• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone a Georgia Police Officer?

Fallschirjmäger

To give a partial answer to some of your initial questions...
Yes. you may "...carry my personal weapon to/from my home to my car parked down the street..." provided it is unloaded and encased (a closed, zippered gun rug is sufficient).

However, for any other carry (open or concealed) you would need to obtain a Georgia Weapons License from the probate court of your local county unless you met one of the 16-11-130 exemptions.

Southerner

He says he does, but he is sworn to secrecy, so to use his status as a defense he breaks his oath to secrecy. It makes it very difficult to say "yes you are covered" when a person refuses to give some data.

He should talk to a lawyer, then his secret will stay safe. Outside that I say he should get a permit if he wants to conceal carry in Georgia, then his secret identity is safe.

I understand it's not possible to give a definitive answer. I guess I'll just ask a lawyer here in town. I DO know for a fact I'm specifically prohibited from carrying my duty weapon concealed.

Thanks for the responses everyone. For the record I support open carry.

Southerner

Update:

I stopped into the police headquarters here in town and they said that if I have my creds it wouldn't be an issue. I guess you just never know which officer you'll get.

Fallschirjmäger

The police are the absolute last people I'd ask for an interpretation of the law. If it doesn't violate any forum rules, I'd suggest the OP ask his question at GeorgiaPacking.Org. There are at least 4 practicing lawyers that post there.

I'm unsure where all the supposed 'need for secrecy' comes from, if there are more than two double-naught spies at the same facility you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from a semi-anonymous internet nickname.

Regardless, someone could always ask the hypothetical, "Would a person who was __________ be exempt from needing a GWL" but that might be a bit too easy.

WalkingWolf

The police are the absolute last people I'd ask for an interpretation of the law. If it doesn't violate any forum rules, I'd suggest the OP ask his question at GeorgiaPacking.Org. There are at least 4 practicing lawyers that post there.

I'm unsure where all the supposed 'need for secrecy' comes from, if there are more than two double-naught spies at the same facility you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart from a semi-anonymous internet nickname.

Regardless, someone could always ask the hypothetical, "Would a person who was __________ be exempt from needing a GWL" but that might be a bit too easy.

+1

WalkingWolf

What would your interpretation be for someone like that?

Talk to a lawyer. Honestly I don't see what is so hard about getting a permit. I don't myself believe in them, BUT if you are intent on conceal carrying in a state that requires them, then get one or be a test case. Many LE here have CHP's, if they travel it is much easier to hand over a CHP then play the "I'm a cop routine". Especially retired cops, they don't have the once a year training requirement with a permit.

Last edited:

Southerner

Update to the update. I asked the question directly today to one of the instructors, and he said we are absolutely covered by the law.

Thanks for the input. Much obliged.

Fallschirjmäger

Well, the jig's up as far as what super-squirrel sort of person was inquiring. He's obviously one of the exceptions listed in -130 (unless whoever he asked didn't know what they were talking about.)

Jared

I have a unique situation in that I'm deputized to carry a firearm by the federal govt., but I'm not in my jurisdiction in Georgia. My right to carry is not 24/7 with my duty weapon, and I'm specifically prohibited by my SOP from garnering additional LEO privilege from my credentials.

Do any police officers believe that my credentials will count as one of the exemptions for the Georgia carry permit? I'm a resident of Savannah, GA.

Thanks!

So you are a pilot/FFDO.

They covered these rules with you extensively in Artesia.

They don't count for anything in Georgia for additional state protection.

I recommend getting a Georgia Weapons Carry License.

Now that I answered your question, can you send me some Delta Lounge Passes? :) I've only gotten drunk at the lounge in Terminal E at ATL once...

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
No I am not a Georgia police officer but I would like to be ...

Would I need to get kicked in the head by a mule or something?