• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FWPD Deputy Chief Hwang on Practical Self-Defense and Preparedness

J1MB0B

It'll be interesting to see what he has to say. Sorry for the short notice.

http://www.armeddefense.org/calendar?eventId=754287&EventViewMode=EventDetails
Thursday, January 9, 2014, 7pm
Brooklake Community Church
629 South 356th St, Federal Way, WA

FWPD Deputy Chief Andy Hwang visits ADTA to share his own perspectives, practical experience, advice, and tips for self-defense, applicable to everyone. Don't miss this special opportunity to gain insights from his valuable experience and expertise.

· Crime Statistics: the realities of defense
· Use of Force in Self-Defense
· Mental Conditioning for Awareness, Action and Survival
· Pre-Attack Indicators: warning signs of an impending attack
· Active Shooter situations
· Personal Safety Tips
· Interactive session: Practice Unarmed Hand-to-Hand Skills

1245A Defender

Well,,,

sooo i read this at 6:30,,, no time to drive 60 miles,
but it sounded like an interesting meet!

did anyone actually go to it?
got an after action report?

my inquiring mind wants to know.... i gotsta know!!!!

J1MB0B

I went. A lot of the talk was about how to not be a victim and stuff like gouge out eyeballs if you get attacked. He did touch on guns a little and i was suprised how many people didnt know that open carry was legal. There were about 100- 150 people there. Most of what he said was on par with the knowledge i have about the RCW's. The only thing he said that jumped out at me as being blatantly wrong was him saying that to transport a firearm you have to have a barrier between you and it, such as putting it in the trunk and you have to keep the ammo in a seperate compartment out of reach of driver and passengers.
I took notes on some other things he said but I dont have them with me right now, ill post them up tomorrow night.

Dave Workman will giving a briefing about gun rights and laws on Feb 13 in the same place i think. All the info is on the website linked in the first post of this thread.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

OC for ME

I went. A lot of the talk was about how to not be a victim and stuff like gouge out eyeballs if you get attacked. He did touch on guns a little and i was surprised how many people didn't know that open carry was legal. There were about 100- 150 people there. Most of what he said was on par with the knowledge i have about the RCW's. The only thing he said that jumped out at me as being blatantly wrong was him saying that to transport a firearm you have to have a barrier between you and it, such as putting it in the trunk and you have to keep the ammo in a separate compartment out of reach of driver and passengers.
I took notes on some other things he said but I don't have them with me right now, ill post them up tomorrow night.

Dave Workman will giving a briefing about gun rights and laws on Feb 13 in the same place i think. All the info is on the website linked in the first post of this thread.

Did you, or will you, politely inform the good FWPD Deputy Chief Andy Hwang about his apparent misunderstanding regarding the transport of a firearm?

OC for ME

FWPD Deputy Chief Andy Hwang, and his misunderstanding is how beat cops come to believe what they believe the law says. This is how LACs get into legal peril due to the misunderstandings of top cops. Top cop misunderstandings sometimes translate into policy and thus policy is enforced vs. the law being enforced.

FWPD Deputy Chief Andy Hwang's misunderstanding is a dangerous misunderstanding.

J1MB0B

There were multiple people that were bery eager to correct him lol. He took the corrections well and admitted he didnt know everything.

The other big thing about this group, if your carrying, they will have you clear your weapon and carry unloaded.

OC for ME

What!!!!

In Washington State? Is that a lawful command/requirement? Or, is it a means to mitigate any further "entanglements" with said LEA?

J1MB0B

In Washington State? Is that a lawful command/requirement? Or, is it a means to mitigate any further "entanglements" with said LEA?

Assuming you are asking about the group requirement to carry unloaded...
Hwang was basically acting as a guest speaker at one of the group's normally scheduled monthy meetings. This was my first interaction with the group and its my understanding that unloaded carry is their policy at all of their functions. They have a RSO supervise while you clear you weapon into a portable clearing barrel, very similar to what cabelas does.

Last edited:

J1MB0B

Dont have to clear your carry gun if you dont intend on taking it out of your holster. If you are going to be handling it in the store or walk in with a rifle you have to have it cleared at the little desk just inside the front door. They even carry it for you, because even though you have a loaded and open carried pistol on your hip, you cant be trusted to carry an unloaded rifle with a chamber flag in place.