• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun taken from open carry

davidmcbeth

Banned
He could have bought a holster that requires 3 actions to get the gun available, then just put up his hands and said "here, my hands are up, you get the gun".

And when the robber is busy trying to remove the gun he cannot get free, the pound him.

Or carry a 2nd gun...

SteveM

He was in an area that requires a CHL to carry a loaded firearm. Considering that the first firearm was thusly unloaded a backup gun would be unloaded too. I'm pretty sure this all got covered in that other thread way back when this was news.

willy1094

He could have bought a holster that requires 3 actions to get the gun available, then just put up his hands and said "here, my hands are up, you get the gun".

And when the robber is busy trying to remove the gun he cannot get free, the pound him.

Or carry a 2nd gun...

Just give 'em a judi-chop!

Sorry, missed the original thread. I looked back through October but I've missed things before. Just thought it was a shocking/brazen robbery.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
If someone is close enough to grab your gun, they're also close enough to be knifed. For me, as I have "special needs" (!) fisticuffs are a LAST resort. My gun is to AVOID contact-weapon distances in an "encounter," but should that happen, my contact-weapon of choice is a knife (as I can't carry my sword legally). Even at the shorter blade-lengths knives must be so they're legal to carry, a few inches of sharp steel is all you need. Why wear yourself out huffing & puffing in a punching/kicking match that you may well LOSE anyway (especially we older guys)? Just cut them. Even a KID with a knife is dangerous...

Besides, if the guy goes for my gun, then I must assume he will use it on me, so I'd have no worries re: justifying my Slicing & Dicing later on. Yes, one cut where I want to make it and it's over. While the guy is bleeding out -- and @ my convenience -- I can retrieve my gun from his cold, dead hands. Hmmm...that phrase sounds familiar somehow. ;-)

Better yet, just leave it in his hands...for "evidence."

So...in addition to our PRIMARY defense tool -- a gun -- we also at least carry a "serious" folding knife, yes? Do we keep it super-sharp? Do we know exactly where we are going to cut? Do we know the expected bleed-out time for a cut in that target area?

We should.

My particular sharp piece of (154CM) steel is a "Gerber 05786 Applegate Covert Double Bevel Titanium Knife, Black." It's carried in my jeans' "coin pocket" on my right side (and it can be opened one-handed). I NEVER use it for anything else -- like opening mail, peeling oranges (that's for my very tiny deep-pocket Swiss Army knife) -- as I want the blade to BE & STAY super sharp. It's ONLY for cutting meat...but using it to trim briskets for the grill is optional (and it's a good "practice session" also).

Any good knife would do, so CARRY one...

willy1094,

A "judi chop?" Seriously? You expect your GF to do the fighting?

...just kidding...please don't hurt me! ;-)

Last edited: