• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Filming your police encounters, now ruled illegal.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Is photography in public places a criminal offense in Pennsylvania? Why were the photographers detained?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is photography in public places a criminal offense in Pennsylvania? Why were the photographers detained?

".... Fields refused to leave, Officer Sisca detained him, ... he cited Fields for Obstructing Highway and Other Public Passages under 18 Pa.C.S.§5507."
Forcing the shoe to fit, not the foot, but the eliminatory orifice. Works best when the OD is excessive. :uhoh:

user

Accomplished Advocate
And if that's the statute alleged to have been violated, there should have been evidence that some specific person actually attempted to pass, but was prevented from having done so. Evidence in support of each of the elements of the offense would have had to have been presented. My guess is that there was none and the case was dismissed, which is why the civil suit was filed. When I read the article, I thought, why is their case so overcomplicated that the judge was able to use their own pleadings against them? I have to confess, I'm somewhat skeptical of the quality of the lawyering here. I hope the plaintiffs were given leave to amend their pleadings and that they'll have someone competent to do that for them. I also suspect that they may have sued under the wrong causes of action. And all the cops needed was a defense sufficient to show they had probable cause to detain.