• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First real OC encounter

Kingfish

imported post

Although not the first person to ask about my gun or make a comment (although have yet to have a negative comment) I thought this was worth retelling.

So, I am in Wal-Mart with the wife doing the usual shopping. The wife and I separate, she goes towards the groceries and I went to get some motor oil. On my way across the store I hear a guy in a group of guys that are paralleling me talking about getting shot, and being pretty loud about it. The other guys are not sure what he is talking about until one of them says "hey look at that" and points to my Taurus 24/7 on my hip. One of them says "Wow cool...He is carrying a gun.....IN WAL-MART." One of the guys approaches and asks if I have a permit. I told him I did. He asked if the permit really did give me the right to carry in Wal-Mart....(and without getting into the whole right -vs- privilege thing) I said yes it does. While talking to this guy the other 2 were talking about what they would carry: sawed off shotgun, 14" 357mag, etc. They were being really loud and although I don't mind being stopped and asked questions these kids (20 years old) made the situation a little uncomfortable. The more mature of the guys asked how he could get a permit and I gave him the basics: be 21 years old, have no felonies, take a class, pay for permit, fingerprinted, and wait. He thanked me for the info and the 3 went on talking about how "cool" it would be to carry a big hog-leg into Wal-Mart. All in all, not too bad, but a little disturbing.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Although not the first person to ask about my gun or make a comment (although have yet to have a negative comment) I thought this was worth retelling.

So, I am in Wal-Mart with the wife doing the usual shopping. The wife and I separate, she goes towards the groceries and I went to get some motor oil. On my way across the store I hear a guy in a group of guys that are paralleling me talking about getting shot, and being pretty loud about it. The other guys are not sure what he is talking about until one of them says "hey look at that" and points to my Taurus 24/7 on my hip. One of them says "Wow cool...He is carrying a gun.....IN WAL-MART." One of the guys approaches and asks if I have a permit. I told him I did. He asked if the permit really did give me the right to carry in Wal-Mart....(and without getting into the whole right -vs- privilege thing) I said yes it does. While talking to this guy the other 2 were talking about what they would carry: sawed off shotgun, 14" 357mag, etc. They were being really loud and although I don't mind being stopped and asked questions these kids (20 years old) made the situation a little uncomfortable. The more mature of the guys asked how he could get a permit and I gave him the basics: be 21 years old, have no felonies, take a class, pay for permit, fingerprinted, and wait. He thanked me for the info and the 3 went on talking about how "cool" it would be to carry a big hog-leg into Wal-Mart. All in all, not too bad, but a little disturbing.
With such "maturity" from these guys I can see why Permits are @ 21 and also why some people "should not" carry.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'm all for people carrying, except for people such as this who seem to have an I.Q. around5 over plant life and the maturity of a 10 year old. People who are considering carrying a sawed off shotgun are doing it for nothing more than attention. It's just like having a coffee can muffler on a little rice roaster, wearing so many chains around their neck thatyou can't walk straight, or having $4,000 spinner rims on a 1985 Buick rust bucket. Those kind of people would carry as a statement: "Look how bad I am, I'll kick your butt." We don't need immature people being viewed as representatives of the fight to take back oursecond amendment rights. We are already portrayed badly enough to the public. I hope these guys wait awhile until they grow up and mature to an adult levelbefore they start carrying.

Kingfish

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I hope these guys wait awhile until they grow up and mature to an adult levelbefore they start carrying.

Yea, I just answered the questions they asked. I was thinking the same thing. The guy that was asking about how to get the permit seemed ok...Just hanging around with the others threw a questionable light on him.