• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Media bias about the defensive use of firearms

riverrat10k

Nice article that mentions the Appalachian College murders from a few years ago. One of the heroes gave a statement to 50 reporters per the article, but only a few mentioned in their writings that he and the other student were armed when they accosted the psycho.

"Associated Press media relations manager Jack Stokes denied any anti-gun reporting bias. However, he did admit that when he learned how Gross and Bridges stopped Odighizuwa, he was “shocked,” and thought to himself:

My God, they’re putting into jeopardy even more people by bringing out these guns."

http://pjmedia.com/blog/media-underplays-successful-defensive-gun-use/

Lots of good comments, too.

Last edited:

sidestreet

Awesome Riverrat, great article, thanks...,

you were right, great comments.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

va_tazdad

Biased media? Say it ain't so Joe.

LOL Yeah, right.

The media has not been trustworthy in years. Dangerous Dan Rather (NOT) lowered the standard so low that unfortunately the vast majority of current "journalists" or "reporters" do not report the facts, but what they or their managers want you to know.

There are far too many graduates from the Dangerous Dan Rather (NOT) School of Yellow Journalism!

USNA69

Nice article that mentions the Appalachian College murders from a few years ago. One of the heroes gave a statement to 50 reporters per the article, but only a few mentioned in their writings that he and the other student were armed when they accosted the psycho.

"Associated Press media relations manager Jack Stokes denied any anti-gun reporting bias. However, he did admit that when he learned how Gross and Bridges stopped Odighizuwa, he was “shocked,” and thought to himself:

My God, they’re putting into jeopardy even more people by bringing out these guns."

http://pjmedia.com/blog/media-underplays-successful-defensive-gun-use/

Lots of good comments, too.

Stokes' comment epitomizes the mantra of the Anti-2A bunch:
Sit quietly.
Await your turn to be executed.
Hope that not too many are killed.

Betty_Rose_Brown

Stokes' comment epitomizes the mantra of the Anti-2A bunch:
Sit quietly.
Await your turn to be executed.
Hope that not too many are killed.

Isn't that pretty much what happened at Virginia Tech? I recall reading that - in one instance - several students were lined up and shot (literally).

BTW, thanks for the link to this article. So few people are aware of the true facts about that incident at the Appalachia School of Law.

wylde007

Isn't that pretty much what happened at Virginia Tech? I recall reading that - in one instance - several students were lined up and shot (literally).
Execution style.

But they weren't "lined up" and shot. Cho just went from crouched, helpless, whimpering student to the next. One shot, one kill.

wylde007

Yeah but they could have thrown books at him.
They could have thrown books, chairs, desks... ANYTHING.

But they cowered in fear and never put up a fight. Just like the pacifists on the planes which (supposedly) brought down the WTC.

Complacent. Docile. Obedient.

I've never been any of those things. Heck, I used to throw books when I WASN'T being shot at. But that was a long time ago. Like last week or something.

OC for ME

I'd throw books too.....but they are all electronic now so I can't throw my reader (iPad), too dang expensive.

So, I carry some old timey made from real paper books, from the li-barry, just in case a book needs throwing.

Betty_Rose_Brown

Execution style.

But they weren't "lined up" and shot. Cho just went from crouched, helpless, whimpering student to the next. One shot, one kill.

The pendulum certainly did swing hard to the "passive helpless victim" side in a couple generations. Maybe now, it'll swing back to the other side.

I hope.

BTW, just found this in an old article:

Witnesses described scenes of mass chaos and unimaginable horror as some students were lined up against a wall and shot. Others jumped out of windows to escape, or crouched on floors to take cover.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/us/16cnd-shooting.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
..."Associated Press media relations manager Jack Stokes denied any anti-gun reporting bias. However, he did admit that when he learned how Gross and Bridges stopped Odighizuwa, he was “shocked,” and thought to himself:

My God, they’re putting into jeopardy even more people by bringing out these guns."...

Well, once those guns come out, you never can tell where the bullets will land - since it has nothing to do with where the muzzle's pointed. A completely random process that could kill or maim anyone around. :eek::eek::eek:

And, on a related note, I've been hearing a news story on the radio most of the day today, while out on the porch trying to use up a bottle of Hoppe's #9. The gist of the story is that a guy was fired from a job at Pitney-Bowes in the DC area, and he's under a psychological detention order and won't be charged with any crimes until they determine whether or not he's crazy. He's reported to have said that he's "a joker", but that he could come back and shoot up the place. The real shocker, according to the news story is that when police searched his house, they found twenty guns and over five hundred rounds of ammunition! Can you imagine? What an "arsenal" and "stockpile"! Clearly a psycho or criminal, eh?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, once those guns come out, you never can tell where the bullets will land - since it has nothing to do with where the muzzle's pointed. A completely random process that could kill or maim anyone around. :eek::eek::eek:

And, on a related note, I've been hearing a news story on the radio most of the day today, while out on the porch trying to use up a bottle of Hoppe's #9. The gist of the story is that a guy was fired from a job at Pitney-Bowes in the DC area, and he's under a psychological detention order and won't be charged with any crimes until they determine whether or not he's crazy. He's reported to have said that he's "a joker", but that he could come back and shoot up the place. The real shocker, according to the news story is that when police searched his house, they found twenty guns and over five hundred rounds of ammunition! Can you imagine? What an "arsenal" and "stockpile"! Clearly a psycho or criminal, eh?

The arsenal stories come out every time there's a newsworthy shooting Dan.
500 rounds....a Walmart box of 22lr's is over 500.

mk4

The arsenal stories come out every time there's a newsworthy shooting Dan.
500 rounds....a Walmart box of 22lr's is over 500.

.22lr... bah! :banana:
they'd have really liked me for raiding two dick's stores in richmond of the last 3 cans of xm855 in, reportedly, a 100 mile radius. ;)

Last edited:

freak4cycles

They never would report it

The ***** media would never report on positive gun interactions. That would prop up the amendment and not tear it down. This fact alone should wake everyone up to why the hide these incidents! So what to do? Well i guess we need to start our own media outlet, where the truth is told. Or rely on YouTube videos that show positive encounters like this one below.

63 Year Old Samuel Williams Shots Young Black Thugs Robbers in Internet Cafe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Eowwq1DV3J0

Need to see more like this one!