• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great idea for applying for a permit

Jared

imported post

I was thinking about something and in a post heller world it's really not a bad idea.

What if someone applied for a carry permit and when turned down they can state that their only option is to carry rifles and shotguns per their FID card (aka. Permit to carry rifles and shotguns). I think this would really shake things up.

If someone was to do it and make it known after being denied (or in the process of being denied) they could have a couple of people with recorders. I really think it would shake things up and be pretty interesting.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I believe that person would set a new world record on recieving a police beat down.

Yeah, not the best idea...The cops, lawyers, and judges hold all the cards. The only thing that would get shook up is the carrier! The media would have a field day with it and would turn the state against you.

Jared

imported post

It's completely legal, that's why you have a couple of people follow you and record you. Kind of like Dave Ridley.

There is no evidence of turning the state against you, it's completely legal to do so as long as it is not loaded in a vehicle. The FID card says "Permit to carry rifles and shotguns" on it.

They can't convict you of anything, if you did get a beat down, it be a huge civil rights case.

I've never heard of beatdowns anywhere else, Virginia (people were threatened about open carry as little as 6 years ago with arrest), Oregon, Washington etc.

It's all the same story everywhere but in NJ, this seems like a good start.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I don't mean to whizz on your cornflakes, but the NJ FID card is only for purchasing. It does NOT permit you to carry any firearm anywhere.

The only places you can legally carry a firearm are:
-On your own property or at a business owned by you.
-At a NJ State Chartered shooting range.
-During an open hunting season with proper hunting license and credentials.
-While in possession of a valid NJ Carry Permit (Good luck getting one).

So if you want to parade around in your front yard with an K98, go for it. Aside from SKS's with fixed mags and a couple other semi's, 99% of semi auto rifles and shotguns are illegal in NJ. Even if you did parade around with a K98 in your own front yard, you'd still be subject to violations of menacing, DTP, brandishing, etc, etc, whether legal/civil or not.

This is not the best idea for "getting the ball rolling". All you're gonna do is feed the fire for anti's. They'll make you out to be a terrorist nutjob (like the guy in Jersey City that "owned too many guns"), and throw yer butt in jail.
Besides, even if you were successful, who in the NJ legislature is going to stand by you? None of them! There are no valid candidates for NJ on any of the local, state, and federal levels that support any citizen pro gun legislature. The only "pro gun" standing they have is to further arm more police.

The residents of NJ really need to band together and speak as one voice to make any headway, and I really don't see that happening in the foreseeable future.

Jared

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
I don't mean to whizz on your cornflakes, but the NJ FID card is only for purchasing. It does NOT permit you to carry any firearm anywhere.

The only places you can legally carry a firearm are:
-On your own property or at a business owned by you.
-At a NJ State Chartered shooting range.
-During an open hunting season with proper hunting license and credentials.
-While in possession of a valid NJ Carry Permit (Good luck getting one).

That is not true. That applies to handguns, not rifles and shotguns. Please cite the law that makes it illegal to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in public with and FID card??

It would not make you out to be a terrorist or any other nonsense. The Rhode Island Attorney Generals office tried to convince the supreme court in Mosby v Devine 851 a2dthat since you could carry rifles and shotguns that there was no need to force the AG to issue pistol permits. They lost that arguement (they won the case but the court said police chiefs have to issue pistol permits).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Jared wrote:
I was thinking about something and in a post heller world it's really not a bad idea.

What if someone applied for a carry permit and when turned down they can state that their only option is to carry rifles and shotguns per their FID card (aka. Permit to carry rifles and shotguns). I think this would really shake things up.

If someone was to do it and make it known after being denied (or in the process of being denied) they could have a couple of people with recorders. I really think it would shake things up and be pretty interesting.
Volunteering?

Yata hey

Tom488

imported post

That is not true. That applies to handguns, not rifles and shotguns. Please cite the law that makes it illegal to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in public with and FID card??
2C:39-5c(2): Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

Do not confuse this with the language of 2C:39-5c(1), which says "Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without first having obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S. 2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree".

2C:39-5c(1) makes it legal to possess a rifle or shotgun, outside of your home, as long as you hold an FID card. 2C:39-5c(2) makes it illegal, REGARDLESS OF FID, to possess a loaded rifle or shotgun, unless permitted by some other section (ie. at your residence, place of business, hunting, range, etc.)

So, with an FID card, you could (theoretically) walk around with a rifle slung over your shoulder, but said rifle could not be loaded.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Why does ANYBODY live in New Jersey? :lol:
It's a good place for HankT and it's a better place to be from......a long way from.:D

Yata hey

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Sheepdawg wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
It's a good place for HankT and it's a better place to be from......a long way from.:D

Yata hey
Spoken like a true refugee!:celebrate
'Got a load of them refugee's in Arizona... IL 'n NYin particular. I think immigration from NJ is restricted. (They must not let 'em out!)

Sheepdawg

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Sheepdawg wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

Yata hey
Spoken like a true refugee!:celebrate
'Got a load of them refugee's in Arizona... IL 'n NYin particular. I think immigration from NJ is restricted. (They must not let 'em out!)
They won't let us into PA unless we pay a toll:)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Pay a 'troll' is more like it. 'Last time I was on the PA Turnpike... 'came up on this booth 'round zero-dark-thirty... EEEEK! :what:It wuzzin't human!

Gilly

imported post

When I told my friend I was moving to NC he told me to hurry up and go before they imposed an "exit tax." He said it with a straight face, too. :?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Gilly wrote:
When I told my friend I was moving to NC he told me to hurry up and go before they imposed an "exit tax." He said it with a straight face, too. :?
That's prob'ly a 'comer'.

I will never travel east of the Mississippi, west of the Colorado or north of the Platte 'n Snake Rivers ever again on purpose. I would no more desire to remain in a state like NJ (or MD whereI originated by accident) than I would in some third world tin pot dictatorial sheethole. Altho I wasn't born here...I got here 'quick as I could. Enjoy your new freedoms in NC!

GWbiker

imported post

I can list two reasons why I'll always avoid traveling into New Jersey.

1). Very restrictive gun laws.

2). Crazy ex wife lives there.

junglebob

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Gilly wrote:

I will never travel east of the Mississippi, west of the Colorado or north of the Platte 'n Snake Rivers ever again on purpose. I would no more desire to remain in a state like NJ (or MD whereI originated by accident) than I would in some third world tin pot dictatorial sheethole. Altho I wasn't born here...I got here 'quick as I could. Enjoy your new freedoms in NC!
Two reasons for not traveling east of the Mississippi are the states of Illinois and Wisconsin. I know because I live in Illinois. A note to out of staters the Illinois page here says rural open carry is legal in unincorporated areas of Illinois. That is true however you need an Illinois Firearm Owners (FOID) card, and thereis no local ordinance against it. Don'tknow of any such local ordinance inSouthern Illinois, where I live (south of I64) Open carry is rare here. You will see it done by the employees of Chucks Gun Shop outside of Chicago, and maybe some other gun store but probably not otherwise. Don't forget that Kentucky is east of the Mississippi, a Gold Star Open Carry State. Also Indiana allows open carry with a LTC and they recognize every states. I realize most folks can't get a NJ LTC, but they accept all others and I carry there on my Pa or Utah non-resident.

If you can do open carry of rifles or shotguns it might help to get shall issue conceal carry. Ohio got conceal carry a few years ago and open carry demonstrations helped get it.I heard of one guy who carried a rifle or shotgun.After you get shall issue concealed carry, you can go after open carry without a LTC.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

junglebob wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Gilly wrote:

Two reasons for not traveling east of the Mississippi are the states of Illinois and Wisconsin. I know because I live in Illinois. A note to out of staters the Illinois page here says rural open carry is legal in unincorporated areas of Illinois. That is true however you need an Illinois Firearm Owners (FOID) card, and thereis no local ordinance against it. Don'tknow of any such local ordinance inSouthern Illinois, where I live (south of I64) Open carry is rare here. You will see it done by the employees of Chucks Gun Shop outside of Chicago, and maybe some other gun store but probably not otherwise. Don't forget that Kentucky is east of the Mississippi, a Gold Star Open Carry State. Also Indiana allows open carry with a LTC and they recognize every states. I realize most folks can't get a NJ LTC, but they accept all others and I carry there on my Pa or Utah non-resident.

If you can do open carry of rifles or shotguns it might help to get shall issue conceal carry. Ohio got conceal carry a few years ago and open carry demonstrations helped get it.I heard of one guy who carried a rifle or shotgun.After you get shall issue concealed carry, you can go after open carry without a LTC.
Junglebob, that kinda sounds like you carry in New Jersey with your Utah permit. I hope you meant Indiana.

thejax

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
So, with an FID card, you could (theoretically) walk around with a rifle slung over your shoulder, but said rifle could not be loaded.
Might as well carry a baseball bat.

Why you gun owners live in NJ , anyway?

So basically what you are saying is I could use my FID card and buy a shotgun and get a sling for it and carry it on my back around everywhere, as long as it isn't loaded?

Well I love the idea. I am a former NJ resident, born and raised. South Jersey. Don't hold that against me. I now live in PA but still have NJ residency as my license is still there as I still own property. I still work in NJ. I prefer to take the train to NJ as traffic can be such a mess trying to get back across the river.

I look at this scenario and it sounds good but what about ammunition? Do I have to have the ammo in a locked box? LOL. Like a lock box, locked, in a fanny pack?

To be honest, there are people in NJ that car cry cray about the whole can't get an LTC. And you know, they have a very good point and I fully support them. My suggestion is those people who are so bent about the LTC justified need thing to get the FID card and carry the shotgun or rifle (that the state allows you to have ofcourse) and carry bullets in a fanny pack (legally).

I mean it sounds good to me. Because to be honest, if someone was causing a problem or was considering on robbing me a openly carried handgun on my person would maybe deter him, unless he wants to pull a gun on me and steal it. But if I have a shotgun... he will most likely think again. He would be thinking "Man I would rob that guy but he is openly carrying a shotgun. That man is crazy. I think i'll move on".

Ofcourse as a counter-point, you can be as legal as you want. All local PDs would frown upon this. Some may laugh when finding out you are excercising the little right you have in the Garden State. Others (Like Mechantville, Westampton) would tackle you and put a gun to your head and find a way to make it justified. Because its justified for a cop to do that a private citizen that doesn't justified need to carry a smaller firearm. That was being sarcastic by the way.