• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine CCW permit wait times when going through local PD

Duncan

7 days from final submission to them calling. this was after I got Coast Guard Legal involved because the KPD application states "ACTIVE MILITARY must submit a letter from the Base Commander stating they approve of a concealed weapons permit being issued." the individual at KPD could not articulate a reason for the requirement other than the cover sheet of the application indicates that it is required. It was explained to her that I neither work on a base(I work in Boston), nor live on a base, but she was insistent upon some sort of letter from my command indicating no objection to receiving the permit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
7 days from final submission to them calling. this was after I got Coast Guard Legal involved because the KPD application states "ACTIVE MILITARY must submit a letter from the Base Commander stating they approve of a concealed weapons permit being issued." the individual at KPD could not articulate a reason for the requirement other than the cover sheet of the application indicates that it is required. It was explained to her that I neither work on a base(I work in Boston), nor live on a base, but she was insistent upon some sort of letter from my command indicating no objection to receiving the permit.

Welcome aboard OCDO Duncan.

I would submit that, the cover letter notwithstanding, such is clearly not authorized by Maine statute. It is therefore decidedly extra-legal.
http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/25/title25sec2003.html

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

FIVETWOSEVEN

I just moved to North Berwick from NH. Does anyone know how NBPD is with their permit issuing? Can I use a temp license to get my permit or do I need to use a permanent when it comes in?

SPOProds

I just moved to North Berwick from NH. Does anyone know how NBPD is with their permit issuing? Can I use a temp license to get my permit or do I need to use a permanent when it comes in?

Not sure it helps you. But i used my CT license to apply in Orono

Sent from the back of a black van

Rk2966

North berwick

Hi, live in north berwick myself, been here almost 8 yrs, just started looking into cwp. FIVETWOSEVEN was wondering how it went with you applying for your permit? I was not sure if I have to go to local police or just download application from maine gov web sight and mail all requirements directly to the state? Thanks for any help -- Rob

SPOProds

Hi, live in north berwick myself, been here almost 8 yrs, just started looking into cwp. FIVETWOSEVEN was wondering how it went with you applying for your permit? I was not sure if I have to go to local police or just download application from maine gov web sight and mail all requirements directly to the state? Thanks for any help -- Rob

Call your PD they'll tell you to apply to them or the state.

Individually Responsible.
Sent from the back of a black van