• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun question for Mainers.

carry for myself

sooooo i bought a glock 32 a few weeks back. brand new from the factory. and apprently they messed up big time because the finish on my glock is coming off bad!. i mean i can scratch it off with my finger nail. i called glock, sent them photos and a video of this problem and they said "its not a factory glock finish, its spraypaint" .well somehow between the factory and brand new from cabelas my gun got "spray painted?" anyway i was wondering if anyone local knew of a gunsmith in southern maine that can put a new glock finish? or a duracoat on my gun? its hideously ugly the way it is and i dont like it. and looks ugly as heck when i OC. soooo if anyone knows of anyone who can media blast all this off and refinish it in a quick hurry. i would appricate the advice

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Have you contacted the gun store about it? It seems like a pretty unisual situation that someone should be able to correct without you putting out extra money. Doesn't Glock have a warranty?

KBCraig

I would question that "brand new from the factory" part, if it's been spray painted. It sounds to me like your complaint might be with the seller, not Glock.

Did you buy it from a dealer, or an individual? Was it represented to you as brand new, or did you assume it just because it had the box and paperwork?

I would definitely be talking to the seller.

carry for myself

problem is i took it to cabelas. and it was brand new from them but they have a no return policy on firearms. flat out wont do it. they said the best they can do is send it to glock. but thats what im trying to avoid. i dont want to lose my carry gun for 6-8 weeks so they can re-finish it. i mean i have other guns. but they are basically junk and i dont trust them. so i would rather not lose my glock for any period longer than 48 hours. just wish i could find someone local that could do it quick. i know it only takes like 3 hours once the process is started :(

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Think about it this way, if something as simple as the finish is messed up, what else could be wrong with the gun? Sending it back to Glock through Cabela's is probably your best option. It might take 6 weeks but the gun you get back will be good to go.

carry for myself

true. but then im out a gun. i think the actual slide and inner parts are fine. i've myself put a few hundred rounds through her. i just think they severely botched the finish. not a function issue. just ugly as a raven arms finish lol

carry for myself

take it to HOWELLS in GRAY! they will re-blue it!!!

xd-over

wish it was that easy. if it was just bluing i would do it myself in my stove lol however glock does not use bluing on anything other than the barrel. the slide itself has a tenifer treated metal coated with a black packerized finish. if you try to put bluing on it it will do nothing but make it look weird. i need a new packerized finish or some type of duracoat.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Here's the situation as I see it. Cabella's sold it to you representing that it was "new in box". Guns from Glock thast are "new in box" do not have spraypaint on them.

Therefore, Cabella's at the very least unintentionally misrepresented the condition of the firearm. Once they were made aware of the fact that it was not in fact "new in box" they should understand that their choices are 1) replace it, 2) refund your money and deal with Glock/their wholesaler, or 3) be prepared for the state consumer protection agency to visit them based on your report of fraud (misrepresentation of the condition of the handgun).

Since you have unsuccessfully attempted to get either response #1 or #2 from Cabella's you are now at step #3.

Other than the fact that you are obviously annoyed at how this is being handled so far (and who could blame you?) it is time to stop complaining about how Cabella's is dealing with you and start dealing with them from a position of power.

stay safe.

carry for myself

Should have bought whip to beat this dead horse. Take it back or fix it.

trying to fix it. cant take it back. dont want to send it to glock. was just wondering if anyone KNEW of any Maine gunsmiths that can do a duracoat. i know they cost around $50 and im fine with paying that. just need to FIND a gunsmith that does this. that was the whole point of the original post lol

crdonov

trying to fix it. cant take it back. dont want to send it to glock. was just wondering if anyone KNEW of any Maine gunsmiths that can do a duracoat. i know they cost around $50 and im fine with paying that. just need to FIND a gunsmith that does this. that was the whole point of the original post lol

Maine-Tactical in Scarbough Maine!!!

xd-over

boyscout399

Throwing duracoat over it is not going to fix your problem. If it came from the Glock factory like this, then it skipped a step in the treatment process. Who knows what else was skipped or missed. If the steel was not treated properly, then there is a good likelyhood of the gun going KABOOM in your hand and injuring yourself. Don't shoot it, don't use it, get it replaced. This isn't something benign like a couch that got the wrong apholstery. This could get you killed.

carry for myself

ehhh i guess your right. ill just have to send the slide back to glock :( and carry my Sig in the meantime. gonna miss my glock though haha

boyscout399

ehhh i guess your right. ill just have to send the slide back to glock :( and carry my Sig in the meantime. gonna miss my glock though haha

Wait, so you have a Sig to carry in the meantime? If so, then what was the big deal about being without the Glock for a couple of weeks? It wasn't your only means of protecting yourself... This whole thread was pointless and the common sense answer to your question is obviously send it back to Glock.

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Wait, so you have a Sig to carry in the meantime? If so, then what was the big deal about being without the Glock for a couple of weeks? It wasn't your only means of protecting yourself... This whole thread was pointless and the common sense answer to your question is obviously send it back to Glock.

I don't think that the thread was pointless, and I think saying that is a tad bit harsh. He simply wanted some advice/opinion about what he should so seeing as he was in such a crappy situation. He probably was also interested in finding out if this same sort of thing had happened to anyone else.

boyscout399

I don't think that the thread was pointless, and I think saying that is a tad bit harsh. He simply wanted some advice/opinion about what he should so seeing as he was in such a crappy situation. He probably was also interested in finding out if this same sort of thing had happened to anyone else.

Honestly though, the finish is falling apart in his hands and he's not willing to part with it for a few weeks to get it fixed when he has another perfectly good defensive firearm as backup? It all sounds rather fishy. If it's truly as he said, no one in their right mind after spending $500 on a new gun would say "Oh, I guess it's not that bad." They would be outraged and demand it be fixed. Also, no seller in their right mind that sold such an obviously defective product would not back it up. He said he bought it a few weeks ago. If it was a few weeks ago, Cabelas would surely get it fixed without fail.

Since he seems to be taking it so lightly, and Cabela's seems unwilling to help him, I'm thinking he may know more than he is leading on as to why the finish is falling off (self done duracoat job gone wrong perhaps)