• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Lewiston Me

USNVet

Just made a trip into Tractor Supply for a few things. The Store was empty as it was 1/2 hour from closing time. I grabbed what I needed, checked out. The check out girl didn't seem to act nervous or anything and no questions asked. It appeared she was there alone.

I stopped down the road on Rt 196 at what used to be a Big Apple, to buy a pack of cig's. Double checked the signs on the front door and went about my business.
The middle eastern looking gentlemen rang me up and off I went. No questions or issues.

Flashlight

Just made a trip into Tractor Supply for a few things. The Store was empty as it was 1/2 hour from closing time. I grabbed what I needed, checked out. The check out girl didn't seem to act nervous or anything and no questions asked. It appeared she was there alone.

I stopped down the road on Rt 196 at what used to be a Big Apple, to buy a pack of cig's. Double checked the signs on the front door and went about my business.
The middle eastern looking gentlemen rang me up and off I went. No questions or issues.

What were you checking for for signs?

USNVet

I was making sure there were no "no firearms" signs, as then you would be trespassing.

USNVet

I'm pretty sure having a sign posted stating no firearms would fall under 1.c

C. Enters any place from which that person may lawfully be excluded and that is posted in accordance with subsection 4 or in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders or that is fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders. Violation of this paragraph is a Class E crime; [2001, c. 383, §56 (AMD); 2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF).]

Last edited:

Flashlight

I'm pretty sure having a sign posted stating no firearms would fall under 1.c

C. Enters any place from which that person may lawfully be excluded and that is posted in accordance with subsection 4 or in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders or that is fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders. Violation of this paragraph is a Class E crime; [2001, c. 383, §56 (AMD); 2001, c. 383, §156 (AFF).]

You are not an intruder. You are a customer.

Wstar425

I have no idea about Maine law, but my sister lives in Lewiston and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't like you carrying a gun around. I, on the other hand have no problems with it. She doesn't come to visit much but we do live a long ways apart.

In Wisconsin, our no gun signs carry the weight of law. I travel all over the country and I have pretty much given up trying to keep up with 26 or so different sets of state firearm laws. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have no idea about Maine law, but my sister lives in Lewiston and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't like you carrying a gun around. I, on the other hand have no problems with it. She doesn't come to visit much but we do live a long ways apart.

In Wisconsin, our no gun signs carry the weight of law. I travel all over the country and I have pretty much given up trying to keep up with 26 or so different sets of state firearm laws. It's ridiculous.
If you are in possession of a gun while traveling, not being cognizant of the applicable laws can be disaster waiting to happen.

Wstar425

If you are in possession of a gun while traveling, not being cognizant of the applicable laws can be disaster waiting to happen.

Yes, I see how that might have been confusing and misunderstood. I'm not saying I have given up trying to be legal, and just carry illegally. I have taken other precautions to be legal, no matter where I am. Hopefully. Most of the time. I'm talking in a semi truck here. Firearm is unloaded, locked in a gun safe, bolted down in the sleeper, mags unloaded down to 10 rounds, while traveling. A sleeper is considered to be my home, most places, and can not be searched without a search warrant. Would need some reasonable suspicion to do that. I suppose the next step would be to break down a semi auto. At some point you might as well not bother having it at all. If parked at night in an unsafe area, it comes out and is loaded. Should the need arise to actually use it, the matter becomes quickly much more complicated. Also, helps with the issue of theft while out of the truck for eating, showering, unloading, etc. To be honest, if I am awakened from a dead sleep and someone or someones want my truck, the best move would be to probably just let them have it. If you travel to a few certain states, it is probably impossible to be legal as a non resident, no matter what you do. I do go to California, for example. I do NOT go to Canada, or anywhere east of Chicago.

Having said all of that, there is someplace, somewhere, where everything I have just written is still illegal. Not all at once maybe, but each individual example of what I am doing. The Border Patrol checkpoints 75-100 miles in from our southern border in the Constitution Free Zone concerns me somewhat, tho I have never had a problem with them. I limit my open carry to my home state, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada, and Idaho. Even then I don't bother most of the time because I don't want someone to see me with a firearm, then see me carrying a bag into the the truckstop to shower, and not have the firearm, thus concluding I am leaving it in my truck. It's a major pain to come back to your truck and find some asswipe has busted your window and stolen your stuff. Even if they don't get your firearm.

So, when I said I have given up, I mean I have conceded that I am probably not legal everywhere, but have determined the risks are worth the effort. Just barely. That may come back to bite me at some point at which I will probably conclude that it was not worth the effort. Or, I should have made a greater effort. Plan a trip from Wisconsin to California with the intent of carrying a firearm in your vehicle and let me know all of the conditions I have to meet. It's a pretty daunting process, and even with effort you can easily miss something. California probably makes it a no go, just by itself. Of course, that is where you probably need it the most. I regularly sleep in Vernon, Bell Gardens, Commerce, Riverside, Oakland, etc. Really just about everywhere except East LA. With traffic, the best bet is to be there very early in the morning and be where you are supposed to be before 4 am. Not always good. I need to find a different job now that I put it all down.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wstar,
Yikes! I understand your logic, but my advice is to delete the previous posting. I wouldn't want your words to be used against you in a court of law
Problem is that once posted are still retrievable. Best advice is to not post such in the beginning.

Wstar425

I am what I am. I do what I do. I'll live (or not) with the consequences of my decisions. If somebody in some state puts me together with this post, I probably have bigger issues.