• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

N.C. firearms laws similar to MICH ?

Ken56

I am comming to NC from MICH and was wondering if a pistol in your vehicle is considered concealed if not locked and unloaded in the trunk or otherwise inaccessable? only CPL holders can carry in their vehicle in MICH. I do have my MICH. CPL so it shouldn't be an issue BUT I would still like to know that.

elixin77

It depends if your in the vehicle or not, mostly.

If your in the vehicle, the best place for your pistol to be is on either the dash or the seat next to you. And it can stay loaded.

If your not in the vehicle, it can be anywhere (even concealed - which is highly recommended).

Rifles are a bit trickier, but generally its best to keep them unloaded, and in the trunk.

IANAL

Ken56

Mich. law states that if a person does NOT have a CPL then the instant he enters his vehicle, if still in his posession, the weapon is considered concealed. before you enter your vehicle you must properly store your weapon for transport. I do have my MICH> CPL so it should not be an issue, just want to understand NC law on this as I carry everywhere I go (legally).

mekender

NC law uses the term "Concealed on or about your person"... Basically if you can reach it easily, it would be concealed if it were not easily visible.

elixin77

You can transport firearms without a concealed permit, but just know that if you get pulled over, there might be some cops out there that want to 'get you.'

Our gun laws are written extremely vaguely, so it can be up to whether the cop has had a good day or bad for him to decide your fate.

Just know that you can transport your pistol, loaded, and on your person (NC honors MI CHP's). So your good to go. Just make sure, that if you do get pulled over, the first words out of your mouth are:

"Officer, I have a concealed firearm, and I also have a concealed handgun permit. here it is (as you give him the permit and your DL)". If you don't have those on hand when he gets to your window (some cops are bloody fast), then keep both hands on the wheel or the window (preferably the window), tell the officer that you have a concealed gun and permit, where it is, and then ask for directions as to what he wants you to do.

Ken56

never been stoped or had to inform as yet, but my statement will be something like this "officer I have a valid CPL and my weapon is in my waist band appendix position". usually the cops run the vehicle plate before the stop so they know with whom they SHOULD be dealing with and the CPL info is included so they already KNOW you may be armed...... so if you neglect to declare they have you on a violation. that is the very first thing you must do is declare you are armed. so as I understand it you DON'T need to have a CHP in north carolina to have a pistol in your vehicle..... correct?

Dreamer

NC law uses the term "Concealed on or about your person"... Basically if you can reach it easily, it would be concealed if it were not easily visible.

And you need to remember that in a holster, on your hip while sitting in a car (especially if you are the driver and have a seatbelt on) is pretty much considered to be "concealed" under NC case law...

If you don't have some sort of recognized Concealed Carry Permit, then the safest place for your handgun is either on the passenger seat, or locked up in the trunk (or some other inaccessible location, if your vehicle doesn't have a trunk...).

Ken56

thanks for all the good input, now, next question.... is a person WHO HAS his CHP REQUIRED to declare he is armed to a LEO immediatly upon contact like in a trafic stop. we in MICH. are REQUIRED to declare we are armed upon first contact. NOT DOING SO CAN RESULT IN CONFISCATION / REVOCATION OF ONES PISTOL AND PERMIT, not to mention the misdemenor charge. thanks again.

J_Oliver

YESThats the first thing you have to do. However as someone else quoted:
"You may want to declare you have a permit before you
Disclose you have a handgun in case you talk slow and the
officer thinks fast."

Or something along those lines...