• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just recieved my permit

Kingfish

Well, it took a while but permit finally arrived yesterday.

Applied - May 17th
Fingerprinted - Jun 17th
Issue date - Aug 16th
Received - Aug 21st

96 Days or 13 Weeks 5 Days

Pretty standard time line for Dekalb County. I now live in Forsyth county and will be OCing most everywhere I go.

aadvark

DeKalb County broke Georgia Law, as Georgia Law imposes time limits for the issuance of Georgia Weapons Carry Licenses throughout the State, and due to State Preemption, DeKalb County can not abstain from those time impositions.
Relevant Statute: 16-11-129(d)(4), and Court Action Section 16-11-129(j).

Last edited:

Kingfish

DeKalb County broke Georgia Law, as Georgia Law imposes time limits for the issuance of Georgia WEapons Carry Licenses throughout the State, and due to State Preemption, DeKalb County can not abstain from those time impositions.
Relevant Statute: 16-11-129(d)(4), and Court Action Section 16-11-129(j).

Well, Dekalb is unique in that they wait for an optional report from the State Mental Health system. There is no statutory time limit for this report. Dekalb County Police however are breaking the law for making people wait 30 days to get fingerprinted. There are lawyers working on this issue.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
i wonder if fulton county is as long...ive been going on ~33 days...then again i just moved here...

aadvark

DeKalb County HAS to follow State-wide Preemption of Firearms Laws.
Georgia Code 16-11-129(J) states:
Any Person who has been Hospitalized as an INPATIENT in any Mental Hospital or Alcohol or Drug Treatment Center within the five years immediately preceding the Application. The Judge of the Probate Court may require any Applicant to sign a Waiver Authorizing any Mental Hospital or Treatment Center to inform the Judge whether or not the Applicant has been an Inpatient in any such Facility in the last five years and Authorizing the Superintendent of such Facility to make to the Judge a recommendation regarding whether the Applicant is a threat to the Safety of others and whether a License to Carry a Weapon should be issued. When such a Waiver is required by the Judge, The Applicant shall pay a fee of $3.00 for reimbursement of the cost of making such a Report by the Mental Health Hospital, Alcohol, or Drug Treatment Center, or the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities, which the Judge shall remit to the Hospital, Center, or Department. The Judge shall keep any such Hospitalization or Treatment Information Confidential. It shall be at the Discretion of the Judge, considering the circumstances surrounding the Hospitalization and the Recommendation of the Superintendent of the Hospital or Treatment Center where the Individual was a Patient, to issue the Weapons Carry License or Renewal License.

Obstensibly..., Georgia Code 16-11-129(J) does not require checks beyond 5 years immediately preceeding the date of The Application for a Weapons Carry License, AND The Report is irreleveant when and where only OUTPATIENT Treatment is recieved.

Georgia Code 16-11-129(d)(1) furher states:
(d) Investigation of Applicant; Issuance of Weapons Carry License; [or] Renewal.
(1) For both Weapons Carry License Applications and Requests for License Renewals, the Judge of The Probate Court SHALL within five days following the Receipt of The Application or Request direct the Law Enforcement Agency to Request a Fingerprint based Criminal History Records Check from the Georgia Crime Information Center and Federal Bureau of Investigation.

This HAS to be done within 5 days of the reciept of The Application, not 30 days.

zhangman

All in a week

Congratulations on receiving your GFL. I got mine surprisingly within a week. However, I live within Carroll county boundaries. Only problem was, the local PD stated they had a hard time getting a good enough fingerprint, but guess what? My GFL had a fingerprint on it! You never know anymore.

leal09

Emanuel co.

i applied for mine a week ago.The lady in the court house said i should have it in about 10 days. I CANT WAIT!!!!

bmbaker2k5

My grandmother for hers but had to go back 3 times because her finger prints are so wrinkled lol. She was telling me about it.

I got mine in gwinnett county it took mine a month to come in. but gwinnett has hundreds in processing at any given time.

Posted from my Samsung EPIC 4G on Nationwide Sprint Network using Tapatalk Pro

leal09

Emanuel co.

Well, i got my weapons carry license in the mail 3 days ago and will be OCing everywhere i go. Total time-10 days!!!!!

rmodel65

Well, i got my weapons carry license in the mail 3 days ago and will be OCing everywhere i go. Total time-10 days!!!!!

now asap send an application to PA and get the PA LTCF to pick up a few more states like Virginia etc time is running out