• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

jun

Called BFPE today, they verified receipt of my appeal letter and questionnaire. She said she only updates the appeal hearing schedule every 2 weeks so I should be receiving my preliminary hearing date via mail in another week or so. Will update once received.

Do you think your application will move any faster by submitting an appeal?

Last edited:

Johearn

Of course you believed her :rolleyes:

of course, I am sure there are not statutory timeframe mandates on processing appears :eek:

CT’s production of ghee is alive and well and I wonder if Scott wrote this to describe CT officialdom, “Oh what a tangled web we weave... once we practice to deceive.”

I just don't get it. I follow the advice from the beginning of this post that you have been looking down on us all for "ignoring". I sent the appeal in via certified mail with a paper trail. I follow it up with a call to the INDEPENDENT board of firearms permit examiners to inquiry about said hearing date and then you talk down to me like I'm not doing enough? Am I supposed to quit my job and go protest outside the state capital until I am granted my permit and further inspire the legislature to remove all gun control laws with my heroic actions? WTF is it that you are trying to get from us solus? Rather than inspiring us to empower ourselves you are just driving more lurkers to not join and not post.

Congrats, I am now done with this thread (unfortunate) and this forum (fortunate).

solus

I just don't get it. I follow the advice from the beginning of this post that you have been looking down on us all for "ignoring". I sent the appeal in via certified mail with a paper trail. I follow it up with a call to the INDEPENDENT board of firearms permit examiners to inquiry about said hearing date and then you talk down to me like I'm not doing enough? Am I supposed to quit my job and go protest outside the state capital until I am granted my permit and further inspire the legislature to remove all gun control laws with my heroic actions? WTF is it that you are trying to get from us solus? Rather than inspiring us to empower ourselves you are just driving more lurkers to not join and not post.

Congrats, I am now done with this thread (unfortunate) and this forum (fortunate).

johearn, sorry if you presumed you were talked down to ~ yippee, you filed an appeal! CT officialdom doesn’t care and absolutely NOTHING will change! But Hey let me call someone inside the officialdom profit center and see if there is a problem ~ darn they told me there is a backlog, now i will go wait some more.

Doing enough, really?

have you pushed the issue in writing to the agency’s sr mgmt for resolution?

have you ping’d the governing agency’s under freedom of information to get how many applied, how long the wait, how many have appealed, AND how many CT citizens have been awarded their permit/license?

Now you have objective ammunition to present to media, lawmakers, governor, ad nauseam instead of being perceived as an isolated, slipped through the crack whining individual.

have you pushed newspeek media to do an investigative reporting on the subject?

thought about ping’g NRA/ SAF/ NSSF/ other pro gun groups for their intervention?

did you let your elected officials, state and local, know you’re really cranky to the point you will work tirelessly to removed them from office?

does the governor know you’re upset the statutory mandates from six years ago do not WORK.

does you’re state level grassroots entity know your upset and are asking for there assistance?

NAWLLL, johearn, my previous post wasn’t talking down...

so when you are out having dinner and something is amiss with service/food/bill do you call the waiter/wait staff/cook for remediation of your problem, real or imagined?

Yes the peon(s) can possibly affect change to your immediate issue but cannot fix the inbred pervasive issues since they cannot fire the cook for bad food, nor fire the wait staff for dirty tables, nor fire servers for being rude.

Only management can affect overal process change ~ you and the other CT keep whining to the peons who can’t change the process, governed by stautory time lines, and to be honest the peons don’t want to change cuz it is their livelihood.

You and CT citizens, ever since the CT laws were changed o/a 2012, have done absolutely nothing to affect a change in your situation whatsoever, except whining woe is us, lookie here at the injustice, ‘called this agency or that ~ nothing’ woe is us...

FIVE YEARS of the same whining rhetoric, all for a piece of paper the majority of states grant their citizens without a shred of effort.

oh, the state won’t let citizens use recreational marijuana or
oh, the state won’t grant same sex marriage licenses and allow civil union or...

keep whining and see what you’ll keep getting...[easier to get an IL FOID card]

I’m keeping more CT citizens from whining about the same pervasive problem the CT citizens refuse to jump up and down about, wait, let me call someone who gives a rat’s...

Last edited:

19LG

Latest update from SPBI

I haven't confirmed this myself, but have heard second hand that CT SPBI is processing apps from June now with the backlog down to around 12 weeks. If anyone has heard something similar let the board know. Just passing along what I heard

19LG

SPBI UPDATE

Per my call today with CT State Police: They are currently processing fingerprint submissions from July 5th. I don't know how many weeks it is once they start to process the prints, but that is the latest update.

sbj

My police department (Middletown) sent my permit application on June 6th. They used a fingerprint card, it wasn't digital. First the department told me August, then September, and now end of October. I've called state police multiple times and it's the same old response about them processing older applications and being backlogged. Really frustrating experience and unfair towards the 2nd amendment in my opinion.

sbj

At this point I'm tempted to call the NRA or ACLU about these issues. Who knows how useful our actual elected officials will be. Reading through this thread, I'm not the only potential gun owner who's gone through this. It's been a pervasive issue for a while. We shouldn't have to go through an insane process and waiting period like this.

solus

At this point I'm tempted to call the NRA or ACLU about these issues. Who knows how useful our actual elected officials will be. Reading through this thread, I'm not the only potential gun owner who's gone through this. It's been a pervasive issue for a while. We shouldn't have to go through an insane process and waiting period like this.

Welcome to OPEN CARRY forum sbj,

BTW did you state the obvious ~ CT officials have been abrogating State stautes for a while and it seems pervasive?

Please take a moment and read the five years of posts on this thread as well as read the ‘well what can we do about’ it commentary. As well as discern no CT citizens apparently care enough to jump up and down so CT’s officialdom maintains status quo over its citizens.

But welcome nonetheless

gutshot II

I bet that ACLU will get right on the problem. I'd look for a solution before the month is out. They are well know as the "go to" defender of gun owners and gun rights.

19LG

My police department (Middletown) sent my permit application on June 6th. They used a fingerprint card, it wasn't digital. First the department told me August, then September, and now end of October. I've called state police multiple times and it's the same old response about them processing older applications and being backlogged. Really frustrating experience and unfair towards the 2nd amendment in my opinion.

Middletown is one of those cities known for taking their sweet time to approve permits even after receiving the state record back. The State as of last week was working on prints from July 5th. I bet you Middletown already has your results back. The State could tell you the date they were sent back to Middletown. My bet is this is a case of Middletown not putting a priority on permits. Plus doesn’t Middletown require additional info like letters of recommendations? The State, while slow, has been consistent at their 13 week backlog. The reason some people get their permits at 14 weeks vs 16-18 weeks is all due to the town in which you reside. Some towns can conclude their own investigation very quickly once they get the prints back. Other bigger towns and cities don’t have a dedicated person handling the permits. They get to them when they get to them since they are typically dealing with other issues like high crime. Luckily I’m in a sleepy town and our PD has someone assigned to the permits. This person answers the phone when you call and returns emails. They told me that my permit will be typed up the moment they get the report back which should be either late this week or next week. That would mirror the 14-15 week wait other residents in my town have had. Sorry for the rambling post but the State almost certainly has already sent your results back to Middletown.

solus

Snipppp...

Luckily I’m in a sleepy town and our PD has someone assigned to the permits. This person answers the phone when you call and returns emails. They told me that my permit will be typed up...snipped...

Sorry for the rambling post but the State almost certainly has already sent your results back to Middletown.

19LG, perhaps you should contact the State and tell them you, in your current volunteer role of CT’s ad hoc conceal carry permit/license coordinator, you want recognition ~ title, stipend, cost plus for internet/phone, and so forth.

Btw 19LG, the local PD took a snapshot for your wall of your state office showing how diligently they responded to citizen’s inquiries checking on the status of their “permits/licenses”

B2B91194-8F95-4944-B477-0F1263F9080F.jpeg

TB12

A little over 12 weeks

I have been lurking on this thread for a while.

I submitted my application on July 11th and picked up my temporary permit yesterday.

Plan on heading to Bridgeport this week to get my permanent license.

Last edited:

19LG

Permit received today

14 weeks and 4 days total time. Went right to the state police for the 5 year permit

since9

Campaign Veteran
Should never take that long. If we can do instant background checks to buy a firearm in 15 minutes, then that person is in possession of a firearm. What difference does it make that a permit takes even one more day?

I find it rather absurd.

Mephisto

Submitted my digital fingerprints August 15th in Putnam. Asked the status today and apparently they’re still backed up into June.

solus

Should never take that long. If we can do instant background checks to buy a firearm in 15 minutes, then that person is in possession of a firearm. What difference does it make that a permit takes even one more day?

I find it rather absurd.

hummm...me thinks you have not noticed this situation as discussed on this forum's thread has been going on for about five years...

absurd, no it is normalcy for the CT firearm owning citizens who allow the 'absurdity' to continue!