• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked Out of Ron's Guns in East Lyme, CT

atrule

imported post

I've noticed a sign at Chris's Indoor Range in Guilford that said something like it is a fine or prison time to bring a loaded gun into the store and range. However, I have brought one in CC as carrying it in and out that way. I think if you are basically safe, that is what matters to them. It seems to me they put rules up because of problem cases, but if you don't cause a problem, they look the other way.

Anyway, I recently thought of one way to get around having a LOADED gun in the store. If you can, take the clip out when it is in the holster. I don't think that should be too hard nor a problem. That should take care of the problem for Ron's Guns in East Lyme. Everyone should be happy.

I suppose it gets a little harder if you are in the habit of keeping one in the chamber too. But, maybe you can adjust that in the car before you go into the store.

Looking for discrete clever ways to accommodate all.

[LOVER, sometimes it does pay to pay especial attention to grammar in sentences.] ;-)

FMJ

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Just a reminder: an employee is not on the same legal footing as an owner or agent and cannot speak on behalf of the owner.
But they very well may be "in possession or control of the premises" so that their word rules.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

uskrusader wrote:
Well, I'll admit that on the way in I did not search all the fine print on the front of the store....there were many advertisements, notes, etc.

I asked (politely, of course), and the employeed said it was posted "somewhere". I looked on the way out and still didn't see it. Again, I admit that I didn't look long because I didn't feel like being there anymore.

All the other gun stores I visited support the legal carry of firearms. I'm not deeply offended by their rules or their reaction....I just think its kinda dumb for a store whose business is providingthe toolsfor carry....to actually deny the right to carry in their store.

I'm willing to bet that many people CC there without knowing their rules. I've been there many times CCing and also never noticed or heard of such a rule.

I'm kinda happy that at least open carry was not challenged at the store....only that the revolver was loaded caused their concern. Silly, Ithink, thatthey'd be ok with me OCing an unloaded revolver.

atrule wrote:
I've noticed a sign at Chris's Indoor Range in Guilford that said something like it is a fine or prison time to bring a loaded gun into the store and range. However, I have brought one in CC as carrying it in and out that way. I think if you are basically safe, that is what matters to them. It seems to me they put rules up because of problem cases, but if you don't cause a problem, they look the other way.

Anyway, I recently thought of one way to get around having a LOADED gun in the store. If you can, take the clip out when it is in the holster. I don't think that should be too hard nor a problem. That should take care of the problem for Ron's Guns in East Lyme. Everyone should be happy.

I suppose it gets a little harder if you are in the habit of keeping one in the chamber too. But, maybe you can adjust that in the car before you go into the store.

Looking for discrete clever ways to accommodate all.

[LOVER, sometimes it does pay to pay especial attention to grammar in sentences.] ;-)
Seems like CC has an advantage over OC in these kinds of situations....
39.gif

gluegun

imported post

Seems like CC has an advantage over OC in these kinds of situations....
I don't see why we're debating CC vs OC on OCDO... :?

Anyway, I recently thought of one way to get around having a LOADED gun in the store. If you can, take the clip out when it is in the holster. I don't think that should be too hard nor a problem. That should take care of the problem for Ron's Guns in East Lyme. Everyone should be happy. I suppose it gets a little harder if you are in the habit of keeping one in the chamber too. But, maybe you can adjust that in the car before you go into the store.
I don't like having to disarm. The more times I have to handle my firearm, the more likely it is that a negligent discharge will happen. We would all be safer if the guns remained holstered from the time we strapped them on until the time we put them in the safe.

I don't carry a gun for decorative purposes. It should function whenever I might need it.

romma

imported post

Code:
I don't see why we're debating CC vs OC on OCDO...

Why not look at pro's vs con's in a forum like this? To me, this seems like the best place to break down logical viewpoints.. I would advocate for the samedebate on ConcealedCarry.ORG if there was onew, and I posted there.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

romma wrote:
Code:

Why not look at pro's vs con's in a forum like this? To me, this seems like the best place to break down logical viewpoints.. I would advocate for the samedebate on ConcealedCarry.ORG if there was onew, and I posted there.
It did exist, however they are now defunct!

http://www.concealcarry.org/

gluegun

imported post

romma wrote:
Code:

Good point. I withdraw my previous lament. :)

son of a bear

important post

I realize that it has been some time since the original post was made but I will add this. Today, Feb. 13, 2013, I went to Ron’s Gun Shop to purchase some ammo that was hard to find in my home area. Keeping in mind that I had just this morning read the original post I entered the shop with that statement in mind. As you walk in the door just above you and to the right is a 8.5 X 11 inch sign stating that loaded firearms are not allowed to be carried in this shop. This is not a quote but it does provide the reader with the wishes of the shop owner. Upon cashing out I mentioned this original post and he said that he was aware of it and he further went on to say the reason for this sign is because earlier a police officer came into the shop carrying and his weapon went off firing into the shelf of ammo. From that day on it has been posted and been a shop rule. This sign has not hindered his business or his relationship with his fellow firearms owners. One of the best small gun shops around.
Bear

davidmcbeth

Banned
uskrusader wrote:

Seems like you failed to be observant enough to spot it. .

That's the problem with these stupid laws .. what if your vision isn't 100%? You still have a right to carry right?

Look, THEY have a business in a state that allows carry. THEY open up a shop to the public. THEY should have no right to argue that one is trespassing -- heck, they opened up their place to the public.

And now, if you don't catch a sign you can go to JAIL.

Its retarded ... these are the laws that should be changed ... "his property" crap .. tired of hearing it ... 50% of postings here are about getting hassled for carrying .... if the penalty was a 20 dollar fine then it would be one thing ... one should not have to go to jail because a storekeeper freaking puts up a stupid sign. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an anti.

And in respect to Ron's Guns ... I have no idea how they stay in business .. seems like its more a meeting place for Ron & his cronies than a business. I've never had an issues there but have never bought anything there either ... the selection is very small

Johnhenry

public property VS private property

That's the problem with these stupid laws .. what if your vision isn't 100%? You still have a right to carry right?

Look, THEY have a business in a state that allows carry. THEY open up a shop to the public. THEY should have no right to argue that one is trespassing -- heck, they opened up their place to the public.

And now, if you don't catch a sign you can go to JAIL.

Its retarded ... these are the laws that should be changed ... "his property" crap .. tired of hearing it ... 50% of postings here are about getting hassled for carrying .... if the penalty was a 20 dollar fine then it would be one thing ... one should not have to go to jail because a storekeeper freaking puts up a stupid sign. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an anti.

And in respect to Ron's Guns ... I have no idea how they stay in business .. seems like its more a meeting place for Ron & his cronies than a business. I've never had an issues there but have never bought anything there either ... the selection is very small

Rons Guns like many other business`s is not owned by the public like "public land". He possesses the deed, and pays the taxes on it and its simply his property just like your own home.
As a patron there you are invited onto his property. If he says "please leave", for whatever reason and you don`t, you now become a trespasser and now subject to the arm of the laws which protect the property owner. It is simply "His Property".

By the way, his rule of no loaded weapons simply says that. Unload your weapon and continue into the store with said unloaded weapon concealed or open. So get over it, as no one is forcing you to shop there.

papa bear

here on OCDO, we do bend over backwards to allow for the anti-constitutional business's that treat us as second class citizens, that are just using our 2ndA rights. some say " just don't go there anymore", the only problem with that is that they will not count you anyway. out of sight out of mind.

i am for sending the anti constitutional business, the receipts of the money you didn't spend at their place

20$ x 4 times a month x 100 carriers x 12 mos. = 9600 a year

Ctclassic

Rons Guns like many other business`s is not owned by the public like "public land". He possesses the deed, and pays the taxes on it and its simply his property just like your own home.
As a patron there you are invited onto his property. If he says "please leave", for whatever reason and you don`t, you now become a trespasser and now subject to the arm of the laws which protect the property owner. It is simply "His Property".

By the way, his rule of no loaded weapons simply says that. Unload your weapon and continue into the store with said unloaded weapon concealed or open. So get over it, as no one is forcing you to shop there.

Been to Ron's several times over the years and each time I felt as if I was a bother to him rather than a perspective customer. He also has the personally of a wet rag. I'll will ( and have ) take my $$ elsewhere. As a business owner , your correct he does have the right to have his own rules etc., BUT his customers have the final say on how successful his business ultimately is. Funny how that works huh JohnHenry? And last I checked, I don't live in California, I will not unload my firearm...period!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
. If he says "please leave",

Well that's just it .. no body tells you PLEASE LEAVE .. they just shove a small sign up and if you don't see it, then you go to jail.

Its retarded. Its a business..one expects to be welcomed...they advertise "come on in!"... if someone put up a sign "those without a gun are trespassing" how well would that fly?

Oh, oh, oh ... see.....

For those that support these signs and the laws and punishment behind them -- you are an anti but don't want to admit it..

Last edited:

Johnhenry

Well that's just it .. no body tells you PLEASE LEAVE .. they just shove a small sign up and if you don't see it, then you go to jail.

Its retarded. Its a business..one expects to be welcomed...they advertise "come on in!"... if someone put up a sign "those without a gun are trespassing" how well would that fly?

Oh, oh, oh ... see.....

For those that support these signs and the laws and punishment behind them -- you are an anti but don't want to admit it..

Paint me pro or anti, whatever you want. Ive been carrying for over 40 years so I really dont much care what you think about my opinions. If I want to shop there I`ll respect the business owners wishes and will not demand entry just because I have the right to carry a loaded weapon. By your train of thought because you have the right to carry you should not be denied entry to a public US courthouse.
Heres a thought for you,why not ask Ron why he posts the sign?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Paint me pro or anti, whatever you want. Ive been carrying for over 40 years so I really dont much care what you think about my opinions. If I want to shop there I`ll respect the business owners wishes and will not demand entry just because I have the right to carry a loaded weapon. By your train of thought because you have the right to carry you should not be denied entry to a public US courthouse.
Heres a thought for you,why not ask Ron why he posts the sign?

Well I certainly hope that if you miss a sign one time and carry where the owner has posted a sign that you do not go to jail or prison.

A courthouse? Really, comparing a courthouse to a store? I would think that almost all would know to be exceptionally aware that most courthouses are "special" places (even though they should not be).

I'm not interested in why Ron posts his sign....I am more concerned with the penalties for not following the sign .. it not an infraction .. its a misdemeanor in which jail time can be applied.

So if one does not support that a gun owner should be treated like a criminal just for missing a sign that may not be posted well or because the sun was shining on the window then one can argue against: 1) the law regarding signs and/or 2) penalties associated with the law regarding signs c) both 1&2 d) complain about the store owner (which people do here all the time)

And if one supports the sign laws and the associated penalties then I consider that to be an anti-viewpoint.

Food for thought.

I'm guessing that in 40 years of carrying, you (or others) missed at least one sign ... and that may be a 99.999% compliance rate ... but that 0.001% could have made you or others a criminal; which is outrageous...

Last edited:

MKEgal

son of a bear said:
... sign stating that loaded firearms are not allowed to be carried in this shop. This is not a quote but it does provide the reader with the wishes of the shop owner... the reason for this sign is because earlier a police officer came into the shop carrying and his weapon went off firing into the shelf of ammo. From that day on it has been posted
So because of the poor training of one police officer, (who was obviously handling his gun & breaking the basic safety rules, 'cause guns don't just "go off"), everyone has to have their rights infringed?

Sounds an awful lot like the people who say that because there have been some criminals who use guns to commit crimes, everyone has to have their rights infringed.

In fact, that exact same problem (LEO behaving badly, not knowing basic firearm safety) is why UT now prohibits live ammo in the classroom during their cc permit classes. The regular everyday citizens never caused any problem.

How many years had this store been in business, how many people had been through that store, without any problem, before this one poorly-trained public servant caused an ND? And why wasn't his department notified? Heck, they'd have to be called for an ND anyway, and have to know who was the idiot who caused it.

Johnhenry said:
By your train of thought because you have the right to carry you should not be denied entry to a public US courthouse.
You're right - no publicy-funded (taxpayer supported) building, or office of an elected representative, should be prohibited to any law-abiding citizen, no matter what rights s/he chooses to exercise.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
So because of the poor training of one police officer, (who was obviously handling his gun & breaking the basic safety rules, 'cause guns don't just "go off"), everyone has to have their rights infringed?

When I was a dealer .. I wouldn't let cops in my place or sell to them ... don't need them spying on me .. I don't consider gov't employees as having the same rights ordinary citizens do...they represent the state or fed gov't.

WalkingWolf

Business owners of Ct you have the right to not allow firearms. OC consumers of CT you absolutely have the right not to kiss their backside an tell them to bugger off, and take your business elsewhere. The nerve to complain that business will complain to government because someone exercises their right to boycott them. Glad we don't have that problem here and that most gun business and other business take the concerns of their customers seriously.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Business owners of Ct you have the right to not allow firearms. OC consumers of CT you absolutely have the right not to kiss their backside an tell them to bugger off,

Yes I have walked out of many a business when they have been rude, didn't give good customer service,prices were too high.

I remember one small town gun shop telling me not to handle the use guns unless I was buying it. I turned around walked out never went back. They were out of business a couple years latter.

Their choice your choice with out your money they will not be around long.