• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Maine going consitutional carry?

Firearms Iinstuctor

Repeal of Maine gun permit law sought by dozens

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:56:39 PM · by neverdem · 5 replies
Morning Sentinel ^ | April 11, 2013 | Tom Bell

No one testifies in favor of keeping the requirement for concealed weapons, but it's still likely to remain. AUGUSTA – Gun rights activists showed up in force Thursday at the State House to support a bill that would overturn a 96-year-old Maine requirement for people to obtain a permit if they want to carry a concealed weapon. Citing the "knee-jerk reaction" to tighten gun restrictions in the wake of the December shootings of 20 children and six educators in Newtown, Conn., gun rights advocates said it's time to stand up for their constitutional rights. "We need to push back," said

ddb maine

This story is now gone?
I cant find any mention of it on the sentinel..

How? Where? Who? organized the gathering? I'd Like to be a part of such events if I can.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Repeal of Maine gun permit law sought by dozens

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:56:39 PM · by neverdem · 5 replies
Morning Sentinel ^ | April 11, 2013 | Tom Bell

No one testifies in favor of keeping the requirement for concealed weapons, but it's still likely to remain. AUGUSTA – Gun rights activists showed up in force Thursday at the State House to support a bill that would overturn a 96-year-old Maine requirement for people to obtain a permit if they want to carry a concealed weapon. Citing the "knee-jerk reaction" to tighten gun restrictions in the wake of the December shootings of 20 children and six educators in Newtown, Conn., gun rights advocates said it's time to stand up for their constitutional rights. "We need to push back," said
It is customary to provide a link to the original when quoting a source.

boyscout399

There is a bill LD 660 that would make Maine Constitutional Carry. It is the third session that the bill has come to committee and it has not made it out of committee yet.

tazxrulz

This would be amazing! We need a federal law making this whole country a constitutional carry country.. Last time I checked the constitution was the law of the land.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I do hope that Maine does it, but includes a way to allow your permit to be good in other states.

____
Maine Carry Firearm Instructor

Opening the doors to considerably more reciprocity agreements would be a good beginning

Looked at your site, was disappointed that when I clicked on "read more" it was indicated that I would have to register first.

What is your position on open carry? Will you be including OC in your curriculum?

USNVet

update

Here's the list testimonies from the 8 April 2015 work session. Another session scheduled 24 April.

According to the State Police, the permit system is a joke. They have no idea how many permits are issued. They only know of those that are issued from the State.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/getTestimonyDoc.asp?id=27249

List of all testimonies:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/display_ps.asp?paper=SP0245&PID=0&snum=127&sec3

At the same time LD 832 is on the table to change the Permit law so that only the State Police have issuing authority.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...c.asp?id=27289

Last edited:

77zach

Constitutional Carry going to governor who promises to sign

Assuming the Senate agrees to the House's amendments.

The Democrat House will require anyone under 21 to get a permit and for anyone carrying to inform that they are carrying if detained by LE. I would certainly accept these changes to get it in front of the governor. Then go after the stupid in a later session.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...constitutional-carry-passes-senate-and-house/

OC4me

+1 ;-)

It looks like Constitutional Carry is going the same way concealed carry did after Florida and a few other states paved the way! Constitutional Carry is not a fluke that the anti-gunners can long dismiss out-of-hand as there have been several other Constitutional Carry bills that have passed (only to be vetoed). I view those vetoes as just temporary setbacks pending replacement of a defective governor.

Way to go Maine!

Last edited:

77zach

When this goes through, I just might take that trip to Acadia next summer. I have a FL CWFL but Maine's reciprocity is one of the worst, and car carry is illegal without a license.