• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the Detroit Area?

Tiribulus

Please assume I am fully legal and know ALL the MCL having to do with OC in Michigan.

I am in fact fully legal and I am well versed in all the applicable law.

What I'm looking for is what people who actually do OC, or know people personally who OC in and around the Detroit area are experiencing in real life.

Forget about the law and what our rights are according to it please. That won't stop the nanny state do gooders from calling the police on the scary guy with the scary gun on his hip.

I would prefer CC overall, but from the looks of it I'll probably be in a nursing home before I get an appointment with the county clerk.

Life is tough and complicated already. I have no time or money to go back and forth to court trying to deal with getting my gun back and clearing myself if some bed wetting leftist calls the police on me and they arrest me and or confiscate my firearm. Even if wrongly and I'm ultimately exonerated in the end.

I won't open carry if there is a decent chance this will happen.

Thanks

solus

mate, did you re-read your very first hyperbole post on this OPEN CARRY site...
1) I would prefer to CC...
2) I won't open carry...

hummm...will stick w/my initial assessment...H U H?

Tiribulus

I would prefer CC overall, but from the looks of it I'll probably be in a nursing home before I get an appointment with the county clerk.
In Michigan, once you pass your CPL (concealed pistol license) class, you have to make an appointment with the clerk for the county in which you live to be fingerprinted, pay your fee and show your CPL class cert so they can run a background check on you. Only after this process will they give you a CPL.

The Wayne County clerk's office (Detroit) hasn't taken appointments in a while and right now they're saying it may be 2022 before any new applicants can make their appointment. Therefore I am unable to legally concealed carry.

So, while I would prefer CC overall, I am only left with OC which is legal with any handgun you legally own.

Now that you guys know all this, please go back to my first post and see if it makes more sense.

That's why I specified "in and around the Detroit area" and said that somebody will know what I'm talking about.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean that the locals around here won't flip out at the sight of a gun and call the police on you. If that is going to be a regular occurrence, with much hoop jumping to follow, I will not open carry. It ain't worth it.

solus

Strange...MI gunowners forum has no 2021 postings under the heading:

CPL Issuance Timelines By County​

wonder why?

MIopencarry not a word on cpl delays by county overseers...place is dead!
as quoted by site administrator..."These days people prefer our facebook pages."

firearms talk - Michigan gun forum died years ago...

Michigan sportsman doesn't have any current information on cpl delays?

even usacarry's Michigan forum site lacks any current rhetoric on cpl...

so mate if this has been going on...why aren't of MI citizens screaming to their county overseers, the elected Sheriff, legislators, ad nauseam?

Finally mate, guess OC is also outta your grasp cuz from handgunlaw.us...quote:
Open Carry is legal with restrictions.

You MUST have a valid permit/license to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle in Michigan.
Unquote https://handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf

Tiribulus

I already knew anyway, but the instructor at the CPL class last Sunday also confirmed that even though the clerk's office is doing other business it is ignoring applications for CPL, not answering phone calls and the website has been down for a month now too.

Why would somebody make all this up?

Tiribulus

So then. Seeing that I am unable to legally carry concealed for the foreseeable future and I live in an area with an inordinately high population of lobotomized liberals whose index fingers reflexively land on their 911 button at the site of a firearm, I am looking for some folks who have actual experience open carrying in the Detroit area. Good or bad.

Hopefully this has sunk in now :)

I have threads like this on a few different forums.

Tiribulus

To try to be somewhat fair to these folks, Detroit is also a hellhole of sickness and death so some of their out flipping in response to somebody carrying a gun I guess is somewhat understandable. That doesn't change my question though.

solus

Tiribulus, errrr Greg, as the lion of Judah, you state you have threads like what you posted here on a few different forums..
1) like vaping underground or Reddit vaping site [ https://www.reddit.com/user/tiribulus/ ]
2) MP Forum doesn't have any posting from you regarding the MI CPL delays [ https://www.mp-pistol.com/members/tiribulus.51636/#latest-activity ];
3) nor nothing on your very own dot com site [ http://tiribulus.com/wordpress/about/ ] nada mentioned about MI CPL delays;
4) kinda like the MI forums, you were previously shown...

don't have a bloody word regarding this subject?

and you believed the CPL instructor you paid $$$ to on the Sabbath no less...really...?

finally if you knew all about this...why the uproar greg?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Tiribulus, you joined Tuesday 03/30/21. My question to you is how much time have you spent perusing this forum? This forum has been around since 2006. I have written many posts on how to deal with government agencies (police) and giving proper notice to those agencies as it would relate to open carry; this forum is dedicated to open carry.

From reading your first post you have chosen not to partake in all the information on this forum, but instead you want someone to solve your problem. And by the way, the people complaining about open carry is not your problem. It is the police that will be your problem.

I will give you a hint, NOTICE to the police (all the police agencies around your area) as to the law of open carry and your (Greg Smith) plan on exercising that right. And how you go about giving that NOTICE is addressed many times on this forum.

So, I suggest, before getting your panties in a knot, take some time reading this forum before complaining that no one understands your plight.

Tiribulus

Greg, as the lion of Judah
I stopped reading right there. You clearly are not interested in anything I actually have to say. Not that there's any particular reason why you should be. You can't even read my banner rightly.

I was just coming here looking for some information.

@color of law I have spent the last couple months researching everything I could find, including yes, the threads on this site. Can you please point me to where anybody has discussed the question I actually did ask? Which was real life experience from folks open carrying in Wayne County Michigan? If I missed it I apologize.

I have been a computer professional for 21 years and have vast experience with internet research. It's a huge part of what I do. This thread and the ones at other sites are a last resort because I could not find what I was looking for (please see above)

Maybe I'm in the wrong place.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I stopped reading right there. You clearly are not interested in anything I actually have to say. Not that there's any particular reason why you should be. You can't even read my banner rightly.

@color of law I have spent the last couple months researching everything I could find, including yes, the threads on this site. Can you please point me to where anybody has discussed the question I actually did ask? Which was real life experience from folks open carrying in Wayne County Michigan? If I missed it I apologize.

I have been a computer professional for 21 years and have vast experience with internet research. It's a huge part of what I do. This thread and the ones at other sites are a last resort because I could not find what I was looking for (please see above)

Your question is irrelevant as to the experience of others. Someone else's experiences may never fit your experience. And if it did, it is still irrelevant. Because, more than likely, not one of them gave NOTICE to the police of your intentions, to open carry.

Have a read about NOTICE.

solus

let's see greg you say "I cant't even read your banner rightly..."

Open Carry in the Detroit Area?​

As I stated in my post, thread #4:
"...your very first hyperbole post on this OPEN CARRY site...
1) I would prefer to CC...
2) I won't open carry..."

As I pointed out in my post, thread #8:
"You MUST have a valid permit/license to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle in Michigan."
https://handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf

Greg, you state, "you've been researching this the last several months [???]" yet, knowing what you found out regarding the lack of service by the clerk's office, you still went ahead and JUST TOOK THE CPL COURSE...and are now whining you can't immediately turn this around ~ a process which MI statues normally allows 60 days...

Greg your last two months of posts on MP forums ~ notice a theme "Lion of Judah" you're not understanding yet chastised me stating I have a problem - really!!!

https://www.mp-pistol.com/members/tiribulus.51636/#latest-activity: quote

1) Wow, I apologize I didn't realize it was the EZ you were describing, I'm talking about the wrong gun then. Carry on.
2) Oh oops. I should have read more carefully. Sorry :)
3) I think he's hesitant to let me work on it. He knows all the work I've done on mine, but can't force the ol boy :) [you're now publicly bragging about fixing firearms ARE YOU an ATF LICENSED GUNSMITH if not...humm!!!]
4) There must be a misunderstanding.
5) I think it's pretty clear that I don't know what I'm talking about.
6) It looks like I may be wrong about this.
7) I don't keep close track of these things and hadn't heard about the later changes.

unquote

Tiribulus

@solus For some reason my presence here offends you.
There is context to every one of my statements you quote. You have gone out of your way to chase me down and attempt to discredit me when all I did was come here looking for help. I have no control over that.

Suffice it to say, I am very good with mechanics and working with my hands. Always have been. I never claimed to be a gunsmith, but I did a complete trigger job on my M&P 45 full size and it came out perfectly.
resizetj.jpg

Super smooth now, and a bit lighter with the MCarbo kit. I went back to the stock striker spring because the one from MCarbo made the pull too light for me.

This is 7 yards, 50 rounds, 3 round drills. I'm proud of that for only having my own handgun for a few months and you're not gonna take it away from me :)
7resyrds3.jpg

Last edited:

Tiribulus

Have a read about NOTICE.
I now have.

I don't want to put words in your mouth. Are you saying to go to the police station and tell them that I will be carrying openly? If so, for my immediate vicinity, I would have no problem doing that. In fact, when I dropped off my registration slips there, the 2 different cops on 2 different occasions both gave me a hearty congratulations on buying a personal handgun. I'm not of the impression that every Redford Township cop is an anti 2A private gun hater.

If you're not saying that, then please explain where I have gone wrong.