• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Arrested In Texas For... Open Carry

phil1979

So much for Texas being an "open carry state". The tyrants there apparently have not got the memo.

KBCraig

"The sheriff's office reminds citizens that while Texas is an 'open carry' state, you may not display any deadly weapon in a public place in such a way that causes alarm."

The sheriff and DA should have listened to EPPD.

"The EPPD is aware of an individual carrying a rifle walking around the far east side of El Paso in the Joe Battle area. There is nothing illegal about this. Unless he presents a threat, by his actions beyond that, there is no need to report him."

Under PC 42.01 (8), it's an offense if a person "displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm".

Note the important part: "in a manner calculated to cause alarm".

I'll go search for that 2019 case, but if it says other than what the black letter law says, it's incorrect.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
"The sheriff's office reminds citizens that while Texas is an 'open carry' state, you may not display any deadly weapon in a public place in such a way that causes alarm."

The sheriff and DA should have listened to EPPD.

"The EPPD is aware of an individual carrying a rifle walking around the far east side of El Paso in the Joe Battle area. There is nothing illegal about this. Unless he presents a threat, by his actions beyond that, there is no need to report him."

Under PC 42.01 (8), it's an offense if a person "displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm".

Note the important part: "in a manner calculated to cause alarm".

I'll go search for that 2019 case, but if it says other than what the black letter law says, it's incorrect.State v. Ross, 573 SW 3d 817 - Tex: Court of Criminal Appeals 2019

KBCraig

It's worth mentioning that the Diaz case involved a rifle (not concealable, so "open carry" was not an issue), but the Ross case involved a firearm whose type is never mentioned in the many briefs and rulings.