• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New owner interested in OC - Lynchburg, VA

Egregious

Hey Everyone,
I'm a new member (first post) and i had a few questions that I wanted to pose to more seasoned and wise members of the community.
I'm a Floridian living in Lynchburg, VA - attending school there.
I have seen a pretty significant amount of people OC in the city, and seen a variety of methods - leather and plastic hip holsters, shoulder holsters (rare), tactical thigh holsters (even more rare).

My question is really based around methods of OC; what holsters are best suited to it? I'd really like to keep the firearm as far away from my pockets as possible so as to never give the impression that i'm "going for" my gun (a problem i immediately associate with hip holsters) but i feel that tactical holsters are incredibly tacky, and shoulder holsters are more suited for CC.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
never give the impression that i'm "going for" my gun (a problem i immediately associate with hip holsters)

1. Welcome to the forum.. glad to have you.

2. My favorite holster is a custom horsehide leather holster on my hip. I never worry, think (or believe that others think) I am ever "going for my gun"
(made by Kramer).. looks like this:
K_HOLSTER_BLK_LG.jpg

I like it very accessible to me and close to my body. I also have a crossbread IWB holster that I don't wear as much but it is very comfortable. I just prefer OWB.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Welcome!

There are several good holsters out there and everyone has their own preference.

I typically wear mine at 4 o'clock a little behind my pocket for ease of access to both.

What ever holster you decide on, I strongly recommend some form of retention. If you go with leather this will probably mean a thumb break. If you go with plastic it will be some kind of button that releases the gun.

I like SERPA holsters and use them for several of my guns, Sig, H&K, 1911. There are different levels of retention but the level 2 is fine with me. Some people want a higher level but you have to practice (with any) to make sure you can access your gun in a timely (lifesaving) manner.

I have some leather holsters and like them for their fit but none of mine have retention so I typically don't wear them out much. You can spend anywhere from $20 to hundreds for a holster depending on type. The nice thing about the SERPA is that it usually runs around $35 online. A good leather holster from Safariland with a thumb break can be around $100.

Read up and ask questions. If possible meet with other OC-ers at a dinner to share camaraderie as well as get lots of questions answered. You will find we are an opinionated folk (but usually good natured). :)

Edited to add: If you are going to be using the same holster in FL you might consider Inside the Waistband (IWB). Try them out before buying though. They are too uncomfortable for me (or at least the ones I have tried). Either that or I am too fat. :) Hopefully the FL OC movement will make headway and allow OC sometime soon.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't like Serpa's. It's just a personal preference and I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

I usually wear custom leather except in the very large guns like the BFR's.

My three most carried guns and holsters are:

1911 (City Gun) in a Custom New Kent Leather holster that I designed. It has a retention strap that also acts as a hammer block.

Taurus ultralight Titanium framed 44 Mag (Walking around Gun) in a custom leather holster I designed and made with a cross strap long tail and tension screw.

Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag in a custom leather holster I designed and made with a thumb break and tension screw.

I wear everything but the 1911 at 3:00. The 1911 at 2:00 for better weapon security.

These are all very high riding holsters.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard!

Virginia is very OC friendly by and large.

Wearing either a belt slide, paddle or IWB holster does not induce fear in people IMHO. I have carried at the 3:00 position with a belt slide for years and never have I heard or seen a negative reaction when reaching into a pocket - of course I do not carry any essentials in my dominate side front pocket either.

My mag holders do sometimes block my left, rear wallet pocket, but I just slide them out of the way when removing my wallet and slide them back afterward. Worst response I have ever had was to ask me what I was carrying - Ans. 1911 - frequently followed by good conversation and info handed out if the other party was not already a member of VCDL. :D

There is an active continguent of OCers and VCDL members in the Lynchburg area - look for their postings announcing a meet, eat and greet - give you a chance to meet people of a like mind - great group.

Are you a member of VCDL yet? If not take a look see. At the very least sign up for the free VaAlerts - a weekly email telling you about changes in the laws, problems areas and happenings around the state.
http://www.vcdl.org/

Egregious

Thank you all very much for the welcome, recommendations and encouraging words!

After further research, I'll most likely be saving my pennies for one of the custom-fit leather holsters from my firearm's manufacturer, or a similar leather holster.
Grapeshot, I'll definitely take your advice into consideration; i'd really like to become a member of the community.
Guess i'm just going to have to experiment with where i position the holster for a good balance of access/comfort. one of my big issues is that my cell phone always goes in my right front pocket! guess i may have to move it. :lol:

(just in case anyone was wondering, my current carry gun is a Beretta PX4 in 9mm)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Egregious we'll look forward to hopefully seeing you on Tuesday for dinner. For the people that I expect will be there you'll see me carrying one of my sidearms in a tan Bianchi pancake holster, my wife carrying in a black Fobus, a young couple with Glocks in Serpas, a pal with a revolver in custom leather.

Snazuolu

just outta curiousity, which college you goto? reason i ask is i also goto college in town. I myself dont normally OC. i CC just so i dont have to deal with soccer moms going crazy, or little kids thinking its a toy gun.

Hey Everyone,
I'm a new member (first post) and i had a few questions that I wanted to pose to more seasoned and wise members of the community.
I'm a Floridian living in Lynchburg, VA - attending school there.
I have seen a pretty significant amount of people OC in the city, and seen a variety of methods - leather and plastic hip holsters, shoulder holsters (rare), tactical thigh holsters (even more rare).

My question is really based around methods of OC; what holsters are best suited to it? I'd really like to keep the firearm as far away from my pockets as possible so as to never give the impression that i'm "going for" my gun (a problem i immediately associate with hip holsters) but i feel that tactical holsters are incredibly tacky, and shoulder holsters are more suited for CC.

Thoughts?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
just outta curiousity, which college you goto? reason i ask is i also goto college in town. I myself dont normally OC. i CC just so i dont have to deal with soccer moms going crazy, or little kids thinking its a toy gun.

Just a few general observations are in order here - CC requires that one be at least 21 years of age; OC at 18, so sometimes CC would not be an option.

Requests for personal information are best directed through PM unless that person has no problem with the release publicly of that info. I am not being critical - this is just something that we tend to forget sometimes.

We have no expectation of privacy on the internet. I have quite literally had a TV crew w/o prior conversation or agreement at my front door via information gleaned from the internet.

BTW - someone losing their decorum over the sight of a properly holstered handgun is so rare in Va. as to be newsworthy itself. Most all of that is our internalizing the "what ifs" and passes as you develop a comfort level.

How do I respond to children of any age? I answer them honestly and with a very big, genuine smile - gives them a snapshot of truth, freedom and responsibility from one of the good guys. Had some very interesting and positive conversations because a younger one noticed what their parents had not seen. :D

Egregious

Thanks for the additional encouragement Grapeshot, i'm not sure if i'll be able to attend the dinner on the 30th, but i'll definitely make an attempt! I've got a pretty crazy schedule coming up with finals and massive papers!

- Also, i will admit that i attend Liberty. For Snazolu's benefit.

I just gotta save those pennies for a real holster :banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the additional encouragement Grapeshot, i'm not sure if i'll be able to attend the dinner on the 30th, but i'll definitely make an attempt! I've got a pretty crazy schedule coming up with finals and massive papers!

Had great hopes that Liberty would improve their position on defensive tools, but alas it didn't happen ............ yet. Still they have better rules than do most schools regarding guns.

Did you know that they will apparently let you use their range? See the link:
http://www.fundamentalforums.com/li...2-liberty-to-open-gun-range-for-students.html

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Egregious, consider the sleeping dog dual-use model from JHP.

Others have already said -- holster decisions are rather personal. I have the dual-use holsters for every gun I carry. I like the fact that I can wear the same holster IWB if I need to, even though I carry openly well over 95% of the time, and when I do conceal, it's usually in a shoulder holster or my purse. The IWB has come in handy a time or two.

Snazuolu

i just wanted to know which college you went to, i goto LC myself. i feel your pain on the papers and finals, i have 2 research papers due next thursday and the week after that my senior thesis is due. i doubt i'll goto the OC dinner myself.

ocholsteroc

but i feel that tactical holsters are incredibly tacky, and shoulder holsters are more suited for CC.

Thoughts?

First off, Id like to know how many people have you seen OC'ing around? I never met another OC'er at a store, just gun stores/shows and OC dinners. Secondly, now this is just IMO leg holsters are great, not tacky, they have two leg straps and are very secure on your body against gun grabs. I use my leg holster very often, mainly its winter now, and it doesnt scratch up the finish as much as a plastic or leather holster.

Go to a OC dinner, you will learn a lot and have fun!

Last edited:

Egregious

ocholsteroc, when i've seen people carrying, it's usually been at pawn shops and grocery stores. I should have worded my original post better - i'm from FL where OC is sill not considered legal, so seeing anyone carrying openly other than a LEO is a new experience. :p
Also, i didn't mean to offend concerning leg holsters, they're really just not my preference..probably leaning more toward a leather/nylon hip holster.

I'll probably start attending OC dinners after new years.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Just so you know Egregious, the Ace Hardware (Petry's Gun Store) on Lakeside Drive has a pretty good selection of holsters, so if you want to see something in the flesh give them a try. :)

user

Accomplished Advocate
In my opinion, OC provides some invitation to gunsnatchers. You might want to consider one of those that has the snappy strap thing or other minimal retention device. Galco Cop Three Slot for example. Also helpful when you're playing basketball or working under a car, other situations where the gun might want to escape from an open-top holster.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In my opinion, OC provides some invitation to gunsnatchers. You might want to consider one of those that has the snappy strap thing or other minimal retention device. Galco Cop Three Slot for example. Also helpful when you're playing basketball or working under a car, other situations where the gun might want to escape from an open-top holster.

A standard rebuttal to OCing being foolish/dangerous that has stood the test of time rather well:

Show me one verifiable (w/cite) instance where a normal citizen OCing has ever been subjected to a gun snatch anywhere in these United States in modern times - LEO, security and active military excluded. Will it happen one day - probably, but when and if it does the numerical ratio will look something like .00001% or less. It didn't happen yesterday or the day before either - were this a common occurrence, we would be reading about it now.

Bad guys may look/see, but they don't like the shift in the odds of probability.

I think we have more to fear from the "good citizens" than the ne'er-do-wells - they would disarm us with false publicity and onerous laws rather than "reaching in."

Bottom line is use retention holster, maintain situational awareness and carry on. :D

Last edited: