• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOCA Meeting Interest

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Hey everybody, I'm looking to gauge some interest in having meetings to get the direction of MOCA going the way that MOCA members want. So, post what everyone thinks below. Areas would most likely be public libraries.

jonjon_jon

Suggestion

Let me suggest that if you're going to have meetings there should be a board set up like as in a union meeting where idea's could be considerd fairly by a few and not have mob rule if 30/40 people show up and want do something in the name of Maine Open Carry. It would protect Shane and others interest the movement from having things getting out of control. Any issues or suggestions could be voted on by the members of the board and posted here for all to see so their can be no argument that someones idea or suggesting aren't being fairly vented by the members. If the members don't like the outcome it would be up to them to relect some new board members not cause hate and discontent every meeting.

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Let me suggest that if you're going to have meetings there should be a board set up like as in a union meeting where idea's could be considerd fairly by a few and not have mob rule if 30/40 people show up and want do something in the name of Maine Open Carry. It would protect Shane and others interest the movement from having things getting out of control. Any issues or suggestions could be voted on by the members of the board and posted here for all to see so their can be no argument that someones idea or suggesting aren't being fairly vented by the members. If the members don't like the outcome it would be up to them to relect some new board members not cause hate and discontent every meeting.

This meeting could act as a process to nominate members to the board.

Saoirse

I am interested. Depending on the number of attendants expected, I could even entertain hosting the meeting at my home. For larger groups I may be able to arrange for meeting space at one of a number of community rooms available in South Portland, free of cost. Presuming that South Portland is a reasonable distance for everyone involved, or course.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I am interested. Depending on the number of attendants expected, I could even entertain hosting the meeting at my home. For larger groups I may be able to arrange for meeting space at one of a number of community rooms available in South Portland, free of cost. Presuming that South Portland is a reasonable distance for everyone involved, or course.

I can't see the number being above 10... and 10 seems quite high honestly. South Portland seems like a good location. What days are free for everyone, do Sundays work?

Saoirse

Sundays are fine by me. If we're looking at ten people or less, I'd be happy to host if that works for everyone involved. I can easily scrounge up seating for eight or nine and we have a large dining table or, weather permitting, a patio with bench seating.

ep0k

Weekdays work better for me.

Also, I'm currently rewriting the constitution for the USM Veteran Student Organization. I could easily adapt this to a MOCA constitution. If we want to file for 501(c) status at some point a constitution / articles of incorporation will be very important.

My 2¢: We should arrange a meeting of all interested parties and the first order of business should be to ratify a constitution (which will include elected positions). We can then proceed immediately to elections for those positions at the same meeting.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just my take on things: Don't get the cart before the horse.

See it very premature to consider a constitution, by-laws, board of directors etc. Think that Shane is trying to gauge the interest and level of commitment from others. That and gather any fresh ideas that might be offered. Want to accomplish something? Show your willingness to get involved and stay involved.

At this point, Shane has carried MOCA on his back with help from one or two select individuals. No organization can grow and prosper without dedicated members. Who will step forward?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Please post here if you will be attending. I would like to get a number of people coming. Also, we may or may not do dinner at a local restaurant after depending on how people feel. PLEASE bring discussion topics PREPARED to the meeting. If you want to talk about it we can. This meeting is going to be EXTREMELY informal and everyone is equal (obviously). Also, feel free to bring a friend or two, if they are interested in MOCA. If anyone thinks I have missed anything, please post about it. Also, we are not going to publicly disclose the location of the meeting on the forums. Thanks in advance!

crdonov

Please post here if you will be attending. I would like to get a number of people coming. Also, we may or may not do dinner at a local restaurant after depending on how people feel. PLEASE bring discussion topics PREPARED to the meeting. If you want to talk about it we can. This meeting is going to be EXTREMELY informal and everyone is equal (obviously). Also, feel free to bring a friend or two, if they are interested in MOCA. If anyone thinks I have missed anything, please post about it. Also, we are not going to publicly disclose the location of the meeting on the forums. Thanks in advance!

im attending!!! wont miss it !!!
where is the meeting???

xd-over