• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Guns sign

Mr Birdman

I saw a no guns sign at the rib fest on the north shore this week end. How can they do that and does any one know who put up the sign? Isn't that area public property?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I saw a no guns sign at the rib fest on the north shore this week end. How can they do that and does any one know who put up the sign? Isn't that area public property?
Need more specific information.

Is the festival in a public street/right of way?

gutshot II

I don't believe "no gun" signs have force of law in Pennsylvania.

That is not the point. Many people will not want to get into a controversy with their local government about whether "No Guns" signs are enforceable or not. They will be intimidated and not carry in that place or just stay away. Not everybody is equiped for an all out battle with the local government and their mininons and often such fights would be better of fought by outsiders that can not be retaiiated against in the future. This is why this kind of sign exists. The people that placed them hoped that everyone would be afraid to challenge them. IMHO it would be best if someone from an ajoining county could fight this battle, once we find out where it is.The OP gives little information about location. There is no city or county name and no discribtion of the venue. Is it a park, an open street fair, a fairgrounds, the lawn in front of the County Courthouse?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That is not the point. Many people will not want to get into a controversy with their local government about whether "No Guns" signs are enforceable or not. They will be intimidated and not carry in that place or just stay away. Not everybody is equiped for an all out battle with the local government and their mininons and often such fights would be better of fought by outsiders that can not be retaiiated against in the future. This is why this kind of sign exists. The people that placed them hoped that everyone would be afraid to challenge them. IMHO it would be best if someone from an ajoining county could fight this battle, once we find out where it is.The OP gives little information about location. There is no city or county name and no discribtion of the venue. Is it a park, an open street fair, a fairgrounds, the lawn in front of the County Courthouse?
Point(s) well made.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The Rib Fest is held at Heinz Field, Pittsburgh PA. The whole area is owned and controlled by the city and county. It's public property.
http://www.pgh-sea.com/history.htm

State Preemption - Title 18 § 6120. Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition.

(a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.

defcon4

Heinz Field

My understanding is that Heinz Field was built by taxpayer funds of around 300 million dollars along with about 70 million dollars paid by the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers lease Heinz Field. Not sure how/if the lease agreement might affect the RKBA's. Maybe some with more legal expertise might want to chime in.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
My understanding is that Heinz Field was built by taxpayer funds of around 300 million dollars along with about 70 million dollars paid by the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers lease Heinz Field. Not sure how/if the lease agreement might affect the RKBA's. Maybe some with more legal expertise might want to chime in.
What part of what I wrote above did you not understand? It's just a question.

Last edited:

defcon4

What part of what I wrote above did you not understand? It's just a question.

COL, I understand your post completely. My comment is regarding the fact that Heinz Field is wholly leased by the Pittsburgh Steelers. I was simply asking whether the lease agreement gives the Steelers the right to regulate the property.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
COL, I understand your post completely. My comment is regarding the fact that Heinz Field is wholly leased by the Pittsburgh Steelers. I was simply asking whether the lease agreement gives the Steelers the right to regulate the property.
Only within the stadium during one of their events/games. Outside the stadium the Public Auditorium Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County controls that public property.

Mr Birdman

signs

Only within the stadium during one of their events/games. Outside the stadium the Public Auditorium Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County controls that public property.

I was on my way to do something else on the north shore and did not have time to investigate. I went to my previous planed event which lasted all night at a different park and OC all night long with no issues. If I had time I would have gone back and pressed the issue, and demanded answers. That is why I made this post.