• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws for non resident carrying in Michigan

Tucker6900

Its been a while since I've been here. Its good to be back.

In case you haven't heard, Iowa just recently went to Constitutional Carry. So, we are no longer required to have a permit to carry weapons. If my state does not require a permit to carry, do I need one to carry concealed in Michigan?

Also, I built a .300 blackout AR pistol with an 80% lower. I generally have that locked under the rear seat of my pickup. Is that something I should leave home or can I bring it with me?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Its been a while since I've been here. Its good to be back.

In case you haven't heard, Iowa just recently went to Constitutional Carry. So, we are no longer required to have a permit to carry weapons. If my state does not require a permit to carry, do I need one to carry concealed in Michigan?

Also, I built a .300 blackout AR pistol with an 80% lower. I generally have that locked under the rear seat of my pickup. Is that something I should leave home or can I bring it with me?
Open Carry is legal with restrictions. You must have a valid permit/license to carry a loaded handgun in a
vehicle in Michigan. For Residents of Michigan without a CPL you must carry a firearm registered to you.
For Non Residents if you do not have a permit/license from your state of residents Concealed and/or Open
Carry is not an option for you
Does the firearm have a serial number? If it does not, leave it at home.

solus

from IA state patrol, quote:
Reasons why Iowans may still consider obtaining an Iowa permit to carry:

Allows Iowans to carry in states with permit reciprocity while traveling.
May prevent potential delays resulting from a delayed NICS check when purchasing from a FFL.
May clarify any questions an individual has regarding their eligibility to carry or possess firearms. unquote.

from handgunlaw.us - Michigan, quote:
Michigan honors all other states Resident Permits/Licenses to carry concealed firearms. Michigan Does Not Honor Non-Resident Permits/Licenses. You must be a resident of the state that issued your Permit/License for that Permit/License to be valid in Michigan.
unquote
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fhandgunlaw.us%2Fstates%2Fmichigan.pdf&clen=405560&chunk=true

Tucker6900

from IA state patrol, quote:
Reasons why Iowans may still consider obtaining an Iowa permit to carry:

Allows Iowans to carry in states with permit reciprocity while traveling.
May prevent potential delays resulting from a delayed NICS check when purchasing from a FFL.
May clarify any questions an individual has regarding their eligibility to carry or possess firearms. unquote.

from handgunlaw.us - Michigan, quote:
Michigan honors all other states Resident Permits/Licenses to carry concealed firearms. Michigan Does Not Honor Non-Resident Permits/Licenses. You must be a resident of the state that issued your Permit/License for that Permit/License to be valid in Michigan.
unquote
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fhandgunlaw.us%2Fstates%2Fmichigan.pdf&clen=405560&chunk=true
Yeah. Thanks Solus.

I had let mine expire by accident, realized it was expired immediately prior to traveling to Michigan, and was scrambling for answers.

Thanks again. Have a great day!