• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New NRA Basic Pistol Course

NickNt

What do you guys think of the new Phase 1 and Phase 2 basic pistol course set up?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Well not really, as many of the requirements for the instructor still involves time and maybe more time than before and adding more expense. "200" rounds fired by each student that breaks down to 2,000 rounds per class of ten students "expense" different targets other cost, movement of targets per student (many ranges do not allow movement of targets until timed live fire on entire range is closed (cease fire) time wise, a class of 10 just for live fire will be over 45 minutes per student in turn would take 2 days to have each student go through just the Live Fire. Class Room is another joke have you read the time per section that you must as an instructor hold that session?

Yet the NRA is requiring this (to make money by the way) and than you too also purchase the materials for your class including "Live Fire" in turn many of you will have to raise your rates quite a bit which already many of you may not have the funding to purchase. ...
Does anyone have a link to where the specifics of the old course vs the new course are spelled out?

NickNt

Well not really, as many of the requirements for the instructor still involves time and maybe more time than before and adding more expense. "200" rounds fired by each student that breaks down to 2,000 rounds per class of ten students "expense" different targets other cost, movement of targets per student (many ranges do not allow movement of targets until timed live fire on entire range is closed (cease fire) time wise, a class of 10 just for live fire will be over 45 minutes per student in turn would take 2 days to have each student go through just the Live Fire. Class Room is another joke have you read the time per section that you must as an instructor hold that session?

Yet the NRA is requiring this (to make money by the way) and than you too also purchase the materials for your class including "Live Fire" in turn many of you will have to raise your rates quite a bit which already many of you may not have the funding to purchase.

What a joke.

How do you our any other instructor know that this individual is actually the individual has taken this class? Could be another sitting next to him/her answering the question for him/her? Not everyone has access to a computer! Don't spread the bull that America is wired as it is NOT!, maybe they cant afford to have the internet, maybe they don't have a computer, maybe they go to their local library but have locked the NRA Websites out (oh bad stuff we cant let people use or computers) (censorship, I thought this was a free country)

I do have many other issues, they still have to have a Certificate to Apply for a Pistol Permit, but now they have to wait.

Again this is just for NRA to make some needed money! Well how about the NRA Instructor?

I am a Life, endowed Member of the NRA, but this is bu!!Sh!t!

We had no real issues before this went into effect, so way try to correct it? If its not broken stupid, don't touch it! The NRA never asked me what I wanted to do and just like our Government they NRA is supposed to represent us and our issues. we have power in numbers we have a voice we have to use it.

Bye for now

i thought it was 100 rounds not 200?

solus

might i suggest dmjs, you examined the body of the course, specifically the quals using paper plate targets, and R/W/B exercises, and please ensure you including the instructor qualification, and count the actual number of rounds the students expend in the course.

please, let the august body of members know your count?

i am sure the mentality was to instill 200 rounds in the basic course materials portion to assure an adequate sufficiency in case students are rotten shots in during live fire exercises.

finally your [strike]red[/strike] last note at the bottom of your post is quite harsh as it projects quite a blanket negativity that you feel there are sufficient numbers of NRA instructors who do not follow the guidelines of their lesson plans.

sorry, this truly disparaging comment is unwarranted especially since there are methods available to you to identify, to the NRA training staff, those instructors who you believe are taking liberties as you suggest.

you comment does every NRA instructor a disfavor, and i personally feel it is unprofessional of you to have posted it.

ipse

by the way, can you explain how the NRA has turned splitting the basic course into a profit center? oh, and did you pay for credentialling to be able to teach THIS new course?

Last edited by a moderator:

solus

1) Please go to the New NRA Lesson Plan deleted by SOLUS

2) I personally have been to classes were an NRA Instructor held a lest than hour class and many TRUE Instructors have knowledge of the same.

I hate to tell you I am an NRA Endowment Member and there is such a thing as free speech here in the United States.

so one, you through your blissful ignorance to boost your ego, have provided the JQPublic unrestricted access through the NRA's instructor portal USING YOUR LOG IN CREDENTIALS to the copyrighted course material.

cuz if you go to the NRA's instructor portal at https://www.nrainstructors.org/instructoradmin/inslogin.aspx there is no opportunity for JQPublic to access NRA course material. quote: You must be an NRA Coach, Instructor, Training Counselor, Regional Counselor or Range Safety Officer to use this site. unquote

Further, i hate to tell you, that if you didn't report the deviate instructor to the NRA's training department for failing to follow their lesson plan(s), you are as guilty as they are.

i also highly recommend you curb your bravado and remove your credentialed link to the NRA's new course material.

finally, you didn't answer my question(s) being a TRUE instructor, how many actually rounds is a student taking during the course?

ipse

Last edited:

sota

Not to wade too deep in to this pool, but based on my reading of that document it's a minimum of 20 rounds to achieve Red Level Certification, which is the minimum to get the course certificate. That's just shooting the 4 targets 5 times each. You'd have to add on top of that however many rounds you have the student(s) take at a minimum before they can take that "test."

Getting to the Instructor level endorsement, it'd be 80 rounds minimum, plus any pre-testing shooting.

I'd also like to point out, the original link doesn't have any credentials embedded in it, and the file is unprotected in that regard for download. It might be poor form for him to point to it (i'm not getting into that argument) but he hasn't compromised his account in any way.