• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local Sam's Club 'leave OC firearm in the car' upon entrance?

solus

As mentioned under NC forum, one friend was told that mantra upon entrance and he left, nothing said when i showed up early afternoon - same greeter at the store.

today, same greeter, told to leave it in the vehicle - we're awaiting signage...i walked past him w/o acknowledgement.

Sam's Club terms and conditions, dtd 21 April 2021, [ https://www.samsclub.com/content/terms-and-conditions ] searched the lengthy document for the term(s) firearm - or guns - nada!

this afternoon - telcon & EMAIL to...quote:
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at http://help.samsclub.com/app/ask, by mail at 2101 SE Simple Savings Drive, Bentonville, AR 72716-0745, or by phone at 888-746-7726.

Please note that e-mail communications will not necessarily be secure; accordingly, you should not include credit card information or other sensitive information in your e-mail correspondence with us. California residents may reach the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by mail at 1625 North Market Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95834, or by telephone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210. Unquote.

PLEASE notify sam's hq by telcon/email if you're refused carry & told to take your OC'd SD firearm to your vehicle in the parking lot!

SAK

Can't let these companies cave to the insane notion that being disarmed makes people safer... But it looks like right now it is only open carry from which they are asking customers to abstain.

solus

Can't let these companies cave to the insane notion that being disarmed makes people safer... But it looks like right now it is only open carry from which they are asking customers to abstain.
Alas SAK, your wally world cite is outdated as its from sept 2019 - yet the sam's club terms & condition policy cited in the initial post, as stated, is from April 2021 and as mentioned doesn't have any prohibition on firearms clauses!

solus

met w/two female managers at local sam's this afternoon...

asked for DM's email/phone number, was told no...call corp! they were informed corp notified.

they informed me prohibition to inform members to take their firearms back to the vehicles has been long standing, i responded the april 2019 corp statement "requested customers..." as well reiterated that is where firearms are stolen by someone watching someone return to their vehicles and then enter the establishment w/o their firearm.

also gave them the 18 page, dtd april 2021, member's terms and conditions along with the commentary the term firearm doesn't appear in the document once.

then the two in almost in unison, stated they are trying to provide a 'safe' environment for customers...i responded studies has shown OC'g in establishment deters bad guys from doing bad things.

I didn't point out they needed signage but the two managers were 'educated' but doubt they will pass the end of course assessment.

PS: just got beat beat about the head stating i needed to finish todays saga...

first, the checker didn't say a word about my OC'd firearm
second, neither manager said a word about the OC'd pistol nor did either one ask me to take my pistol out to my vehicle.
finally, turned and walked into the and shopped for an hour...all the while awaiting johnny law to show up to challenge my carry...

Last edited:

mlawson

We have a Walmart here in AZ a few months ago with updated signage on the front door asking people to no longer OC. I haven't been back since, so I don't know if its still there.

Tiribulus

Can't let these companies cave to the insane notion that being disarmed makes people safer...
Anything even accidentally resembling rational linear analytical thought departed public discourse a long time ago.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
We have a Walmart here in AZ a few months ago with updated signage on the front door asking people to no longer OC. I haven't been back since, so I don't know if its still there.
Ever since that Walmart shooting (8-3-19) back in TX (I was living there then) Walmart has "requested" people not OC anymore, but nothing was said about CCing (THAT seemd to be fine, as per usual). Shortly after Walmart's announcement, supermarkets followed suit: NO OCing in their stores.
Same here in CO -- Walmarts & supermarkets -- so the only thing I OC in those stores is an empty holster, but my OC gun IS on me (in an outside vest pocket). Same for malls (GFZs) -- I still carry, won't go about UNarmed.
Saw a guy OCing at a Walmart in Falcon CO a while back -- surprised, I asked him if anyone said anything to him and he said no.
I'm guessing I COULD OC here at least in supermarkets without any fuss, but while I agree that "banning" OC does nothing, it's been happening anyway -- like most "common sense" gun laws do nothing but still happen anyway. I don't want to argue with someone about it (store employee or management), so I just temporarily CC in these stores instead.
Sellign out my "OC Principles?"
No, I think it's a case of picking my battles -- this is not one of them.
In all the OTHER stores I go to (including banks) I OC, as per usual...even at the several Jeep dealerships I had to go into recently for my new Daily Driver -- people looked, 2 asked me questions about carrying, but no one told me I couldn't OC there.
Still, even if there weren't any corporate (and maybe even public) "sentiment" against OCing, it's still a practice hardly anyone does, and probably never will. MOST carriers refuse to OC, don't care to "understand" OCing (remain ignorant, even hostile about it), and will blissfully remain CCers for life.
So be they CCers, malls and many businesses/corporations, apparently "Ignorance IS bliss."
Or maybe they DO know bans do nothing, but prefer to be in-denial.
Who knows... ;-)
-- C

Last edited:

mlawson

Ever since that Walmart shooting (8-3-19) back in TX (I was living there then) Walmart has "requested" people not OC anymore, but nothing was said about CCing (THAT seemd to be fine, as per usual). Shortly after Walmart's announcement, supermarkets followed suit.
Same here in CO -- Walmarts & supermarkets -- so the only thing I OC in those stores is an empty holster, but my OC gun IS on me (in an outside vest pocket). Same for malls (GFZs) -- I still carry, won't go about UNarmed.
Saw a guy OCing at a Walmart in Falcon CO a while back -- surprised, I asked him if anyone said anything to him and he said no.
I'm guessing I COULD OC here at least in supermarkets without any fuss, but while I agree that "banning" OC does nothing, it's been happening anyway -- like most "common sense" gun laws do nothing but still happen anyway. I don't want to argue with someone about it (store employee or management), so I just temporarily CC in these stores instead.
Sellign out my "OC Principles?"
No, I think it's a case of picking my battles -- this is not one of them.
In all the OTHER stores I go to (including banks) I OC, as per usual...even at the several Jeep dealerships I had to go into recently for my new Daily Driver -- people looked, 2 asked me questions about carrying, but no one told me I couldn't OC there.
Still, even if there weren't any corporate (and maybe even public) "sentiment" against OCing, it's still a practice hardly anyone does, and probably never will. MOST carriers refuse to OC, don't care to "understand" OCing (remain ignorant, even hostile about it), and will blissfully remain CCers for life.
So be they CCers, malls and many businesses/corporations, apparently "Ignorance IS bliss."
Or maybe they DO know bans do nothing, but prefer to be in-denial.
Who knows... ;-)
-- C
I seem to recall seeing someone else OC in the same Walmart about the same time I seen that sign posted. Normally, I carry OWB. When I get into Walmart, I drape my shirt over it. It prints VERY well to the point of, why bother covering it LOL. But, they never said anything to me. Haven't been back there in 2 months so, I don't know if that sign is still there.

solus

Per previous cite, dtd sept 2019, provided by SAK, request OC'ers not OC, quote:

As it relates to concealed carry by customers with permits, there is no change to our policy or approach.

unquote

but cloudcraft, et al., REQUEST, is just that, per Merriam-Webster: "the act or an instance of asking for something"
they "requested" this individual has not abrogated my rights in any shape or form so have chosen to ignore their illogical "request" and my Sam's has failed to put up signage so legally they my ask, but if i refuse, i risk trespass only!

mlawson

Isn't trespass ONLY if you come back after you were told to leave? Legally, without required signage like AZ, you have to be officially told to leave and not come, then its trespass if you do, correct?

solus

State of NC...presumes no signage...you must be told to leave by a person 'in charge' of the property, e.g., MoD not store clerk, or LE, then the MoD must have LE respond and sign complaint! NC 14-159.13

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Yeppers, my walmart, in Butte, has a "no firearms" sign. I have walked past it many times with my 1911 on my hip. No comments from anyone. Corporate may require it, but Montana ignores it

solus

well again the Sam's door checker stated they have a sign posted stating< quote:

NO OPEN CARRIED FIREARMS ALLOWED, PLEASE RETURN THEM TO YOUR VEHICLE

unquote

moving to plan C and drafting letters w/back up document regarding where thefts occur and so forth...

more to come...

FYI, for those that care...

NC 14 - 415.11 Permit to Carry Concealed Handgun; Scope of Permit.
(c) Except as provided in G.S. 14-415.27, a permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed
handgun in any of the following:

(8) On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the
posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the
premises.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Sheriff McGuffey says, as is normal for her, she left her gun in a secured compartment in her locked car.
Well not secure enough.

My local police chief told me today that they deal with guns stolen from broken into cars all the time. As he says, don't leave anything of value in your car.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran

Well not secure enough.

My local police chief told me today that they deal with guns stolen from broken into cars all the time. As he says, don't leave anything of value in your car.
I DO leave "items" in my vehicle, plus some ammo, but they are secured pretty well...no Smash & Grab thief is going to get them quickly. And if the POS/street-trash takes TOO long trying, I just may get lucky and come back and quietly be able to do an Abraham Lincoln on the loser.
Well, at least one can hope...
I have 2 Ft. Knox Pistol Boxes (PBs), which are made of thicker steel than most of that sheet-metal crap being sold as "car safes" for handguns) -- they're both tethered to the vehicle with hardened 9mm chain, and an SKS, which also is tethered with a 3/8" steel cable and rather "unusual" (and expensive) Abus lock. As a "secondary" tether for the SKS, a pair of S&W handcuffs -- (have several pairs so might as well USE them).
"Defense in depth," if you will (kind of).
Mostly, my vehicle is @ home locked in the garage...so the security is mainly for when I'm out & about and parked somewhere at a store, restaurant, etc., -- even though I try to keep it in sight, it's not always possible.
That about all I can do, but I DO want the SKS (one of 3 I have) kept in the car at all times. It's my serious "repel-boarders" gun when away from home. Might take a wrong turn somewhere and end up in the middle of a "protest" (you never know) -- the no-nonsense SKS means business and is great for both soft AND hard targets. ;-)
As for my 2 PBs, the small one holds some ammo (for the SKS and EDC "du jour" handgun), bag of quarters for a car wash, knife-sharpener (for my EDC knife).. The larger PB is mostly empty (just 2 small SKS ammo pouches), so it has plenty of room for my EDC handgun, spare mags, OWB holster, camera, phone, etc., when I go onto "prohibited property" (VA Clinic/USPS/SS Office parking lots) so I can safely store it (however, I DO carry my EDC knife as I won't be COMPLETELY unarmed).
So IMO, it beats trying to "hide" (as lots of people DO apparently) a handgun or other valuables under the seat or in a flimsy console, yes?
Hope so.
-- C

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I DO leave "items" in my vehicle, plus some ammo, but they are secured pretty well...no Smash & Grab thief is going to get them quickly. And if the POS/street-trash takes TOO long trying, I just may get lucky and come back and quietly be able to do an Abraham Lincoln on the loser.
Well, at least one can hope...
I have 2 Ft. Knox Pistol Boxes (PBs), which are made of thicker steel than most of that sheet-metal crap being sold as "car safes" for handguns) -- they're both tethered to the vehicle with hardened 9mm chain, and an SKS, which also is tethered with a 3/8" steel cable and rather "unusual" (and expensive) Abus lock. As a "secondary" tether for the SKS, a pair of S&W handcuffs -- (have several pairs so might as well USE them).
"Defense in depth," if you will (kind of).
Mostly, my vehicle is @ home locked in the garage...so the security is mainly for when I'm out & about and parked somewhere at a store, restaurant, etc., -- even though I try to keep it in sight, it's not always possible.
That about all I can do, but I DO want the SKS (one of 3 I have) kept in the car at all times. It's my serious "repel-boarders" gun when away from home. Might take a wrong turn somewhere and end up in the middle of a "protest" (you never know) -- the no-nonsense SKS means business and is great for both soft AND hard targets. ;-)
As for my 2 PBs, the small one holds some ammo (for the SKS and EDC "du jour" handgun), bag of quarters for a car wash, knife-sharpener (for my EDC knife).. The larger PB is mostly empty (just 2 small SKS ammo pouches), so it has plenty of room for my EDC handgun, spare mags, OWB holster, camera, phone, etc., when I go onto "prohibited property" (VA Clinic/USPS/SS Office parking lots) so I can safely store it (however, I DO carry my EDC knife as I won't be COMPLETELY unarmed).
So IMO, it beats trying to "hide" (as lots of people DO apparently) a handgun or other valuables under the seat or in a flimsy console, yes?
Hope so.
-- C
You mention the VA. Congress has given the VA unfettered authority over their property. Meaning, contrary to what 18 USC 930 says or any other federal law, even the constitution, the VA can prohibit whatever they wish to ban from their property. Including not even allowing you to store your firearm in your motor vehicle on their property.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
You mention the VA. Congress has given the VA unfettered authority over their property. Meaning, contrary to what 18 USC 930 says or any other federal law, even the constitution, the VA can prohibit whatever they wish to ban from their property. Including not even allowing you to store your firearm in your motor vehicle on their property.
Yes, they certainly can "prohibit/not allow" anything they want, but I don't care as I'll "carry" (leave in my vehicle) on their property anyway. And talking to some other vets also there for app'ts, they do the very same. "We" aren't going to be disarmed ALL DAY just because ONE of our stops/errands a given day is at a VA clinic -- we have OTHER paces to go, too.
As I've mentioned earlier, I can only imagine how many guns "the authorities" would find if they ever searched each & every vehicle parked in a VA parking lot (whether a VA facility is located on a military base or not).
Same for USPS and SS parking lots...
Surprisingly though -- and contrary to popular but ignorant liberal (and "the authorities") belief -- THOSE guns left in vehciles haven't caused any trouble: They're just napping. ;-)
-- C

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, they certainly can "prohibit/not allow" anything they want, but I don't care as I'll "carry" (leave in my vehicle) on their property anyway. And talking to some other vets also there for app'ts, they do the very same. "We" aren't going to be disarmed ALL DAY just because ONE of our stops/errands a given day is at a VA clinic -- we have OTHER paces to go, too.
As I've mentioned earlier, I can only imagine how many guns "the authorities" would find if they ever searched each & every vehicle parked in a VA parking lot (whether a VA facility is located on a military base or not).
Same for USPS and SS parking lots...
Surprisingly though -- and contrary to popular but ignorant liberal (and "the authorities") belief -- THOSE guns left in vehciles haven't caused any trouble: They're just napping. ;-)
-- C
I don't disagree. I suggest you read the attached pdf.

Attachments

• 18 USC 930 Revison 1.pdf
    420.5 KB · Views: 8