• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I've seen all kinds of gun transactions...but not this

solus

Shouldn't be too hard to determine/verify whether an individual with that name is in fact a FFL and where. Someone could just out right ask him for confirmable specifics.

Personally, I still would not want to do business with him. He is too slick, too evasive. He might not even be the person he claims to be.

if the individual, quote: FFL eZ Check does not validate Type 03 (Collectors of Curios and Relics) and Type 06 (Manufacturer of Ammunition) licenses. All attempts to check the validity of Type 03 and Type 06 licenses will result in an error message, even though the licenses may be valid. An FFL should not use this error message as reason to deny dealing with a Type 03 licensee. unquote. https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

additionally, with some exceptions in certain states, firearm sales amongst private citizens does not necessitate a FFL or have any oversight.

ipse

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
if the individual, quote: FFL eZ Check does not validate Type 03 (Collectors of Curios and Relics) and Type 06 (Manufacturer of Ammunition) licenses. All attempts to check the validity of Type 03 and Type 06 licenses will result in an error message, even though the licenses may be valid. An FFL should not use this error message as reason to deny dealing with a Type 03 licensee. unquote. https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

additionally, with some exceptions in certain states, firearm sales amongst private citizens does not necessitate a FFL or have any oversight.

ipse

Well..... I checked with ATF and what the guy is doing is illegal as can be.
I withdrew from the page because I don't want to be associated with it if the boom gets lowered.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

ipse
Quite aware that transactions between individuals living in the same state need not go through an FFL.
https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

This person is too inconsistent with his story - would want no part of him or his business.

KBCraig

The FFL ez-Check works for dealers (Type 01 FFLs).

Dealers can sell to non-licensees only at their place of business, or at a gun show in the state where their business is located; away from either location, they're just John Q.

This guy says he's doing a non-FFL transaction from his private collection, which is perfectly legal... IF:

...if the transfer is between residents of the same state (no interstate transfers are allowed without an FFL involved, except for firearms bequeathed in a will); OR:

...if the transfer is made through an FFL in the receiver's state of residence.

This is Gun Law 101.

solus

The FFL ez-Check works for dealers (Type 01 FFLs).
Dealers can sell to non-licensees only at their place of business, or at a gun show in the state where their business is located; away from either location, they're just John Q.
This guy says he's doing a non-FFL transaction from his private collection, which is perfectly legal... IF:

...if the transfer is between residents of the same state (no interstate transfers are allowed without an FFL involved, except for firearms bequeathed in a will); OR:

...if the transfer is made through an FFL in the receiver's state of residence
This is Gun Law 101.

you do capture the essence correctly in your first sentence...then it gets a bit hazy...

1. Do you have a cite for the bolded statement in your quoted post... especially the concept of 'between residents of the same state' ?? last time i understood a private sale between two citizens is just that...a private sale (btw...both the buyer and seller are legally allowed to possess firearms and they meet unique state statutes if there any, e.g., NC buyer must have a PPP/CHP to show to the seller)

2. do you have a cite for the underlined statement...suppose the FFL is from out of state and buys the firearm from a private citizen in the private citizen's state??

ipse