• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 298 Amendement is progressing

Augustin

Constitutional Carry to be expanded if passed by House and Senate and signed by Governor Bullock, is making its way thru the House.]

Unfortunately this bill will never be signed by Gov. Buttfuck. This republican-sponsored bill was vetoed by the Democratic Gov. in both of the last 2 legislative sessions, and it will be vetoed again. The only hope is if enough people will write a letter to the govenor asking for his support. But even with that Bullock is a Federal bootlicker. He is looking forward to a cushy Federal job after he does his DemoCRIPS gangland attack job on Montana. Until we finally get a Republican Governor in office, we are stuck with tyranny.

MontanaResident

Getting time to write:

Mine:

HB 298 - Generally revise concealed weapons laws

I wish for this revision to be signed by the Governor Bullock, and to be made law. It would ease my mind in feeling more comfortable coming from hiking, exploring, fishing, berry picking, etc in the wilderness and then returning to town where I might not fully make my pistol open and thereby legal in our sparsely populated areas. I'd hate to be made a criminal because my vest or jacket does not stay firmly tucked behind my holstered pistol.

Regards,
*** Me ***

Augustin

Getting time to write:

Mine:

HB 298 - Generally revise concealed weapons laws

I wish for this revision to be signed by the Governor Bullock, and to be made law.

The bill is on its way to the Governors desk.

Gary Marbut of the MTSSA recently posted that he will be sending out instructions on how to contact the governor soon. I expect his advice will be up on their website sometime very soon.

Best to follow Mr. Marbut's advice.

MontanaResident

Gary Marbut of the MTSSA recently posted that he will be sending out instructions on how to contact the governor soon. I expect his advice will be up on their website sometime very soon.

Best to follow Mr. Marbut's advice.

I used email, and was notified in less then a minute that my message had been recieved.

http://governor.mt.gov/Home/Contact/shareopinion

Augustin

I used email, and was notified in less then a minute that my message had been recieved.

That's great! Folks have the choice of electronic mail vs. snail mail. I don't know if one is better than the other. How to ask for his signature is what matters most.

Personally, I don't think the Governor will respond positively to being told that Constitutional Carry is our right, not a privilege. Nor will he appreciate being told we shouldn't have to pay the cops a fee to be allowed to exercise our rights. Nor will he give a crap about having to be fingerprinted. Ditto for the fact that permitless carry has worked out very well for the past 24 years in 99.6% of the state.

I think the best approach is to focus on how permitless carry will reduce crime in Montana, or some other similar argument. Bullock is a Democrat bootlicker and he doesn't respect the Federal or State Constitutions, IMO.

Anybody who has suggestions on what to say would be greatly appreciated.

Two years ago I heard that the bill had more public comments (in support of it) than any other bill in the history of the Legislature.

If Bullock is absolutely bombarded with e-mails and letters perhaps he will sign it. But if we Montanans are complacent, lazy, and too busy, this bill will go down in defeat as it has for the past two sessions. So man up and write the man, or wait until we have a Republican Governor in office.

acmariner99

Here is another possibility: how close is the MT legislature from a veto proof majority? Would it be easier to convince a couple of no votes to change their minds?

What about the argument that those outside the city suddenly commit a crime by carrying concealed when they cross city boundaries? Criminals obviously don't care about getting permission.

Tangent - how did the preemption modification bill fare?

Augustin

Gary Marbut of the MTSSA recently posted that he will be sending out instructions on how to contact the governor soon. I expect his advice will be up on their website sometime very soon. Best to follow Mr. Marbut's advice.

Here it is:

"Dear MSSA Friends,

Immediately below are a number of methods to Contact Governor Bullock to urge his support of HB 298, MSSA's Permitless Carry bill. I recommend that you use ALL of these methods to get messages to the Governor, or at least as many as you have available to you (e.g., I don't use Twitter).

HB 298 will be on the Governor's desk today or within a couple of days, so it's imperative that you ACT NOW!

Pasted further below is the text of the letter I'm sending to the Governor by US Mail on MSSA letterhead and electronically about HB 298. Feel free to farm this letter for ideas that should be expressed in your own words. Your letter should be shorter than mine. If you can't do any more, you should at least send the Governor a message saying "I agree with MSSA's position on HB 298. Please support it." Don't threaten, be polite, and be brief, but ACT NOW.

Contact the Governor

Online:

By U.S. Mail:
Steve Bullock
Governor of Montana
Helena, Montana 59620

By phone:
406-444-3111
Toll Free: 855-318-1330
FAX: 406-444-5529

Email: "Steve Bullock" <steve@stevebullock.com>

Twitter: @GovernorBullock

Facebook: www.facebook.com/GovernorBullock

Thanks loads for your help and support!

Gary Marbut, President
Montana Shooting Sports Association
http://www.mtssa.org
Author, Gun Laws of Montana
http://www.MTPublish.com

March 19, 2015

Governor Steve Bullock
Capitol Station
Helena, Montana 59620

Dear Governor Bullock,

House Bill 298 is headed towards your desk. We'd appreciate your support for HB 298.

Why should you support HB 298? I see five primary reasons.

1) Harmonizing law. HB 298 harmonizes Montana law and makes the legal conditions inside the unmarked city limits lines the same as it has been outside city limits for the last 24 years. That is, HB 598 allows non-criminals to carry concealed firearms without a permit, but HB 298 leaves the permitting process in place for those who want one. There is zero evidence that unpermitted concealed carry has been any sort of problem in the 99.4% of Montana where it has been the norm and law since 1991. It is high time that Montana quit discriminating against citizens in .6% of the state. Why should you tell people inside city limits to sit in the back of the self defense bus?

2) No harm, no foul. Vermont has never since statehood required permits for concealed carry. That has NEVER been a problem there – no evidence of elevated criminality or other problems. It's exactly the same report from the several other states that have adopted permitless carry. Fears predicted about the effect of HB 298 in Montana have simply not materialized elsewhere. Montana people are just as good and competent as the people of these other states. No harm, no foul.

3) The opponents. Billionaire ex-Mayor of New York City Michael Bloomberg has formed and funded Everytown for Gun Safety and Moms Demand Action to push gun control across the US. EGS is registered as a lobbying principal in Montana and its registered lobbyist opposed HB 298 in the Legislature. You will hear from EGS and MDA in opposition to HB 298. We don't need NYC-driven policy in Montana. Our people, customs, and culture are not like theirs. We hope your treatment of HB 298 will reflect Montana culture, not NYC culture.

4) Coat control is nonsensical. The current scheme amounts to government coat control. It is now perfectly legal to carry a firearm openly (unconcealed) inside city limits. That is constitutionally-protected. What is illegal currently is to put on a coat if wearing a firearm and without a permit. That just doesn't make a lot of sense. There are times of the year in Montana when it is very desirable to wear a coat. Why should a person be required to get a permit to put on a coat just because the person happens to be inside the imaginary and unmarked line called city limits?

5) Untrained people? More discrimination. The following states issue concealed carry permits and require NO training: Alabama, Alaska, Georgia, Indiana, Mississippi, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Washington. People from ALL of those states are allowed to carry concealed inside city limits when they visit Montana. They are already afforded the ability to exercise their right protected under the Second Amendment without a training mandate being attached to it, but yet our own citizens are not. There is no evidence that these “untrained” people are a problem.

Please support HB 298.

Sincerely yours,

Gary Marbut, President"

THE ONLY THING I WOULD ADD IS THAT BULLOCK SHOULD BE REFERRED TO AS "THE HONORABLE GOVERNOR BULLOCK" , not Steve Bullock, IN ALL OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE.

The Honorable Governor Bullock
Governor of Montana
Helena, Montana 59620

MontanaResident

Thanks Augustin. Lots of good points for people to use as a template in writing their own letter to the Honorable Governor Bullock.

Unfortunately this is probably not going to happen, for in the house and senate it was nearly 100% partisan voting. Still good to keep this on the plate for when the political winds change direction.

Augustin

Unfortunately this is probably not going to happen, for in the house and senate it was nearly 100% partisan voting.

I totally agree. I did already express my dismay in this thread.

Quote:

"Unfortunately this bill will never be signed by Gov. Bullock. This republican-sponsored bill was vetoed by the Democratic Gov. in both of the last 2 legislative sessions, and it will be vetoed again. The only hope is if enough people will write a letter to the govenor asking for his support. But even with that Bullock is a Federal bootlicker. He is looking forward to a cushy Federal job after he does his DemoCRIPS gangland attack job on Montana. Until we finally get a Republican Governor in office, we are stuck with tyranny."

I can't stand the partisan politics that has inflicted our nation and our state like a stage 4 cancer that has metastasized and spread to distant organs. I believe it should be ILLEGAL to be a politician who belongs to a political party. I'm not saying we should outlaw parties, just that political candidates and those in office can't belong to such nor advertise their affiliations. Every politician should be forced to run on their own platform.

It is totally despicable that this and other gun bills in the Montana legislature are voted on by party lines. And in the case of HB298, LIVES MATTER MORE THAN PARTISAN POLITICS !!!

Update from MTSSA:

"Dear MSSA Friends,

Today, West Virginia's Democrat Governor vetoed the Permitless Carry bill there. I've been watching WV because I'll bet Montana Governor Bullock has been on the phone with the WV governor to discuss this. A question you should ask Governor Bullock comes out of the WV Governor's veto message. You should ask Montana Governor Steve Bullock, "Do you really think criminals who want to carry concealed firearms inside city limits will apply to the sheriff for a permit?"

Carry on,

Gary Marbut, President
Montana Shooting Sports Association
http://www.mtssa.org"

The article linked below about West Virginia's veto of their Constitutional Carry bill shows that one of the reasons given by Governor Earl for the veto is "apprehension of law enforcement officers from across the state, who have concerns about the bill as it relates to the safety of their fellow officers."

http://www.guns.com/2015/03/20/west-virginia-governor-vetoes-constitutional-carry-bill/

The truth is that crime has gone way done in the 5 Constitutional Carry states. Vermont, which has allowed permitless carry for over 200 years without a problem, is the safest state in the nation.

http://www.opencarry.org/?p=762

John Lott's research has proven that the addition of 6 million concealed-carry permits since 2007 correlates to a 23% drop in the overall murder and violent crime rates.

http://crimepreventionresearchcente...y-Permit-Holders-Across-the-United-States.pdf

Quote from above link: "The six states that allow people to carry concealed handguns without a permit have much lower murder and violent crime rates than the six states with the lowest permit rates."

The statistics don't lie. But the LEOs sure do lie.

THE TRUTH IS THAT THEY WANT TO KEEP THE CURRENT CONCEALED LAWS ON THE BOOKS BECAUSE OF ALL THE MONEY THEY ARE MAKING BY TURNING OUR RIGHT INTO A PRIVALEDGE.

Take Florida, for example, who has issued 1,278,246 concealed carry permits at $112 each. That's $143,163,552 - all of which went into the coffers of the cops themselves.

And the figures nationwide would be hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars that the cops have made off of us sheeple slaves who have allowed our right to be turned into a privilege, FOR A FEE.

If Bullock vetoes HB298 he should be (legally) removed from office.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
As I expected, this bill has been veto'ed by Gov Bullock. Montana will not see full state wide constitutional carry for at least 2 more years.

Bullock needs to be voted out of office!

press1280

As I expected, this bill has been veto'ed by Gov Bullock. Montana will not see full state wide constitutional carry for at least 2 more years.

I feel you. It just shows how tough something like this is to get through. You need to have adequate support in the commitees, both houses of the legislature AND the governor's mansion (or incredible support in the legislature to override a veto). We had GOP legislators working against us in WV by slowing things down just enough so the governor would basically be able to veto when the session was over.

mikeyb

:( Saw this on TTAG. Poor reasoning skills on Gov's behalf. :banghead: