• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Near encounter, near killing

MontanaResident

Woke up during the wee hours and heard something on the patio. I had smoked some fish and a whole chicken previously, so I figured a bear might get interested. I had a 45 handy but it being 2am or thereabouts I forgot about it. Flicked on the lights, snapped open the front door and heard my intruder run off. Damn!!! Could've had me a bear.

I've clean up the smoker and now have the 44Mag handy. That destructive thief/vandal gets curious here again, he/she is going in to the freezer, in pieces.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Woke up during the wee hours and heard something on the patio. .... I had a 45 handy but it being 2am or thereabouts I forgot about it.

And that, sir, is why you are a dead man walking.

Also, the word your were searching for was "nearby", not "handy".

If you are not going to practice getting awakened in the wee hours of the morning by suspicious noises, then at least do visualization exercises.

And if you live where bears are known to come raiding leftovers from dirty grills and are not cleaning your grill after each use then you have no call to be complaining when a bear comes visiting. Heck, a zealous Fish & Game laws enforcer could even say you were hunting over a baited field.

stay safe.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Woke up during the wee hours and heard something on the patio. I had smoked some fish and a whole chicken previously, so I figured a bear might get interested. I had a 45 handy but it being 2am or thereabouts I forgot about it. Flicked on the lights, snapped open the front door and heard my intruder run off. Damn!!! Could've had me a bear.

I've clean up the smoker and now have the 44Mag handy. That destructive thief/vandal gets curious here again, he/she is going in to the freezer, in pieces.

Living in bear country I keep some thing a lot more portent handy for those large hairy late night visitors then most hand guns.

From the time the snow goes and comes again bears can show up any time chased more then one off during the 3 decades at this house.

Last edited: