nation. #BlackGunsMatter

Support:
GoFundMe.com/BlackGunsMatter
Merch:
BlackGunsMatterShop.com
Subscribe:
YouTube.com/BlackGunsMatter

Download the “Black Guns Matter” app on all platforms.
I've needed to get back to you too.

I know about Black Guns Matter. I've seen Maj on Fox News a few times and I actually tried to have a conversation with him several months ago on Facebook before I realized how well known he was and how many trillions of messages he probably gets every day.

Although it looks like he might be changing a bit on some of the things I can't go along with him on, I still think his extreme-ish (in my view) libertarianism is not workable.

The idea of local authorities deciding which laws they will gratuitously and unilaterally enforce, or not, is not helpful and cannot ever happen with our form of government. I do think he's pointed in a much better direction than the nanny state trusting, big government leftism that is unfortunately espoused by so much of black America.

solus

I know about Black Guns Matter. I've seen Maj on Fox News a few times and I actually tried to have a conversation with him several months ago on Facebook before I realized how well known he was and how many trillions of messages he probably gets every day.

Although it looks like he might be changing a bit on some of the things I can't go along with him on, I still think his extreme-ish (in my view) libertarianism is not workable.

The idea of local authorities deciding which laws they will gratuitously and unilaterally enforce, or not, is not helpful and cannot ever happen with our form of government. I do think he's pointed in a much better direction than the nanny state trusting, big government leftism that is unfortunately espoused by so much of black America.
I am sure Maj will be losing sleep knowing you disapprove of his idealism....

rof

KBCraig

It's more likely that he was skipping out to the next campaign stop to grift more money. That seemed to be a priority to him over actually being in Philadelphia for his council race.

As for his "extreme libertarianism", he quit the LP over criticism of his anti-immigration and anti-LGBTQ views.

Only after he collected the money, of course.

Tiribulus

It's more likely that he was skipping out to the next campaign stop to grift more money. That seemed to be a priority to him over actually being in Philadelphia for his council race.

As for his "extreme libertarianism", he quit the LP over criticism of his anti-immigration and anti-LGBTQ views.

Only after he collected the money, of course.

Well, at best, that's not very good form. I didn't know about all that.

I do have to say that despite being a sharp guy with some REALLY good ideas, he seems to be on an incurable quest for uniqueness. In some of his videos he goes hard after some folks that he really should see as allies overall. Momentum requires numbers and that's not the way to get them.

I do agree with him too that gun control is a racist concept. Or at least has a very racist component. The last thing that the left wants is a self sufficient citizenry.

They have been quite successful in recent decades, in selling victimhood in America, seeing blacks as a ready made voting block in that regard due to this nation's history. "You can't possibly make it here because white America is oppressing you and we will stop that" Which of course translates into: "Trust us. We'll take care of you with white people's money, which you are owed anyway."

Personal self defense through the keeping and bearing of legal arms is super self empowering and brings with it a sense of independence that scares the pants off of liberals who have built their careers on needing people to need them. Toure does understand all this and I'll give him full props for that.