• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Minnesota Democrats debut universal background check push"

Midwest

Minnesota Democrats debut universal background check push

Another state set to fall under the spell of the "Universal Background Check" unless the good citizens of Minnesota are able to put a stop to it. The bill would outlaw transfers between those who are not an FFL.

Exceptions would include family members, loans to perspective buyers of less than a day, a marksman class. Other exceptions would include guards in armored car service and police.

Penalties would be $3,000 and a year in jail. And if it happens again, it would be a felony and two years in jail. This legislation is SF 2493 sponsored by Sen. Ron Latz, D-St. Louis Park. And "mirrored" as HF 2897 sponsored by Rep. Dan Schoen, D-Cottage Grove.

Good luck to our friends in Minnesota and hope they can defeat this mess and vote the culprits out of office in November.

http://www.guns.com/2016/03/11/minnesota-democrats-debut-universal-background-check-push/

"At a press conference with gun control advocates in tow, Minnesota Dems on Thursday introduced a proposal to mandate background checks on most gun transfers.

With companion bills introduced by Senate Judiciary Committee chair Sen. Ron Latz, D-St. Louis Park, and Rep. Dan Schoen, D-Cottage Grove, the move would require background checks on all gun sales in the state – including online sales, private transfers and sales at gun shows."

IA_farmboy

I see that Gabby Giffords is touring the nation trying to get this law passed everywhere.

I have a question or three for these "universal" background check people. What of taking a firearm from a minor? I mean if a child has stolen a gun and took it to school would a teacher be in violation for disarming that student? Don't think this is just speculation, it has happened. A student was given a spent cartridge by an individual that was ignorant of the laws on the books. A teacher found this in the student's possession and took it. The law saws that even a spent casing is "ammunition" and possession of it without proper licensing is a violation. If this teacher was not found in violation then the law is unenforceable.

What of a person that finds a discarded firearm? Would taking possession be a violation? Even if taking possession was to prevent injury of a child finding it later?

Here's one thing I wondered, family is exempted so if I find the right path of "family" then I can transfer a firearm to just about anyone without a background check, no? While not iron clad it certainly gives reasonable doubt for a transfer between distant cousins.

Getting back to Gabby Giffords, would this be the same background check that the person that shot her passed? Yes? I thought so.

IA_farmboy

Don't ask anti's questions ~ they are clearly brain damaged to begin with. Ya may as well ask my cat.

Is your cat available for interviews? I'm thinking of doing a Youtube video series on gun control.

Seriously though I'm taking college courses towards a post-bachelor certificate and one of my classes this semester is an intro to statistics. We are required to do a statistical analysis project for the course and I noticed that many of the projects proposed so far fall into one of two categories. First is just trivia, people will study things on sports, where to get the cheapest beer, and so on. The second category is social justice warrior fodder, people studying on income based on gender, race vs. grades in school, and so on. I plan to do a project on gun control. I already know the outcome based on what I've read over the last decade or so but it will be fun to run the numbers myself. Gun control does not equate to crime control. At the end of the semester we will have to present what we have found to the class and I cannot wait to see how the professor and students will react.

Perhaps your cat would like to view the presentation and give thoughts afterward, it would likely be just as enlightening as the feedback from the students that are sophomores in women's studies.