• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New sign at the local (and only) grocery store nearby

junglebob

No firearms or weapons allowed. I guess I'll be traveling a bit further for my vegetables and condiments.

I thought you were going to say the sign said "handgun carry encouraged, please keep holstered unless needed, then judicious marksmanship encouraged". What is Montana coming too?

Now that we have concealed carry in Illinois one bank here in Southern Illinois has a sign "Protected by Smith & Wesson" the bank president said they always had some employees who carried but now they decided to advertise it. A short time ago down here in Cairo Illinois two bank employees were killed by a robber.

The only food stores I've seen posted around here are the Aldis stores and a natural food coop. The Walmarts here in Illinois were posted no carry for employees and vendors but they got a lot of negative feedback from people who carry, including me, because they used the state approved CPZ sign and added wording to it. Those signs came down pretty quickly.

Last edited:

MontanaResident

I thought you were going to say the sign said "handgun carry encouraged, please keep holstered unless needed, then judicious marksmanship encouraged". What is Montana coming too?

Now that we have concealed carry in Illinois one bank here in Southern Illinois has a sign "Protected by Smith & Wesson" the bank president said they always had some employees who carried but now they decided to advertise it. A short time ago down here in Cairo Illinois two bank employees were killed by a robber.

The only food stores I've seen posted around here are the Aldis stores and a natural food coop. The Walmarts here in Illinois were posted no carry for employees and vendors but they got a lot of negative feedback from people who carry, including me, because they used the state approved CPZ sign and added wording to it. Those signs came down pretty quickly.

I am wondering how long this sign will stay up. I've decided to continue to carry in the store, till I am told not to, at which point I'll make my complaint and leave and not return.

MontanaResident

I would laugh my butt off if they get robbed now...lol

I've never heard of a store being robbed at rope point. If it was at gun point, the owner would just get a bigger sign and maybe with graphics for the illiterate criminals. :banghead:

FTG-05

You forgot some very important information. What store and where? Is it a chain, like IGA that are in a lot of small towns?

This. What's the point of the thread except to work to get them to change their minds and take down the signs?

Maverick9

No firearms or weapons allowed. I guess I'll be traveling a bit further for my vegetables and condiments.

Since it looks like a Ma&Pa type store, why not go in, talk to the owner(s), establish a rapport, ask if you can have an exemption. Demonstrate your good attitude, background check, etc. Maybe start out by asking them 'what happened'.

You might even ask if their insurance covers you if you are attacked in their parking lot with your firearm in the car - but first try the friendly approach.

You never know, they might allow it.

MontanaResident

One of my more observant neighbors says the signs been up since Oct2013. I've been in there dozens of times carrying, since then. Seems odd to hang a sign and then make no attempt to even mention it.