• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lack of respect for authorities

solus

NavyLCDR and I were/are both in the military service; the military doesn't require you to respect anyone but it DOES require you to show respect. I can have complete and utter disdain for someone and still say "Yes, Sir" or "No, Ma'am" or "Please pass the salt."

It doesn't mean I respect them one iota, it merely means I'm complying with a societal norm.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a young Lieutenant about saluting.
"Saluting is a show of respect..." said he.
"Yes, and it also means a person doesn't have a weapon in his hand to strike the other. That's why the subordinate person shows his weakness first."
"Right."
".... Yeah... too bad I'm left-handed. I can salute and still be the first to reach for a weapon."

that is not respect and you know it, so quit blowing smoke in everyone's ear as you know the difference!!

unadulterated brain washed obedience is what makes you say 'sir' and there is punishment associated with your failure to act if you do not meet the service's established criteria. (some services are more entrenched than others as their perception of discipline might be more stringent!)

same perception of a good southern child calling their daddy, SIR, the concept is re-enforced over and over again as well as sometimes beat into the child! that is not respect!!

ipse

Last edited:

solus

I tried reading through the entire thread before responding, but after reading your endless, repeated attempts to make it not a police employee's fault when they shoot someone who is an obvious non-threat has grown tiresome.

The #1 reason why there are more police shootings than EVER before is because we are the enemy. That, of course, is the result of numerous years of crimes committed by police employees and their departments that "investigate their own" and find no fault. The departments should not be allowed to investigate crimes committed by their own employees. More often than not, the ones doing the investigating are the same people who the servant goes golfing with, has BBQ's with, drinks beer with. It is a huge conflict of interest that needs to stop.

You think these shootings are about lack of respect? Was there lack of respect in the video from the OP? Was THIS a lack of respect? What about THIS? Or THIS?

The only lack or respect I see is from the police side. WE are the ones who deserve the respect. Each officer who fires his weapon at an unarmed person should be sentenced to the death penalty. Period.

You need to open your eyes and see what is happening. EVERY time there is something like this, the mainstream media immediately labels the police the victim and the subject the criminal. Depending on which article you read, within the first paragraph, the reporter points out that the subject was heavily intoxicated and not responding to officers commands. Do you think that is an accident? They do that so the brainwashed people dont get jarred out of their trance and realize that the police are not here to help.

just get your state legislature to pass statutes as the Hoosier state did...basically took away their immediate immunity from prosecution.

piece of cake.

ipse

twoskinsonemanns

I tried reading through the entire thread before responding, but after reading your endless, repeated attempts to make it not a police employee's fault when they shoot someone who is an obvious non-threat has grown tiresome.

lol You should have kept reading.

The money shot was in post #28

Fallschirjmäger

that is not respect and you know it, so quit blowing smoke in everyone's ear as you know the difference!!

unadulterated brain washed obedience is what makes you say 'sir' and there is punishment associated with your failure to act if you do not meet the service's established criteria. (some services are more entrenched than others as their perception of discipline might be more stringent!)

same perception of a good southern child calling their daddy, SIR, the concept is re-enforced over and over again as well as sometimes beat into the child! that is not respect!!
If I may correct the esteemed gentleman from North Cackalacky , I did not say it was, in fact I specifically said that it wasn't. I said that the military requires one to show respect, (not feel.)

I would most kindly suggest he take advantage of one of these many offers.

Last edited:

solus

Fallschirmjäger, fyi, i'm an Evelyn Woods kinda individual...

and truly disappointed you need to resort to insults to bolster your esteem and ego...quite unbecoming of you.

ipse

Fallschirjmäger

Fallschirmjäger, fyi, i'm an Evelyn Woods kinda individual...

and truly disappointed you need to resort to insults to bolster your esteem and ego...quite unbecoming of you.
From someone who said I was "blowing smoke in everyone's ear" and implied I'd been 'unadulterated brain washed' I rather take that as a compliment.
Perhaps the gentleman should take the 'comprehension' and 'retention' parts of that Evelyn Woods correspondence course again?

solus

From someone who said I was "blowing smoke in everyone's ear" and implied I'd been 'unadulterated brain washed' I rather take that as a compliment.
Perhaps the gentleman should take the 'comprehension' and 'retention' parts of that Evelyn Woods correspondence course again?

you might wish to research pavlov's classical conditioning. in relation to your military time and why you were threatened, punished, if you didn't obediently salute

oh wait you're already drooling....

ipse

solus

do you two need a room ~ geez submariner reunion here... :p

btw thanks to you both & MSG Laigaie for your service, ya even the bloke fm GA who jumped out of perfectly good aeroplanes, and others who might not have mentioned their service to our country's well being...

to you kind folk, i will render a respectful salute!!

ipse

Last edited:

OC for ME

Yeah, we were pretty ticked off when 4 x 1/2 days was not enough in off crew and we actually had to start mustering on Fridays.... :cool:
...off crew...:rolleyes:

My first boat, after five years, the sea/in port ration at a 90/10% average. Six month IO run went to 10 months, our relief broke down a week out from Groton and had to go back. We did get to go to Perth for five days though...yeah!;)

OC for ME

LOL Ever read the cruise reports at the Wikipedia, most of the boats that I've looked at have 'em, except the USS Ustafish, the toughest boat of all.
Oh, I forgot the two three week vacations at the BIOT Diego Garcia...tropical paradise.;)

One run there were three boats.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08676.htm

The Old Man of the Brit boat tossed a case of cheap scotch out onto the ice since we were a dry. Got a invite to the senior rates mess, six hour liberty while keeping scientists from becoming polar bear snacks.

Phoenix David

Your argument has persuaded me. I have seen the light.

Hmmm, somehow I don't think so. :D

Do you automatically respect the trash man that picks up your trash? You are more likely to die from poor sanitation then crime. Do you automatically respect the lineman repairing the transformer that is powering a hospital? Do you automatically respect the drunk behind Wal-Mart that just peed all over himself and is asking for money?

Now there is being polite, which everyone should do but many find lacking

IMO Just because someone is in a position of authority does not grant them automatic respect. For example there is no Congress critter that I know of that I have any respect for.

twoskinsonemanns

Hmmm, somehow I don't think so. :D

Do you automatically respect the trash man that picks up your trash? You are more likely to die from poor sanitation then crime. Do you automatically respect the lineman repairing the transformer that is powering a hospital? Do you automatically respect the drunk behind Wal-Mart that just peed all over himself and is asking for money?

Now there is being polite, which everyone should do but many find lacking

IMO Just because someone is in a position of authority does not grant them automatic respect. For example there is no Congress critter that I know of that I have any respect for.

Nah I really agree with you.
Reading the whole thread may be enlightening.