• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member - Really enjoying the threads

Mumpy

Retired Army 22 years
Recently decided to get my Weapons Carry Permit (Still waiting for it to arrive)
Recently decided to OC

Hope to learn a lot from this site.

Now that I have introduced myself, I wanted to throw this out there for you guys and see what the response is. Personally I couldn't believe it.

My son-in-law is a Deputy Sheriff that recently graduated the Mandate portion of his training. He was over at the house last night and I was showing him my new S&W M&P .40 and then I showed him the GLS 578 Holster I purchased to OC with. First thing that threw me for a loop was he did not know the Carry laws of the state. I had to explain to him that in Georgia the Weapons Carry Permit allows you to OC or CC at MY Discretion. Granted he's a NEW Deputy and isn't on the streets, he's still working the Cells, but it still threw me for kind of a loop that he didn't know. Then I asked, where is your weapon? He shows me that it's concealed. Next to his concealed firearm he has his Badge pinned to his belt. So I asked him, "So out of uniform, you're carrying concealed?" His reply was they are told to carry Concealed when out of Uniform.

Does this make sense?

hafnhaf

Man With A Gun. Usually comes after "Oh my GOD!" Usually followed by "RUN!!!" Well, thats what the Democraps say. We usually say "Nice gun." or "Whatcha got there?"

Welcome to OCDO!

solus

welcome and thanks for your honourable service to our country...

second, with tongue in cheek, sorry your son went to the dark side and hopeful you can keep him sane...

depending on the jurisdiction, some LEs are mandated by their policies to carry 24/7 and presumed to be on duty 24/7.

learn all you can out on this site and keep your offspring ed-u-ma-ktd on the right and civil way to serve the county's citizens.

Ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
My son-in-law is a Deputy Sheriff that recently graduated the Mandate portion of his training...

...First thing that threw me for a loop was he did not know the Carry laws of the state...
First, welcome!

As to the above-quoted section of your post, maybe you should do a public records request for the training such to-be officers receive on the subject, then push for a betterment of same, as necessary.

solus

First, welcome!

As to the above-quoted section of your post, maybe you should do a public records request for the training such to-be officers receive on the subject, then push for a betterment of same, as necessary.

good point, tho, while not sure of GA per se, remember some states training documentation is not available public domain as there is no state mandate to make it public records.

ipse

Firearms Iinstuctor

. Then I asked, where is your weapon? He shows me that it's concealed. Next to his concealed firearm he has his Badge pinned to his belt. So I asked him, "So out of uniform, you're carrying concealed?" His reply was they are told to carry Concealed when out of Uniform.

Does this make sense?

Could have been sleeping through that portion or for jailers it might not be deemed important and not part of the training.

Do you know if he has arrest powers some jailers do some do not.

Wis. has different class requirements for correction personnel then sworn LEOs.

Department policy could require them to carry concealed a hold over from the bad old days where seeing a firearm is scary.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO, Mumpy.

Moving your post to the Georgia sub-forum as the dialog is primarily state specific.

Enjoy.

NWGA45

Check out http://www.georgiacarry.org.
A great resource for Georgia law, and a great organization to belong to. I've been a member for years. As far as openly carrying, not usually much of a problem here in Georgia. Two nights ago in Walmart with my family, we saw several other people carrying besides us, no one gave us a second glance.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Man With A Gun. Usually comes after "Oh my GOD!" Usually followed by "RUN!!!" Well, thats what the Democraps say. We usually say "Nice gun." or "Whatcha got there?"

Welcome to OCDO!

Usually followed by idiots point at you complaining but not running away .. showing that they are not really worried or at least not enough wherein they don't want to annoy you.