• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun kept in vehicle compartment without permit?

boomer92266

i live in Kentucky just about 1 mile north of the Tennessee line, i have a permit to carry and do so daily. i also try to keep a gun in my glove box or center console while i'm out in case i can't reach the one on me fast enough. my question is however because of my wife, she doesn't have a permit and wanted me to ask. if she drives to Tennessee by herself do i need to remove the gun from the compartment? in Kentucky we can have a gun in the car without a permit and soon carry without one too but i don't know the Tennessee law and wanted to ask. thanks for any help.

Ghost1958

If you leave it in the car, to be legal it would have to be unloaded and stored separate from the ammo. Basically useless.

If she has no permit may as well take it out of the car.

solus

just a minor clarification from handgunlaw.us, TN, quote:

Note: If you can legally own a firearm you can carry it openly or concealed in a privately owned vehicle
RV or Boat without any type of permit/license to carry. The Firearm can be anywhere in the vehicle but it
can’t be on your person.

39-17-1307. Unlawful Carrying or Possession of a Weapon. —

(e) (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm,
loaded firearm, or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle, recreational vehicle, or motorized boat if the
person:
(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a
firearm by § 39-17-1316; and
(B) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle, recreational vehicle, or motorized boat.

as always you should not rely on information gleaned from a forum unless you specifically & independently verify the information.

Ghost1958

just a minor clarification from handgunlaw.us, TN, quote:

Note: If you can legally own a firearm you can carry it openly or concealed in a privately owned vehicle
RV or Boat without any type of permit/license to carry. The Firearm can be anywhere in the vehicle but it
can’t be on your person.

39-17-1307. Unlawful Carrying or Possession of a Weapon. —

(e) (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person is carrying or possessing a firearm,
loaded firearm, or firearm ammunition in a motor vehicle, recreational vehicle, or motorized boat if the
person:
(A) Is not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm by 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) or purchasing a
firearm by § 39-17-1316; and
(B) Is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle, recreational vehicle, or motorized boat.

as always you should not rely on information gleaned from a forum unless you specifically & independently verify the information.

Thanks I stand corrected.
I was going on what my son was told last year by the Tenn State Police.

He was working there and staying on a motel just across the ky line.

solus

Thanks I stand corrected.
I was going on what my son was told last year by the Tenn State Police.

He was working there and staying on a motel just across the ky line.

nawl...tell me it isn't so...LE's lying to citizens ~ be still my beating heart...