• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My OC on the river, and why we carry !

Robin47

Me and the wife were spending time on the sacramento river, and I was doing some gold panning and
metal detecting, there my fun hobbies.
The location was a small section of BLM land, on the sac-river.
No one was around, but a few cars were parked there, and I have been there before.
I was UOC-ing because there is shooting restrictions on all this BLM land now except in one
shooting area in the whole county on BLM land.

Anyway I had an empty in the mag-well, and loaded on the other side.
I was doing some panning when a male tweeker came down ( strange looking,) but I didin't
let on. Just being aweare of where he was. He hadn't seen the strong side yet.
Anyway he seen be doing a pan and ask did I get any gold ? I said no, and I only found
2 fish weights.He said something, but I am hard of hearing and didn't get it. He took a neckercheif got some water on it and wiped down his face, as it was hot that day.
As he was doing that he seen my wife, who was standing over a ways in the shade quietly and he hadn't seen her yet, when he seen her he said "OH", then I decided to leave as I didn't get nothing in that pan either,
not a good gold area there.

As I turned around and he seen my strong-side, his attitude became real polite, and he left, we to was
on our way up the short incline, and 2 more tweekers were on there way down as we were already up on the grade. I was detecting on the way up and got a hit, as i was digging up another "Fish weight" with
the line still on it. Thats when the other guy talked to his friends, and they passed us giving a wide birth.
I was thinking about this event on the way home, and if I was alone unarmed, things might have not been to good.
This is why we carry !
The Wife was glad I OC, even UOC. She is used to guns and a good shot also, and used to me carrying.

Robin47 :)

camsoup

Me and the wife were spending time on the sacramento river, and I was doing some gold panning and
metal detecting, there my fun hobbies.
The location was a small section of BLM land, on the sac-river.
No one was around, but a few cars were parked there, and I have been there before.
I was UOC-ing because there is shooting restrictions on all this BLM land now except in one
shooting area in the whole county on BLM land.

Anyway I had an empty in the mag-well, and loaded on the other side.
I was doing some panning when a male tweeker came down ( strange looking,) but I didin't
let on. Just being aweare of where he was. He hadn't seen the strong side yet.
Anyway he seen be doing a pan and ask did I get any gold ? I said no, and I only found
2 fish weights.He said something, but I am hard of hearing and didn't get it. He took a neckercheif got some water on it and wiped down his face, as it was hot that day.
As he was doing that he seen my wife, who was standing over a ways in the shade quietly and he hadn't seen her yet, when he seen her he said "OH", then I decided to leave as I didn't get nothing in that pan either,
not a good gold area there.

As I turned around and he seen my strong-side, his attitude became real polite, and he left, we to was
on our way up the short incline, and 2 more tweekers were on there way down as we were already up on the grade. I was detecting on the way up and got a hit, as i was digging up another "Fish weight" with
the line still on it. Thats when the other guy talked to his friends, and they passed us giving a wide birth.
I was thinking about this event on the way home, and if I was alone unarmed, things might have not been to good.
This is why we carry !
The Wife was glad I OC, even UOC. She is used to guns and a good shot also, and used to me carrying.

Glad it all worked out. I always LOC on BLM, only the discharge of a weapon for the purposes of target shooting is prohibited. Hunting is allowed, I always have my hunting license on me, so I guess I could just say I am coyote hunting.

But "target shooting" being prohibited wouldn't trigger 12031, at least the way I see it. It doesn't say the discharge of a firearm is prohibited, only target shooting is.

tweakers on the river??.... we don't have those around here, *note my sarcasm*

Was this in the greater Redding or Red Bluff area?

wewd

I always LOC on BLM, only the discharge of a weapon for the purposes of target shooting is prohibited. Hunting is allowed, I always have my hunting license on me, so I guess I could just say I am coyote hunting. But "target shooting" being prohibited wouldn't trigger 12031, at least the way I see it. It doesn't say the discharge of a firearm is prohibited, only target shooting is.

There is a lot of evidence in the form of lower-level case law and an Attorney General's memo from 1968 that suggest only a county-issued ban on shooting will trigger 12031. Federal regs (BLM, NPS, USFS, etc) should not trigger 12031. Unfortunately it will probably take an arrest and conviction for there to be a solid case on the issue. I would gladly LOC in Yosemite if someone was willing to bankroll the case. Until then, one should UOC or get a hunting permit. A valid hunting permit solves a lot of problems when it comes to LOC in unincorporated areas. It also allows one to conceal carry in those areas (read PC 12027(g)). Just be sure you are carrying lead-free ammo if you're in the Condor Zone.

mjones

There is a lot of evidence in the form of lower-level case law and an Attorney General's memo from 1968 that suggest only a county-issued ban on shooting will trigger 12031. Federal regs (BLM, NPS, USFS, etc) should not trigger 12031. Unfortunately it will probably take an arrest and conviction for there to be a solid case on the issue. I would gladly LOC in Yosemite if someone was willing to bankroll the case. Until then, one should UOC or get a hunting permit. A valid hunting permit solves a lot of problems when it comes to LOC in unincorporated areas. It also allows one to conceal carry in those areas (read PC 12027(g)). Just be sure you are carrying lead-free ammo if you're in the Condor Zone.

Everyone keep in mind that 12027(g) requires unloaded while concealed when travelling to/from hunting unless you have a 12050 concealed license

wewd

Everyone keep in mind that 12027(g) requires unloaded while concealed when travelling to/from hunting unless you have a 12050 concealed license

True, but if you're in an area where you may legally hunt, then you can lock and load. You're not limited to carrying loaded in your tree stand or duck blind.

mjones

True, but if you're in an area where you may legally hunt, then you can lock and load. You're not limited to carrying loaded in your tree stand or duck blind.

Absolutely! I just wanted to head off the inevitible 'Can I CCW without a hunting license' questions that usually come up when that PC is mentioned :)

Robin47

Glad it all worked out. I always LOC on BLM, only the discharge of a weapon for the purposes of target shooting is prohibited. Hunting is allowed, I always have my hunting license on me, so I guess I could just say I am coyote hunting.

But "target shooting" being prohibited wouldn't trigger 12031, at least the way I see it. It doesn't say the discharge of a firearm is prohibited, only target shooting is.

tweakers on the river??.... we don't have those around here, *note my sarcasm*

Was this in the greater Redding or Red Bluff area?

Yeah campsoup, I guess you could say it in other words to "Unscrupulous Shady Characters",
As I always say " Its better to be ready, then not "!

r1man

I wasnt Aware of not being able to Legaly target shoot on BLM. Is this only in certain areas? I went to BLM in Mariposa county, you can see a few Lakes from up there. I checked with BLM Office and they said target shooting was fine and we could even camp there for up to 14 day as long as we had a fire permit from them. I also called the sheriffs office and they said its was fine as long as we where shooting in an area with a backstop. I also asked about shooting my AR 15 out there and he said it was ok but make sure I have paper work saying its registered in case the gamewarden want to check it. I said no problem. Btw Im glad your story had a good ending:D

wewd

I also asked about shooting my AR 15 out there and he said it was ok but make sure I have paper work saying its registered in case the gamewarden want to check it.

The problem with game wardens lately is that they assume any gun that looks like an AR-15 is an assault weapon and must be registered. There have been a number of people that have been cited and had their weapons taken into custody by F&G cops who don't know what OLLs or Bullet Buttons are. If you do have a registered assault weapon, then you'll probably fare better than someone with a BB-equipped rifle when confronted with an ignorant game warden.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=353805