• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olmos, TX police injure and arrest open carrier - President of Open Carry Texas

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
So I took a moment to quickly scan the "we-are-pro-carry-if-you-do-it-our-way-and-give-us-money" site, run by the ever-increasingly addle-minded Chuckie "Textile" Cotton, only to discover that there appears to be a virtual blackout of discussion, news, reports, or even mention with regard to the very successful Olmos incidents and activities.

Of course, given that little Chuckie reigns pretty much supreme within the TSRA, I am disgusted, but not at all surprised.
A year or more ago I was removed from Chuckie's forum for raising the subject of <gasp> open carry.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Here's my Facebook post about my trip. I'll post pics if I can figure out how to do so.

TEXAS: where everything is bigger!! (including **GUN RIGHTS** walks)

Yesterday morning I returned from my 3,400 mile first-time trip to/from and around Texas, where my primary purpose was to attend an Open Carry Texas walk/rally in Olmos Park, TX, and to observe Open Carry Texas in action. Olmos Park was the site of a recent abuse of power situation by the Chief and officers against the head of OCT (CJ Grisham) as well as others.

I'd followed Open Carry Texas for years, reading both the congratulations and criticisms of their actions and felt that this event was totally justified - so I decided to go.

You think you've seen a lot of huge pickup trucks? Uh... NO. Huge, towering highway interchanges with THREE levels? Uh... NO. The Lone Star plastered all over? Five or so different climate and culture zones in the same state? Amazing!

My first contact was with Amy Hedtke, who I thought was a gun-rights person, but who's actually a First Amendment activist (do an internet search) and self-described anarchist. She invited me to a SREC Texas gathering where I had the opportunity to meet Terry Holcomb Sr., head of Texas Carry, his wife Gina, and other gun-rights supporting GOP members. I received a warm Texas welcome when they found out I was from Cincinnati. :) Thanks Amy!

The next day was the walk/rally, scheduled to start at noon, but when I arrived at 10 AM there were at least 100 people already there! I walked around, took pictures, and talked to people. The militia groups had impressive vehicles and uniforms, the crowd was multi-cultural and mixed sex, firearms were on slings and in holsters. People were very friendly, and they were shocked when they found out where I was from - but then I met someone who not only knew who I was (!) and who had traveled nearly as far as I - from Arizona!

I met Richard Briscoe, the Legislative Director for OCT, and with whom I later had lunch. I also met David Amad, VP of OCT, who I'd briefly spoken to prior to the walk. Both gentlemen are total class acts, and deeply committed to expanding firearms rights and privileges.

The Olmos Park police made themselves scarce during the walk, with the San Antonio police directing/stopping traffic so that participants could cross the main street into the upscale residential portion of Olmos Park. Just by chance, I got to meet the Chief of San Antonio, who was in a marked SUV.

In all, I was impressed by OCT's leaders and the 500+ participants. I enjoyed myself in Texas, and learned a number of things about TX politics and the TX gun rights environment.

As a side note, it was apparent in my conversations with various people that that approaches differ between individuals and groups as to how to advance gun rights and privileges - even in a much more favorable environment than Ohio.

It's a damn shame that Texas is so far away! :D

Below I'll provide a link to an individual's numerous pictures of the event. Joining Open Carry Texas' FB group will allow you to see more pics as well as videos.

Thanks Texas!

P.S. - As I understand it, CJ Grisham didn't participate in the event because of the (bogus) charges pending against him

P.P.S. - I indicated that my photos were taken in Olmos Park, though they were actually taken in San Antonio, which completely surrounds OP, and where the rally point was because of concerns that the OP Police would act out again.

400+ pictures by another participant:https://www.facebook.com/groups/opencarrytexas/permalink/954196001409985/

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Rights activist Amy Hedtke (search her name). Check out those boots!

2wnxs1t.jpg

Terry Holcomb, head of Texas Carry

1j3ic0.jpg

Richard Briscoe, Legislative Director of Open Carry Texas

11t635l.jpg

Phillip Turner, of the First Amendment case Turner vs Driver. See https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...-rules-you-have-the-right-to-film-the-police/

53lr3s.jpg

A participant (named Greg, I believe) who live-streamed the Olmos Park city council's repeal of their "no long gun carry" ordinance

2zexl76.jpg

David Amad, VP of Open Carry Texas

27wt16x.jpg

Joe, the only visibly armed black participant I saw. He said it was his first time to OC, and that he only felt safe doing so in a crowd

14wprbs.jpg

Two participants from Arizona! The fellow on the left called me by my OCDO handle. I was stunned, to say the least! He can identify himself if he chooses.

28re4ic.jpg

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Some criminal standing where CJ Grisham (head of Open Carry Texas) was accosted by the Olmos Park Police

2qkmpti.jpg

Members from two of the TX militias represented

211nof7.jpg

Various participants

687ww3.jpg

Various participants

szj2pv.jpg

GIANT banner

34617ye.jpg

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Crowd pics, two at the rally point in San Antonio, and two in the residential area of Olmos Park - which is affluent, btw.

2ai1vv5.jpg

2u74ydz.jpg

10nrptj.jpg

htv0xe.jpg

Chief McManus of the San Antonio PD

ofrcpl.jpg

There's no shortage of Lone Star images in TX!

2qiuwep.jpg

Signage at a rest stop (which are huge, btw) on the way home

opcpxv.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you much BB62. That group would make any state proud.

BTW - appreciate the GSL sticker on your hat...:D

TXOC16

David Amad, VP of Open Carry Texas

Thanks for the photos and the great report. You're one of the few people who can make David Amad look like a little pipsqueak, which as anyone who has stood next to him knows, he is most definitely not!

HP995

Absolutely beautiful pics! Love the ARs and S2K too. I hope more marches will be happening in all states.

KBCraig

So I took a moment to quickly scan the "we-are-pro-carry-if-you-do-it-our-way-and-give-us-money" site, run by the ever-increasingly addle-minded Chuckie "Textile" Cotton, only to discover that there appears to be a virtual blackout of discussion, news, reports, or even mention with regard to the very successful Olmos incidents and activities.

Of course, given that little Chuckie reigns pretty much supreme within the TSRA, I am disgusted, but not at all surprised.

11vrcJ1.gif

I shook the dust from my feet many years ago when it comes to anything involving Chuckie.

BB62, how many times did you hear, "You a big ol' boy, ain't ya?"

Also, I hope they introduced you to actual chili, not that Skyline spaghetti sauce. :lol:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

I shook the dust from my feet many years ago when it comes to anything involving Chuckie.

BB62, how many times did you hear, "You a big ol' boy, ain't ya?"

Also, I hope they introduced you to actual chili, not that Skyline spaghetti sauce. :lol:
Hey, watch it buster.......

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...BB62, how many times did you hear, "You a big ol' boy, ain't ya?" ...
Not once! Of course, maybe it was my squinty-eyed look and obvious itchy trigger finger! :eek: :rolleyes:

... Also, I hope they introduced you to actual chili, not that Skyline spaghetti sauce. :lol:
I didn't have the opportunity to eat what they puzzlingly call "chili" in TX :rolleyes:, but I did eat a late lunch with some of the walk/rally participants at a Rudy's Country Store & BBQ in Schertz, TX! :cool:

Last edited:

TXOC16

Although he was, arguably, the more brutally attacked of the two, CJ has decent legal representation. On the other hand, Jim Everard, an oath-keeping patriot and a truly selfless individual if there ever was one, might be able to use some help with his legal bills. By all means, do your own Google research and let your conscience be your guide:

http://fnd.us/61LTo7?ref=ab_27ERwc_sh_4V4a6nBLblR4V4a6nBLblR

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
@gutshot II:

I agree with your "talking points" and sentiments 100% (you're one of the FEW who see the "situation" clearly). Additionally, I wanted to say that I also appreciate what OCT has done here in TX.
So, I just wanted to do this quick "FYI" post in support of how you see things (re: MOST gun owners, and ESPECIALLY gun carriers) as I see the very same complacency, apathy and laziness myself (as personally experienced since 2008, organizing/hosting many OC/CC events in 3 states: CO, NM and now TX). And PLENTY of lame excuses for not being involved/active -- they're completely useless to the pro-gun/carry "cause." It's absolutely disgraceful...
Gun owners/carriers are their own worst enemy and don't even know it. Even if they DO know, they're apparently in denial of it.
Either way, they have only themselves to blame, not "the Left" or the anti-gun/gun-control people...
I won't say more due to some people here as I don't want to argue with them (one reason I no longer post here as I used to).
Regards,
-- cloudcroft
(President, Open Carry El Paso)

Last edited:

solus

Although he was, arguably, the more brutally attacked of the two, CJ has decent legal representation. On the other hand, Jim Everard, an oath-keeping patriot and a truly selfless individual if there ever was one, might be able to use some help with his legal bills. By all means, do your own Google research and let your conscience be your guide:

http://fnd.us/61LTo7?ref=ab_27ERwc_sh_4V4a6nBLblR4V4a6nBLblR

Wait you mean CJ doesn’t cover legal expenses of his fellow activists at his shock and awe civil disobedience activist sessions?

The same CJ associated as membership director with https://www.selfdefensefund.com/terms-conditions/ ?

I’m shocked I tell you, absolutely shocked!

But how did you word it eariler TXOCT, oh ya:

THOSE who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it.” Payne.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
@gutshot II:

I agree with your "talking points" and sentiments 100% (you're one of the FEW who see the "situation" clearly). Additionally, I wanted to say that I also appreciate what OCT has done here in TX.
So, I just wanted to do this quick "FYI" post in support of how you see things (re: MOST gun owners, and ESPECIALLY gun carriers) as I see the very same complacency, apathy and laziness myself (as personally experienced since 2008, organizing/hosting many OC/CC events in 3 states: CO, NM and now TX). And PLENTY of lame excuses for not being involved/active -- they're completely useless to the pro-gun/carry "cause." It's absolutely disgraceful...
Gun owners/carriers are their own worst enemy and don't even know it. Even if they DO know, they're apparently in denial of it.
Either way, they have only themselves to blame, not "the Left" or the anti-gun/gun-control people...
I won't say more due to some people here as I don't want to argue with them (one reason I no longer post here as I used to).
Regards,
-- cloudcroft
(President, Open Carry El Paso)
Interesting background!

If you're ever in Cincinnati, let me know.