• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Odd walmart incident non OC but relivant

carry for myself

went to Walmart in scarborough last night around 11. need a 100rd box of WWB 9mm for the range today. picked it up, went to cash out. got ID'd per usual then something odd happened the clerk asked me "is this for a handgun or a rifle" not thinking too much i said "handgun" she then punched in my DRIVERS LICENSE number THEN my birth date.......... I've never had this happen or heard of this happening anywhere ever.........is Walmart now tracking who buys what and how much of it?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
WOW WTF? I would not have let them punch license number in. Did you ask questions as to why they did that?

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

went to Walmart in scarborough last night around 11. need a 100rd box of WWB 9mm for the range today. picked it up, went to cash out. got ID'd per usual then something odd happened the clerk asked me "is this for a handgun or a rifle" not thinking too much i said "handgun" she then punched in my DRIVERS LICENSE number THEN my birth date.......... I've never had this happen or heard of this happening anywhere ever.........is Walmart now tracking who buys what and how much of it?

I bought a 100 9mm couple weeks ago. They ask me the same question and I never gave it second thought. You're right though, strange?

KBCraig

I've never heard of that, and I wouldn't allow it. The DL wouldn't leave my hand, but the clerk could see it to verify my date of birth.

It's silly, but it's either legal or illegal for someone 18-20 to buy ammo, depending on whether it's for a long gun or handgun -- even if it's the same ammo, and even if the buyer legally owns both long guns and handguns chambered in that caliber. "For" a rifle is legal, "for" a handgun is illegal.

N605TW

Activist Member
I think there is an age restriction on ammunition. You must be 18 years or older to buy rifle ammunition and 21 years or older for pistol ammunition. I have only been asked if the ammo was for a rifle or pistol when buying .22LR because it is used for both rifle and pistol.

My drivers licence doesn't leave my glove box. All that is needed is an ID issued from a state or the federal government that has your date of birth on it. I sometimes use my CHL or some other id because its fun to throw them off, they are expecting a drivers licence that has a bar code that they can scan.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wal-Mart is operating correctly within the scope of the law.

FFLs are prohibited from selling or transferring handguns or handgun ammunition to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. Id. Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (5).

SovereignAxe

I think there is an age restriction on ammunition. You must be 18 years or older to buy rifle ammunition and 21 years or older for pistol ammunition. I have only been asked if the ammo was for a rifle or pistol when buying .22LR because it is used for both rifle and pistol.
My drivers licence doesn't leave my glove box. All that is needed is an ID issued from a state or the federal government that has your date of birth on it. I sometimes use my CHL or some other id because its fun to throw them off, they are expecting a drivers licence that has a bar code that they can scan.

bingo. my guess is that they've wised up that lots of "rifle ammo" can be and is used in pistols, and ask that question to try and trick the 18-20 year olds trying to buy pistol ammo. why they really care is anyone's guess, but the law is the law. I'm sure the sales associate is just going through the motions to follow the rules.

boyscout399

FFLs are prohibited from selling or transferring handguns or handgun ammunition to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 21. Id. Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(1), (5).

I think that the complaint is not with the question or the proof of age requirement, but with the fact that the cashier is punching the drivers license number into the computer where it is stored. Viewing is one thing, writing down and storing your personal information is another. The law does not require nor does it authorize a company to collect and store people's drivers license numbers. This, coupled with the fact that many store chains computer systems have recently been breached and computer data compromised makes me unlikely to want my DL number available to the next hacker who wants to hack Walmart's system.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
----snip---. The law does not require nor does it authorize a company to collect and store people's drivers license numbers. This, coupled with the fact that many store chains computer systems have recently been breached and computer data compromised makes me unlikely to want my DL number available to the next hacker who wants to hack Walmart's system.

This does not need to be authorized or required by statute.

Understand the reluctance, but Wal-Mart as a private entity may set higher standards - not unlike "we card anyone under 40 years of age for alcohol and tobacco products."

If you don't want your information in their system, shop somewhere else.

carsontech

Activist Member
The Wal-Marts here in SC, atleast in the "Upstate Area", are not entering DL numbers when buying handgun ammo... yet. The cashiers just ask me if I'm "old enough" (I look younger than I am), and I reply "yes", and the transaction continues. I've only been carded a few times when buying handgun ammo, I never let my ID leave my wallet, and I never let my wallet leave my hand.

Last edited:

MKEgal

I've seen complaints about Tahr-zhay doing the same thing:
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/06/targets_the_ret.html
http://www.papersplease.org/wp/2008/06/27/target-store-scans-driver’s-license-id-card-data/

Most people who have commented seem to agree that checking age is one thing, but keeping personal data without consent is right out.

Several people suggest leaving your DL in your car (or on your motorcycle), which is the only place you really do need it, & carrying a non-swipable ID such as a carry permit. I do this, & it throws store clerks all the time.

Sometimes I use my ID from volunteering w/ a branch of the military. (Even better than a carry permit, because it doesn't have my address.)

Have also seen the suggestion to put painter's tape or something similar over the bar code - won't let it be scanned, can be easily removed if needed by a LEO.
Or just keep the license in your hand, don't relinquish control.
The clerk can read your DOB & enter it without having it in hand.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Interesting report.

I normally buy my ammo from my LGS and this has never happened.

Maybe, it's just a WalMart thing. If so, I'll not buy ammo from them.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Unls you look young, don't show any ID. I made walmart in Kingstowne, VA back down on that the last time I bought ammo.

Refuse. Make them pay with their time. Complain to manager. Complain to walmart.

jonjon_jon

To me it's not a big deal but I did get asked what I was going to use the ammo for and I"m in my fifties. I think it's just store policy to have their employee ask.

gprod55

I have never been asked for an ID from our local Walmart when buying ammo. Course I'm 67 and I guess they think I'm old enough. I have been asked my birthdate but that was all.

Red Dawg

My feeling is that it is a cashier being anal. When an old fart like me buys beer, they, around here, just type in a date that is over 21. Don't understand why they need to keep any information. They only need to prove over 21. Or 18, whatever..If you are over 21, there is no reason to slow the sale of any ammo.

carry for myself

I just found it upsetting for the reason of...well where does it stop? And where does that information go? If I buy 10 250rnd umc boxes is the atf going to show up at my house? Why does walmart care what I buy as long as my ID states I'm over 21? Just reminds me why I shop at cabelas lol spend tens of thousands there a year. Only id'd when I buy guns lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just found it upsetting for the reason of...well where does it stop? And where does that information go? If I buy 10 250rnd umc boxes is the atf going to show up at my house? Why does walmart care what I buy as long as my ID states I'm over 21? Just reminds me why I shop at cabelas lol spend tens of thousands there a year. Only id'd when I buy guns lol

Prone to exaggerate much?

Really? $10,000, $20,000, $30,000 per year at Cabelas?

You do all of that on the hourly income of a hotel groundsman per your profile or did you win the lottery?

Seems to me that the old persona is creeping out of the closet - might be time to close that door.

MilProGuy

Same with me at my two local gun stores.

The only time I produce an ID is when I buy a firearm; but never for ammunition purchases.