• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia House Approves Allowing Guns Anywhere in Cars

Wiley

imported post

Just to expand a little, HB89 passed the Georgia House and was passed the the Senate where it is in, I think, the Judiciary Committee. It is not law yet.

If/when it passes the Senate, un-amended, it may be July before it becomes law.

Those ofyou who are interested in Georgia gun laws and legislation can go to http://www.georgiapacking.org.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

BobCav wrote:

A few clarifying statements regarding the above. Georgia law already allows carry in the glovebox or center console or "open and fully exposed to view." In addition, Those holding a firearms license may conceal anywhere in the vehicle. This bill would allow those without a license to conceal anywhere in the vehicle.

This would help those without a license because the probate courts are taking 6 months to issue a license that should be issued in 60 days.

This would help those who leave a gun under the seat when their wife, who has no firearms license, borrows the car and gets stopped by the police for speeding.

The bill is in the Senate Judiciary committee, where it is not expected to get a hearing until after crossover day, as the committee is concentrating on hearing Senate bills so that they can cross over into the House.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
The bill is in the Senate Judiciary committee, where it is not expected to get a hearing until after crossover day, as the committee is concentrating on hearing Senate bills so that they can cross over into the House.

Sorry, I forgot to update here.

I testified 8 days ago at the Senate Judiciary Committee in favor of the bill. Two other witnesses testified, both members of GCO. http://www.georgiacarry.org/

GCO was the only group to offer witnesses in support of the bill, just as in the House side's hearings. There was stiff opposition from the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, Georgians for Gun Safety, and even a lady from the PTA (who hysterically recited that she was there "for the children," although I never quite did catch whether she had some point about the bill).

The first police witness stated that she personally favored outlawing guns in cars completely.

The second police witness admitted that he did not understand the bill, and, when pressed by a Senator whether he realized that his main criticism was not a part of the bill, responded, "I have no answer to that."

The third police witness yelled at the Senate Judiciary Committee, "Don't you people have anything better to do!?!" This resulted in laughter from the anti-gun people in the hearing room behind me, but the Senators were not amused.

It passed.

Now it is in the Senate Rules Committee, where itneeds toreceive a hearingto be sent to the full Senate for a vote.

This bill that GCO has been pushing is further along than any other gun bill in the General Assembly (including the two NRA bills).