• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oh dear ~ Alcohol is the most commonly used illegal drug among U.S. high school students.

solus

per, journal of studies on alcohol and drugs, from the alcohol and substances use studies, quote:

Underage youth drank 11.73% of the alcoholic drinks sold in the U.S. market in 2011 and 8.6% in 2016. Total sales revenue attributable to underage consumption was $20.9 billion (10.0%) out of a total of $208.0 billion in 2011 and $17.5 billion (7.4%) out of $237.1 billion in 2016. Three alcoholic beverage companies represented nearly half (44.7%) of the market share of beverages consumed by underage youth.

Despite the alcoholic beverage industry's stated commitment to reducing underage drinking, significant revenues appear to accrue from this activity. This presents an opportunity to enact and enforce policies—such as alcohol taxes or required company funding of independently managed youth drinking prevention initiatives—that recover these revenues from the industry and use them to help achieve the goal of preventing youth alcohol consumption.

[sidebar: i make no validity, repeatability, nor if appropriate research scientific processes were followed in preparing this study.]

2a4all

Firearms Iinstuctor

Raising the age to 21.

IMHO all it did was make what was common practice illegal.

Causing huge numbers of adults 18-21 to have records and be put in the system.

2a4all

Raising the age to 21.

IMHO all it did was make what was common practice illegal.

Causing huge numbers of adults 18-21 to have records and be put in the system.
Yes, it made the common (foolish IMHO) practice illegal. Kinda the point. Laws don't cause anyone to become criminals. Folks only become criminals if they choose to violate the law. No one forced these folks/adults? to drink.

Don't you emphasize responsible behavior in your firearms classes?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, it made the common (foolish IMHO) practice illegal. Kinda the point. Laws don't cause anyone to become criminals. Folks only become criminals if they choose to violate the law. No one forced these folks/adults? to drink.

There are all kinds of unconstitutional laws on the books. And no one has a duty to comply with an unconstitutional law. Prohibition didn't work.

See:

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I am a firm believer in responsibly behavior.

I also believe the government doesn't have to regulate all aspects of life.

CJ4wd

Only because the government made it so.

When I was senior in HS the drinking age was 18.

So for all us 18 year old's it wasn't illegal.
Back in the early 70s, IL-ANNOY dropped the age on beer and wine to 18. Three years later, they realized it was a bad idea and kicked it back up to 21 on 1/1/76. I got carded more my last 8 months of college than I had the previous two years. :LOL:

KBCraig

Back in the early 70s, IL-ANNOY dropped the age on beer and wine to 18. Three years later, they realized it was a bad idea and kicked it back up to 21 on 1/1/76. I got carded more my last 8 months of college than I had the previous two years. :LOL:
In 1986 when the feds coerced all states to set their drinking age at 21 (thanks to Nancy Reagan), and the U.S. Department of Defense issued orders that the drinking age on all CONUS military installations would be the same as surrounding states, I made a prediction: DWI for 18-20 year old enlisted personnel would skyrocket.

That's exactly what happened. There was no discretion about carding on post.

Instead of being able to hit the E-club and then safely catch a post bus back to their barracks, they took their chances downtown. They got drunk, and they got busted.