• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hr 218 and DC

riggsville

I am a retired LEO in Florida and I am planning a trip to DC in May for Rolling Thunder.

While doing an internet search on DC carry laws I get conflicting information, and when you throw HR 218 into it, it gets even more confusing.

So...Can I carry under HR 218 in the District?

Thanks.

KBCraig

Welcome to the forum.

Just for the sake of accuracy, please refer to it as LEOSA; "HR-218" blinked out of existence the moment the president signed the bill into law in 2004. Matter of fact, there have been different bills with the same number in subsequent sessions of Congress.

LEOSA does apply in DC (the law specifically lists DC, PR, and all territories and possessions as "states" for the purposes of the law). The problem is that LEOSA only overrides state law, not federal law, and much of DC is federal property where federal laws and regulations apply.

We managed to take care of the gun ban in National Parks, so you're good on any NPS property (just not inside buildings). But, there are lots of federal agencies with property in DC, and all of them have their own rules.

I've never seen a comprehensive carry guide to DC. Good luck, though!

Shovelhead

But DC is a strict "Gun Control" area that doesn't allow personal carry of firearms.
Why on earth would you need a means of self defense in our Nation's Capitol?.............
conf40.gif

bangdesk.gif

kellogg2185

^^^ Hahahaha, right? I lived on 9th St. SE, about a ten minute run from the Capitol, just moved back to Missouri in December. We only had weekly shootings, and armed robberies two or three times a week. Fortunately, because it is illegal to carry a weapon in DC, the bad guys can only ask you in a stern voice to give them your money and valuables... What's that? Criminals don't care about the gun laws? Preposterous notion! There's a LAW against that, they have to follow it! I mean, disregard the two times I personally had guns pulled on me while living there. And all the other numerous shootings (less than a year ago a few teens were mowed down with an AK outside their house in a drive-by), are merely pro-gun wackos trying to incite panic into the general public, with the intent to push weaker gun laws! Heathens!

Gunslinger

^^^ Hahahaha, right? I lived on 9th St. SE, about a ten minute run from the Capitol, just moved back to Missouri in December. We only had weekly shootings, and armed robberies two or three times a week. Fortunately, because it is illegal to carry a weapon in DC, the bad guys can only ask you in a stern voice to give them your money and valuables... What's that? Criminals don't care about the gun laws? Preposterous notion! There's a LAW against that, they have to follow it! I mean, disregard the two times I personally had guns pulled on me while living there. And all the other numerous shootings (less than a year ago a few teens were mowed down with an AK outside their house in a drive-by), are merely pro-gun wackos trying to incite panic into the general public, with the intent to push weaker gun laws! Heathens!

The police will protect you, don't worry. Afterall, the ******* chief of police said no one needs a gun in DC. And the dirtbag city government has done everything it can to keep you from having one, to hell with the Constitution and SCOTUS. So you don't need one. Just call a cop to go with you everywhere you need to go and sit on your porch all night to protect your property.

riggsville

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for the info on the LEOSA...
Yes, the conditions of our Nation's Capital are a sad commentary. Our forefathers have got to be rolling in their graves!

But what can we expect, when you have to give more proof of your U.S. citizenship to get a drivers license than Obama did to run for President.

Fact: In Florida, to renew your DL, a "hospital certificate of live birth" is NOT accepted.
Kind of off topic, so forgive me, but when you add it to the attack that our 2nd amendment rights are under, it just makes you're head spin. :banghead::cuss:

Carry24/7

I know no one has post here for a bit but I wanted to add my two cents. I worked in DC as an armed contract security officers for the Fed Govt at many buildings. For the ones you can get into as " Joe of the street" as long as your have your Creds and ID you SHOULD be good. Just let the officer know before entering a security check point that your are carrying and show your Creds. We have guys from all over during police week that carry. Rolling Thunder is a great time. Never seen so many bikes in my life. Hope you enjoy the city and have a great time.

Just FYI, Stay out of S.E. and N.E. DC. You will need your firearm there. LOL