• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can I legally protect my gun while open carrying in rain/snow?

tazxrulz

I was thinking of putting plastic baggie over it. I am just not sure if that would be considered a concealed weapon? I know I definitely don't want to just carry it in the rain and let it get wet.

I meant gun not gin in the title.

Last edited by a moderator:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I know I definitely don't want to just carry it in the rain and let it get wet.

Who cares? You car gets wet. Your house gets wet. They still work. :p

But seriously, any quality firearm can withstand getting wet. Just give it a once-over when you get home. 90% of the time a simple wipe down with oil is plenty. 9% of the time a field strip with a wipe down will do. 1% of the time a detail strip with a wipe down of all parts is necessary.

Actually, the only time I had to go as far as a detail strip was when I dropped a handgun in a pool of water (long, but boring, story).

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

I was thinking of putting plastic baggie over it. I am just not sure if that would be considered a concealed weapon? I know I definitely don't want to just carry it in the rain and let it get wet.

I meant gun not gin in the title.

Just to add to the comment above. Most hunters spend day's and weeks though out their life time in the field with guns in the rain and snow. If the gun is kept clean and well oiled it's as good as new. I speak from experience :)

tazxrulz

I carry my gin in my tummy, summer and winter, to prevent it being diluted by nasty water, rain or melted snow. It makes the very finest antifreeze for me.
Thanks for that. I laughed for a good 2-3 minutes.

Thanks for all your replies. I had someone tell me that it can't get wait under any circumstances. I guess they were wrong.

scott58dh

Do Not Try This At Home !

Disclaimer; Not me in video.

1 - Professionals were Not used to make this vid.

2 - Not a recommended practice yet there are numerous & varied examples of this test on YT.

3 - So Have At It & don't sweat the small stuff.

Peace & Carry Safe !:cool:

[video=youtube;8w84D0Lq8cE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w84D0Lq8cE[/video]

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I carry my gin in my tummy, summer and winter, to prevent it being diluted by nasty water, rain or melted snow. It makes the very finest antifreeze for me.

Yes, that's a good way to protect your gin. Where I'm from, the troublemakers will generally leave your gin alone. What you gotta protect is your corn whiskey. Unless you got it hidden and locked up, while you're out OCing, somebody else will be trying to drink it.

Tha's jes the way i' tis ova heah in the holla.

MainelyGlock

Unless your gun is made of paper, chances are it'll be fine if it gets wet. Just make sure you wipe it down, and take care of it. Even then, if yours happens to be a Glock, it'll be good. I can't personally speak for other guns, but I've literally shot my Glock 22 in rain/sleet/snow/thunderstorm(not a good idea) and it's been carried with me on several hiking and camping trips. Still performs flawlessly, and I haven't cleaned it in almost a year. :eek:

FreeInAZ

Re: How can I legally protect my gin while open carrying in rain/snow?

Even less expensive guns like hi-points will not rust from exposure to moisture. They are made of Zamak3 (slides) & plastic (frames) - with a steel barrel coated with rust prohibiting paint. Even when the slides are exposed to salt water. So a few rain drops or alot of rain, you should be fine. Just do basic maint. & you'll be fine. Now to protect the gin - keep the lid on the flask until your ready for a swig. ;)

WalkingWolf

I fell with the 1911 yesterday into standing water, it was completely immersed. No problem I just broke it down completely, which it needed BTW, dried cleaned and put it back together. Plus I polished up the hammer and sear a little bit more.

Ammo should not be harmed by water, except rimfire. The primer and bullets are tight fit, and do not allow water to enter. I have fired ammo that accidentally went through the wash without a hitch.

If you cannot completely disassemble a weapon, but it in the oven at slightly above 100F and leave it, it should dry it out completely. For this WD40 is a good for removing water from small places just in case there are trace amounts of water left after the oven treatment. But if you leave the gun in the oven all day at say 110F there should be no water left in the gun.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
For this WD40 is a good for removing water from small places just in case there are trace amounts of water left after the oven treatment.

I prefer isopropanol for water displacement. It evaporates faster, doesn't leave a residue, and is cheaper to boot. It does leave the item degreased, but that just means you get to ensure it has nothing but the lube you apply on it. :)

Frankly, I don't understand what use WD40 has.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I fell with the 1911 yesterday into standing water, it was completely immersed. No problem I just broke it down completely, which it needed BTW, dried cleaned and put it back together. Plus I polished up the hammer and sear a little bit more.

Boy, some people will do anything to justify a little home gunsmithing. :D

WalkingWolf

I prefer isopropanol for water displacement. It evaporates faster, doesn't leave a residue, and is cheaper to boot. It does leave the item degreased, but that just means you get to ensure it has nothing but the lube you apply on it. :)

Frankly, I don't understand what use WD40 has.

I,m not positive but I think WD is basically mineral spirits, which tends to lift the water away and evaporate. WD does leave a tad more film than mineral spirits though. The problem with alcohol is in most of its forms it has water, the percentage just depends. I use denatured alcohol all the time, I can speed curing of wet leather with it. I would not use alcohol without using mild heat to dry the remaining moisture on metal. As long as there are no plastic parts acetone(nail polish remover) would be better.

Here is the problem with removing all traces of oil from metal. If you are in a humid climate the metal starts to rust immediately, even if you cannot see it, when exposed to air. Because the metal is warm from drying the pores of the metal are open. I use this method to antique metal, because it is essentially what happens over years with pre 20 century guns used daily. I completely degrease the metal, boil the parts in salt water and remove them and let them sit. After doing this repeatedly a nice grey blotchy finish grows. This is the change of the rust in boiling water, basically the same way people used to clean their guns. Once desired finish is arrived the rust is neutralized by boiling with baking soda water, and then treated with hot vegetable oil.

So you may want to be careful with the alcohol.

XD40sc

The origin of WD-40, abbreviated from the phrase "Water Displacement, 40th formula," was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion, and later was found to have numerous household uses.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The origin of WD-40, abbreviated from the phrase "Water Displacement, 40th formula," was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion, and later was found to have numerous household uses.

Yes, and as I already mentioned, isopropanol is a better water displacer, so long as you bother to oil the part afterwards. Which is fine, because the only good thing that can be said about the "lube" WD40 leaves behind is that it prevents corrosion – it also turns into a gummy mess.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I,m not positive but I think WD is basically mineral spirits, which tends to lift the water away and evaporate. WD does leave a tad more film than mineral spirits though. The problem with alcohol is in most of its forms it has water, the percentage just depends. I use denatured alcohol all the time, I can speed curing of wet leather with it. I would not use alcohol without using mild heat to dry the remaining moisture on metal. As long as there are no plastic parts acetone(nail polish remover) would be better.

Here is the problem with removing all traces of oil from metal. If you are in a humid climate the metal starts to rust immediately, even if you cannot see it, when exposed to air. Because the metal is warm from drying the pores of the metal are open. I use this method to antique metal, because it is essentially what happens over years with pre 20 century guns used daily. I completely degrease the metal, boil the parts in salt water and remove them and let them sit. After doing this repeatedly a nice grey blotchy finish grows. This is the change of the rust in boiling water, basically the same way people used to clean their guns. Once desired finish is arrived the rust is neutralized by boiling with baking soda water, and then treated with hot vegetable oil.

So you may want to be careful with the alcohol.

Boiling water causes rust at exponentially higher rates than exposure to air.

I guarantee you that you can degrease any properly finished metal part and oil it before any measurable quantity of rust forms, even in the humid subtropical zone (I don't live there presently, but I grew up there).

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Boiling water causes rust at exponentially higher rates than exposure to air.

I guarantee you that you can degrease any properly finished metal part and oil it before any measurable quantity of rust forms, even in the humid subtropical zone (I don't live there presently, but I grew up there).
Boiling water causes rust to turn to black oxidation(rust blue), it was how guns were finished in ye ole days. You may not see it, but over time rust does build up when the metal is not protected. I kinda like that finish though, my star has a great patina that I would not undo for anything.. But some of the youngsters might not be to happy with their expensive toy when they turn it in the light and notice it is not so black anymore. That type of browning does not just happen overnight, it is the result of years of exposure without the proper protection. It is not like you can just sit and watch it rust. Though it can be forced to happen quickly with chemicals.

WalkingWolf

Do what the SEALs do before a mission. Nothing.

Sent from the back of a black van

But their guns are plastic, aluminum, or plastic coated, at least currently. But the rich patina that old surplus firearms have comes from years of service and exposure. If your surplus firearm is bright blue with no imperfections it has been armory refinished, or never issued. External finish imperfections do not worry me, loss of tension on rusted springs does. Seals probably wear out springs in training before they could weaken from corrosion.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Yes, and as I already mentioned, isopropanol is a better water displacer, so long as you bother to oil the part afterwards. Which is fine, because the only good thing that can be said about the "lube" WD40 leaves behind is that it prevents corrosion – it also turns into a gummy mess.

I'd heard this, but it goes against my grain to mix ethanol and water, so that reluctance probably slopped over to isopropanol and impeded me from ever trying it. :D

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I'd heard this, but it goes against my grain to mix ethanol and water, so that reluctance probably slopped over to isopropanol and impeded me from ever trying it. :D

Isopropanol is 1% water so when the alcohol is gone there still is the same problem. I use alcohol for cleaning, same as acetone, I would not use alcohol in any area confined especially with springs. To get moisture from those areas I use heat, and a lube that once the moisture is cooked off it will seal the metal. As long as the heat does not go so far as to change temper on springs, and the metal needs to be heated to changing colors to do that, it is safe. Water turns to gas at a safe level to immerse wet parts into cooking oil, preferably old. Water gone, metal pores absorb oil, parts come out slick as snot. Unless I am trying to patina a BP handgun, once cleaned with hot soapy water and dried off the parts go into old cooking oil, at around 250.

The reason for old cooking oil is the oil has carbon from food and that carbon ends up in the pores of the steel. But then that is my theory, I have no way to prove it.