• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

ErickCT

Supposedly the State is now doing background checks from June submissions. I didn’t confirm that myself just passing along what I had heard.

Anyone else have any updates? I’m going on 11 weeks

Put in my paperwork april 23 they just called
Me my permit is ready

19LG

My Update:

I called my small local PD last Friday, it has been 6 months and 1 day, they finally got my paperwork from the state.....................Great!!!

Not so fast mister, not so fast.................what she told me was, now I have to go through a mental health screening (I was perplexed).

I asked a LEO friend of mine about this and she told me it started July 1st, 2018. Oh well at least I can see the light at the end of the very long tunnel.

Good luck to everyone, it is not an easy endeavor.

Is that a new requirement? Or just a local requirement? I saw on a previous thread that you had to redo your prints sometime in May?

jun

My Update:

I called my small local PD last Friday, it has been 6 months and 1 day, they finally got my paperwork from the state.....................Great!!!

Not so fast mister, not so fast.................what she told me was, now I have to go through a mental health screening (I was perplexed).

I asked a LEO friend of mine about this and she told me it started July 1st, 2018. Oh well at least I can see the light at the end of the very long tunnel.

Good luck to everyone, it is not an easy endeavor.

Which town takes 6 months and requires mental health screening?

19LG

Which town takes 6 months and requires mental health screening?

I don't think it was 6 months .. per a prior post the fingerprints were redone end of May. My guess is that if the prints are redone you fall back into the pile of applications. The SPBI is processing prints from June now (according to what I heard - wonder if anyone has called there today??). I believe it takes 2-3 days for the State to complete their check and then most of the time they are emailed back to the PD. I've never heard of the mental health screening. I know they review incident reports and prior mental health records maintained by the State but it sounds like a town requirement.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You people do a lot of talking about the problems, delays, and lack of follow through from the powers that be.

How about doing something?

Hold their feet to the fire.

Anything is better that allowing these deplorable conditions to continue.

solus

You people do a lot of talking about the problems, delays, and lack of follow through from the powers that be.

Grape, et al., this thread was started over five [5] years ago with CT residents complaining about EXACTLY the same thing(s).

Re-reading the guidance provided by members at the thread’s beginning in 2013 when CT’s ‘new’ laws went into effect, guidance which apparently was ignored, therefore NOTHING has changed!

Have any of the current group complaining bothered to contact CT Carry? [sidebar, their site seems to be a bit outdated per se, but their phone still is answered as belonging to the organization] Have you checked into filing appeals per http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Timeline ?

As David McBeth stated in 2013, yes you called someone ~ are you sure you were told the truth? David also stated to file.

CT citizens, I will be the first to acknowledge you are being snookered by these gov entities, but I would hope you can see those agencies are well versed in obstructionism activities, and because no adminstrative appeals are filled for an firearm friendly attorney or grassroot entity to use as objective evidence of wrongful practices you will continue to be used as sextoys as will those who come after you, if any do.

CT citizens, you do, by whining out here without showing any sort of collective backbone, show those agencies who may surreptitiously few this public forum that their tactics are doing what they intend to do - frustrate CT citizens with their process delaying antics as well as convincing future CT citizens from even applying for permit/license in the future cuz it is such PITA and not worth the effort.

Last edited:

OlderThanDirt

Is that a new requirement? Or just a local requirement? I saw on a previous thread that you had to redo your prints sometime in May?

Yes I did redo my prints, the entire time from start to not yet finished is over 6 months for me.

I don't know if this is a new requirement or just a local one, but a few google searches found a lot of information regarding the practice.

I don't have an issue with the mental health screening at all, I feel it should have been done all along.

As I said before, I was in the Army, have worked in healthcare for almost 30 years, been an EMT for over 20 years, I have nothing to hide.

I am so old, I used to bring my target rifle on the school bus when I went to school, and I was on my rifle team in middle school and high school (when they still had them).

I never needed this permit, but because of a few uncontrolled individuals, I can no longer go to the store to by ammunition without have a certificate to do so.

So instead of going and getting an ammo cert, I'll just get one that will do it all.

gutshot II

It seems that once these people get their permits, they lose all interest in the matter and in OCDO, too.
Then a new batch of highly concerned patriots steps up wanting a quick and simple answer to "how long does it take.....", seemingly without bothering to read any of the 500+ previous post on that very subject. After finding out that the process will take double the time required by state statute they just dig in and wait the required time, believing every lie fed them by the bureaucrats until their permit finally arrives and then they are gone like the wind. In order to solve a problem one must first acknowledge that there is a problem and then have the will to fight against it. These posters seem to lack both of those things. Not one of these people seems the slightest bit outraged about the situation, just mad they can't have what they want, when they want it. I suspect they have become accustomed to such treatment from their government and can't be bothered by trying to fix it; and anyway by the time they could do anything they would receive their permit in the mail, so why bother? The next guy? Who cares about him? This should have been/could have been fixed 500+ pages ago. Why wasn't it? Nobody gives a damn.

Last edited:

jun

It seems that once these people get their permits, they lose all interest in the matter and in OCDO, too.
Then a new batch of highly concerned patriots steps up wanting a quick and simple answer to "how long does it take.....", seemingly without bothering to read any of the 500+ previous post on that very subject. After finding out that the process will take double the time required by state statute they just dig in and wait the required time, believing every lie fed them by the bureaucrats until their permit finally arrives and then they are gone like the wind. In order to solve a problem one must first acknowledge that there is a problem and then have the will to fight against it. These posters seem to lack both of those things. Not one of these people seems the slightest bit outraged about the situation, just mad they can't have what they want, when they want it. I suspect they have become accustomed to such treatment from their government and can't be bothered by trying to fix it; and anyway by the time they could do anything they would receive their permit in the mail, so why bother? The next guy? Who cares about him? This should have been/could have been fixed 500+ pages ago. Why wasn't it? Nobody gives a damn.

I would like to go against the state with their lack of responsibility for their residents.
Would you direct me on where to get started with this?

19LG

I would like to go against the state with their lack of responsibility for their residents.

Every now and then the local news stations have a story about issues with backlogs like this. I believe they just had a story about the state having a backlog of registrations on firearm transfers. When the story came out it seemed to improve. Maybe tip off the media about this? Either that or contact your state rep and state senator.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The answer is within this forum. You are new here. I suggest to take some time reading many posts here first. Many of us here will help teach you to fish, but you need to read the guidance already contained herein.

Please understand, many of us have spent lots of time repeating ourselves in teaching so called patriots, to which no response comes or thanks given. They just fade away.

Have a read, it's a big forum full of great information.

solus

jun, a couple of suggestions, [sidebar ~ OCDO 2012 thread regarding this very subject: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...als-to-the-Board-of-Firearms-Permit-Examiners ]
1. Cease to nonsensical calling agencies and put all inquires in written format, email/certified letter format as it then no longer becomes a 'he/she said ~ she/he said' argument if the issue becomes a judicial issue.

2. Start in-state and it appears there is on grassroots group CT Carry, [ http://ctcarry.com/ ] who state on their site: under "issues" in their header.
Learn about Connecticut Pistol PermitsConnecticut Carry is dedicated to helping you obtain your pistol permit in the state of Connecticut. We offer full support from obtaining your pistol permit application.

In Connecticut, local issuing authorities (usually your PD) might be reluctant, misinformed or just plain abusive to your right to purchase and carry a handgun. We want to educate and empower you to overcome this behavior. The Connecticut General Statutes define a clear path of behavior, requirements and set deadlines on every action your local issuing authority must take.

Getting your Permit: Permit Timeline Additional Requirements Fingerprinting

More Information​: Permit Statistics Frequently Asked Questions Unconcealed (Open) Carrying

[sidebar regarding grassroots membership ~ I am a janet jackson kinda guy who asks the salient question before joining of "What have you done for me lately, BABY?" as previously mentioned, the site seemed outdated so before jumping in with $$$$ check out that their advocacy is current!}

2. As advised file an administrative appeal as outlined here [ https://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=| ] and IAW CGS29-28a and CGS29-29 stating [ https://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=584962 ]

3. Being a PITA type of person, i would also send "informational" appeal letters to my legislative representatives and country/municipal managers as well as Sherrif/Chief PDs with non-adversarial cover letter stating simply stating: were you aware of this type of statutory non-adhereance was going on towards your community's citizens? [sidebar, leave out the 2A rhetoric please]

hollar at will for other guidance as necessary.

Last edited:

OC for ME

I suspect that the nameless/faceless drones have been directed to shuffle papers a little slower...sucks, but it is a liberal state bureaucracy, infested with liberal nameless/faceless drones...preserving the bureaucracy is job one.

Johearn

12 weeks today. Called the local PD. I was told they are just issuing permits from end of April/beginning of May now (state background check delay, blah blah blah). They expect mine to come back Nov/Dec. I gave them 4 weeks above the 8 statute limit, I’ll be submitting appeal paperwork today. See if I can’t improve that estimate some.

19LG

12 weeks today. Called the local PD. I was told they are just issuing permits from end of April/beginning of May now (state background check delay, blah blah blah). They expect mine to come back Nov/Dec. I gave them 4 weeks above the 8 statute limit, I’ll be submitting appeal paperwork today. See if I can’t improve that estimate some.

You should check with the FBI to see the date they received your check and sent it back. I would also call SPBI and find out where your check is in the queue.