• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

Glock214

OC'd a few days ago at Speedway in Kalamazoo (Drake and KL) no looks, no issues. I would OC a lot more, however have been applying with police departments lately and would hate to be denied a career due to OC. So I've been concealing more these days.
Still an advocate for OC though.

Carry on!!
Glock214

Evil Creamsicle

OC'd a few days ago at Speedway in Kalamazoo (Drake and KL) no looks, no issues. I would OC a lot more, however have been applying with police departments lately and would hate to be denied a career due to OC. So I've been concealing more these days.
Still an advocate for OC though.

Carry on!!
Glock214

Yeah it would suck to be denied a career of OC due to OC

Michigander

In the beginning it seemed impossibly far fetched that HGOCing would ever become as normalized at it has, but here we are. Today, being in AZ, I had a conversation with a guy in his mid 20's who was OCing, and informed me that of all places he picked up the habit in Michigan. Openly carried guns are a common thing to see here for sure, but that was pretty cool.

Last edited:

OC4me

I rarely post anymore about my own open carry experiences because they are uneventful, as they should be.

However, today I open carried with the family at AppleBee's in Greenville and was pleased to look out the window and notice an open-carrying patron in the parking lot, who himself had just left the establishment. I didn't notice him while I was in the restaurant and he probably had no idea there was another open-carrier in there besides himself.

Open carry is getting to be rather mainstream in my neck of the woods ;-)

Last edited:

Glock214

I don't post often, but figured I'd post when I do OC.
OC'd at On Target Guns and Ammo, Walmart, Meijer, Speedway, Lowe's, and Starbucks in Kalamazoo last week without issue. Then off to echo point in Allegan for some much needed range time with the family. Taught my dad how to shoot a pistol, not bad for never even holding a pistol before. Enjoyed it, thinking about taking a firearms instructor course to be able to train CPL classes.
Anyway, on with my OC'ing. On the way home stopped at the j and h store near Martin for fuel and snacks, no looks or pointing, no children screaming, uneventful. I don't OC often anymore per my reason stated on my earlier post, but when I do, it's a pretty uneventful day.
Carry on!

Glock214

DeSchaine

A lesson in restraint.

Tonight, some hoodlums tried to break into the house across from my mothers house while she was out. When she got home from grocery shopping, the teen kid that lives in that house approached my mom to tell her what happened. She carries a Sig P238 in one of those specially designed purses and had her hand on it before he finished his first sentence. Thankfully, she took that one extra second to identify and determine the probability of a threat and did NOT fire.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A lesson in restraint.

Tonight, some hoodlums tried to break into the house across from my mothers house while she was out. When she got home from grocery shopping, the teen kid that lives in that house approached my mom to tell her what happened. She carries a Sig P238 in one of those specially designed purses and had her hand on it before he finished his first sentence. Thankfully, she took that one extra second to identify and determine the probability of a threat and did NOT fire.
Do not like purse carry - reasons discussed many times here - but is better than going w/o.

Glad she was prepared. Even happier that she knew when not to shoot.

B

Bikenut

Like Raggs I open carry everywhere (where legal of course) everyday as an ordinary thing. When I get dressed in the morning my sidearm is just another regular thing to put on.

I routinely open carry at the Wal Mart in Clio and various gas stations in my area. Took two friends to Lucky's in Clio a few days ago and while my sidearm got some looks no one much cared.

Took the Miata for a ride today and open carried in the Gun Barn near Otisville where they have a bunch of Lugers around $1000.00 and some really odd tiny pistols from yesteryear. Friendly folks too.

Then off to Millington for a pop at the Speedway station.

No one cared about my sidearm at either place. And I like it that way.

I remember when those few courageous folks started the open carry thing in Michigan and it is their early efforts that led to the uneventful open carry we enjoy today. Thanks guys!

PDinDetroit

OC'ed at CVS in Farmington Hills, Microcenter in Madison Heights, Mui's Chinese in Clawson, Party Store in Clawson, and 7-11 in Royal Oak. No issue per usual.

xd shooter

Michigan State Senator John Proos held a Vietnam era Veteran Pinning ceremony at our Local VFW. MANY dignitaries, Sheriff's deputies, Police officers, Including the Sheriff and the Chief of Police attended.

Not one word was said, didn't even notice any looks, about my Holstered weapon.

It was a great day to honor Veterans who probably did not see a "Welcome Home" Party.

B

Bikenut

Michigan State Senator John Proos held a Vietnam era Veteran Pinning ceremony at our Local VFW. MANY dignitaries, Sheriff's deputies, Police officers, Including the Sheriff and the Chief of Police attended.

Not one word was said, didn't even notice any looks, about my Holstered weapon.

It was a great day to honor Veterans who probably did not see a "Welcome Home" Party.
Excellent!

Thank you for your service!

DeSchaine

So, got up early, got around and was all heads up for a good day at the Kalamazoo Gun and Knife Show at the Kalamazoo County Expo Center. The show opens at 9 a.m.

HA! Yeah right. I get there, and on the second set of doors is plastered this BS:
XQ7xn72.jpg

So here I am, back at home, posting this idiocy to OCDO and preparing an email to this "Sport Show Promotions" group. And it's not even 10 a.m.

B

Bikenut

On a more positive note:

OC'd as usual during my daily errands. First to Clio and stopped at Wal Mart for birthday cards then to Taco Bell for lunch where I overheard a father in the next booth explaining to his two small children about how responsible people carry guns.

Last edited by a moderator:

fozzy71

Semi-OC (AIWB with shirt-tucked (yes, I obv have my CPL)) every day, every where..... no questions, complaints, issues. Is it considered a Virginia tuck if your entire shirt is tucked? Once fall finally hits and my new stealthgear usa scorpion+ AIWB holster gets here I may switch to full CC mode until spring has sprung.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Semi-OC (AIWB with shirt-tucked (yes, I obv have my CPL)) every day, every where..... no questions, complaints, issues. Is it considered a Virginia tuck if your entire shirt is tucked? Once fall finally hits and my new stealthgear usa scorpion+ AIWB holster gets here I may switch to full CC mode until spring has sprung.
Yes & No

Michigan law seems to be based one one court case that was decided (unpublished) by the trier of fact in a way most favorable to the prosecution
Bottom line it depends on how much of the gun needs to be seen by "common observation."
http://miopencarry.org/faq#11

This answer is based on Virginia's reading of Common Law
If the entire shirt is tucked that is simply OC. To be OC, the entire gun or holster does not have to be visible. Only enough of it to be identified as a gun

Steve47

I did an OC road cleanup, my neighbor looked at me weird for a few sec before drove away with his car and my other neighbor asked me if everything is alright, then thanked me for picking up trash from the ditch/road.

[video=youtube;dAPFTXQFnyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAPFTXQFnyI[/video]

Raggs

These shows are a great place not to go!

So, got up early, got around and was all heads up for a good day at the Kalamazoo Gun and Knife Show at the Kalamazoo County Expo Center. The show opens at 9 a.m.

HA! Yeah right. I get there, and on the second set of doors is plastered this BS:
XQ7xn72.jpg

So here I am, back at home, posting this idiocy to OCDO and preparing an email to this "Sport Show Promotions" group. And it's not even 10 a.m.