• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Resident with another state’s permit

xmanhockey7

I may be moving to NC. I have a valid Michigan CPL. I think once I’m no longer a resident the permit is no longer good as Michigan does not issue non-resident permits. I plan to get a NC permit, but I have to wait 30 days after establishing residency to apply then wait even longer for the permit. If I got a non resident permit from say…New Hampshire would I be legal to carry in NC as a NC resident on that permit. As far as I can tell…yes.

solus

I may be moving to NC. I have a valid Michigan CPL. I think once I’m no longer a resident the permit is no longer good as Michigan does not issue non-resident permits. I plan to get a NC permit, but I have to wait 30 days after establishing residency to apply then wait even longer for the permit. If I got a non resident permit from say…New Hampshire would I be legal to carry in NC as a NC resident on that permit. As far as I can tell…yes.
where do you believe you MAY be settling in the tarheel state if you do move & there is no reason to run through the goat-rope you are describing

first, once you find a permanent addy to hang your hat, visit dmv and change your DL & vehicle reg...you're now a tarheel resident.

second, find an 8+ hours as it has live fire mandates CC course [^ $125+/-] then complete your application [$90 +/-] & set up an appointment on the county sheriff's website.

third > > > > wait...

fourth, either visit the sheriff's office or open your mail and put your permit in your wallet.

now that stated...OPEN CARRY in the tarheel state has nothing prohibiting the practice.

finally, handgunlaw.us is your friend to assure you are up to speed on the places you may NOT open/cc carry...

safe sojourn...

xmanhockey7

where do you believe you MAY be settling in the tarheel state if you do move & there is no reason to run through the goat-rope you are describing

first, once you find a permanent addy to hang your hat, visit dmv and change your DL & vehicle reg...you're now a tarheel resident.

second, find an 8+ hours as it has live fire mandates CC course [^ $125+/-] then complete your application [$90 +/-] & set up an appointment on the county sheriff's website.

third > > > > wait...

fourth, either visit the sheriff's office or open your mail and put your permit in your wallet.

now that stated...OPEN CARRY in the tarheel state has nothing prohibiting the practice.

finally, handgunlaw.us is your friend to assure you are up to speed on the places you may NOT open/cc carry...

safe sojourn...
I’d still like to concealed carry. I’m just trying to find out if as a NC resident I would be legal to carry on another states non resident permit.

jmmemoli

I’d still like to concealed carry. I’m just trying to find out if as a NC resident I would be legal to carry on another states non resident permit.
North Carolina recognizes any other states permit (resident or non-resident). Your plan will work, if you don't want to open carry or wait.

solus

certainly...
course you wouldn't know that you must immediately notify LE and present id & privilege card...
or the other nuances of the NC laws of deadly force...

oh wait, more importantly...[14-402] the NC privilege card is but one of the mandatory documents YOU MUST present if you wish to purchase a handgun in the state of NC - even mandated for private sales between citizens! [14-402]

xmanhockey7

certainly...
course you wouldn't know that you must immediately notify LE and present id & privilege card...

oh wait, more importantly...[14-402] the NC privilege card is but one of the mandatory documents YOU MUST present if you wish to purchase a handgun in the state of NC - even mandated for private sales between citizens! [14-402]
Good to know. I was aware of the duty to inform. My home state is the same way. I’ll definitely get a NC carry permit, but in that transition period from MI to NC resident I want to be able to carry concealed. The fact localities can regulate OC and the fact your car carry law about being “open carried” certainly makes me nervous.

solus

personally been OC'g throughout the tarheel state in various & varied establishments for over 12 years & stopped 'several' times as well as been first on scene at 'several' major motor vehicle accidents and not ever experienced an incident...

my own rear-end accident on I-95, hollered at young SP trooper slowly driving by my damaged vehicle who was intently looking at my OC'd SD firearm -- 'you have been notified I'm armed as well as other numerous 'multiple' firearms are on board.' Trooper kept driving.... bout 20 minutes later an older trooper walked up and w/o introduction asked...'define numerous'? we had a conversations but never asked for nor was shown my privilege card!

bc.cruiser

certainly...

I had to go check because I thought maybe a change had slipped by.
I believe your intent is to define the CHP as one choice of documents rather than a mandatory document. The PPP may also be used.

solus

I had to go check because I thought maybe a change had slipped by.
I believe your intent is to define the CHP as one choice of documents rather than a mandatory document. The PPP may also be used.

as I previously stated, "[14-402] the NC privilege card is but one of the mandatory documents YOU MUST present..."

So BC, i am sorry you got confused w/my my previous post to the OP especially since the OP specifically stated they do/did not unequivocally want a NC privilege carry card, so i aimed my response from that perspective by pointing out the statutory oversight mandating the use the NC privilege to purchase a handgun in NC.

additionally, per forum policy i also cited the applicable statutory reference for the OP's, et al., to check themselves.

ps: Cooper vetoed 398 [repeal ppp in toto] in aug 2021