• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carriers Needed For LA Times Interview

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Wouldn't it be a good idea to look into some of the journalist's past work? Perhaps some idea of his attitude towards gun ownership and/or carry could be gleaned from such an effort.

I imagine it would probably be easy to find every article he wrote for the LA Times if you knew his name...
That is an excellent idea and I did that very thing before I began introducing him to OCDO members. :D

Based upon his work history, I expect the piece to be fair. His stated intention is to expose LA Times readers to the fact that outside of their "world", attitudes and opinions about guns are very different.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I invited Clark Aposhian too. It seems like he will be there but a little bit late due to the fact that he has a CCW class that evening.

TJ

southernbnb

imported post

this looks to be an awesome opportunity for OCDO. please let us all know when you have a ball park date for the article to be published! now we just need something like this to happen on the east coast!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

southernbnb wrote:
this looks to be an awesome opportunity for OCDO. please let us all know when you have a ball park date for the article to be published! now we just need something like this to happen on the east coast!

This what SGTJensen wrote:

The meet will be on Wednesday, April 9th at 7:00 P.M. This should give most people enough time after work, and still not be too late in the evening. The place will be Sweet Tomatoes in Sandy near the South Town Mall. Here is the address.

Sweet Tomatoes
10060 S. State St.
Sandy, Utah

If you need directions, the can be found by clicking on this link.
http://www.sweettomatoes.com/locations/restaurant.asp?store_id=54&store_name=Sandy

For those who are not familiar , it is a buffet style restaurant. If you still have last Sunday's paper, there are some dinner coupons in the Smart Source ads. I have enough for sixteen people, in case you are cheap like me. :p

I chose Sweet Tomatoes because there are 44 locations in California, and I figure that the California readers can relate to us better if there is a familiar name in the story. (And because my wife really likes their food! ;))

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know some might take this the wrong way, but, here goes.

Because of the audience - "city people"

Don't you think that even if the article shows open carry in a favorable way, most would just shrug and say, "Well, yea, it's Utah." I suppose that would be ok there."

I think the writer should do Utah and a state that's a little more IDk, for lack of a better word...mainstream, like say Arizona.

Before anyone flames, I have nothing whatsoever against Utah, it's just that I think in most people's minds, especially city people they would view it as mostly farming communities or something.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:

Don't you think that even if the article shows open carry in a favorable way, most would just shrug and say, "Well, yea, it's Utah." I suppose that would be ok there."

I think the writer should do Utah and a state that's a little more IDk, for lack of a better word...mainstream, like say Arizona.

Before anyone flames, I have nothing whatsoever against Utah, it's just that I think in most people's minds, especially city people they would view it as mostly farming communities or something.

We've had 2 articles here in Utah before. Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune. They were present at our Dinners before:celebrate.

This will just be even better due to to the fact that we will "show" OCing to the world and that we still have Rights

TJ

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:

We've had 2 articles here in Utah before. Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune. They were present at our Dinners before:celebrate.

This will just be even better due to to the fact that we will "show" OCing to the world and that we still have Rights

TJ

I just have to ask because I've never OC'd before, when you OC in a restaurant, does the food tend to be a little better? Service a little better perhaps? Hehehe

Do you tend to actually get clean silverware?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Never thought of it.

I am treated justlike any other customer. Never been asked to leave a restaurant yet.

Just present yourself well and you will be good.

If you are in SLC area PM me so that we can go out and eat one day.

TJ

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:
...Because of the audience - "city people"

Don't you think that even if the article shows open carry in a favorable way, most would just shrug and say, "Well, yea, it's Utah." I suppose that would be ok there."...
Yep, although I didn't say it, that was part of my thinking - if no "big city" is mentioned where people OC, readers will have just the reaction you described.

For the city-centric LA dwellers, I think Phoenix, Tuscan, etc. would be worth highlighting.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Never thought of it.

I am treated justlike any other customer. Never been asked to leave a restaurant yet.

TJ

Never been asked to leave...that's really great to hear. Man I wish people here were that cool with it.

See now if it were like that here, my actual choice in pistols, well I might give much more of a nod to a revolver if that were the case, it's hard to explain my reasoning for that though.

I know once I get my CCW, the urge to open carry is going toreally...really gnaw at me,I'm going to have to go somewhere where I can at least try it. Utah is good a place as any, hell, especially if I can go into a restaurant without a hastle.

I don't know how long Utah as been OC'ing, but do you find a lot of people ask you what your carrying? Also, I wonder if guns tend to run a little cheaper in OC states.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Never thought of it.

TJ

Never been asked to leave...that's really great to hear. Man I wish people here were that cool with it.

See now if it were like that here, my actual choice in pistols, well I might give much more of a nod to a revolver if that were the case, it's hard to explain my reasoning for that though.

I know once I get my CCW, the urge to open carry is going toreally...really gnaw at me,I'm going to have to go somewhere where I can at least try it. Utah is good a place as any, hell, especially if I can go into a restaurant without a hastle.

I don't know how long Utah as been OC'ing, but do you find a lot of people ask you what your carrying? Also, I wonder if guns tend to run a little cheaper in OC states.

Utah has ALWAYS been a OC State:celebrate. Never been a ban against it as far as I know. BTA ( But Then Again ) I'm NOT an historian.

TJ

Paul Volk

imported post

Hello all. I read the LA Times article this morning while at work. It also lead me to this website, and I've spent the last 5 hours here, reading.

I'd like to commend everyone involved. You guys haverepresented this website and the OC community quite well. I'mproud to be a new member here. :)