• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drop-in Trigger kits? Worth it or not?

vMac

I recently purchased my first glock... Glock 26. I replaced the horrid sights that came with it. Also bought some G19 magazines for it. I didn't really think about it but I think I should've just bought a G19.

Ive been looking into a few trigger kits for it as well. Im not a big fan of the trigger job in the 26 its very long pull and its a bit grindy?

I just wanted a few opinions on kits and if its worth it or not. I like the 26, I don't want to get rid of it I just need some tips on how to make it better than it is now

ZEV
Ghost
Lonewolf
Apex

gcbailey

In my personal opinion if it is a self defense carry gun I would not swap out the trigger. Those couple extra pounds of pull might be the difference between a lifetime of unintended consequences.

solus

i have never had my carry firearm(s) tweeked, even by the manufacturer - say sig who for $$$ will tweek their handgun for 'competitive' uses; for the simple fact i do not wish to have to endure judicial scrutiny that the firearm was tweeked to 'enhance' it's performance if i am ever involved in a SD situation.

same rationale i do not reload my carry ammo...i do not wish it said i made the cartridge(s) 'hot' to enhance the killing power of the cartridge in my SD firearm. therefore my ammo is the same as the local sheriff dept carry!

ipse

Firearms Iinstuctor

Not worth it in my opinion.

Long pull on a Glock ? compared to what. a single action like a 1911 sure.

I guess you never used a double action revolver.

It is more about technique then the trigger pull.

I have pulled the triggers on hundreds of Glocks the triggers are consistent.

They are what they one can change out parts in hope of some small improvement put I haven't found it to be worth while.

If you happen to get a very rare one with a horrible trigger I would have a Glock Armorer look at it and see if there is a burr or something else causing your trouble before I spent the money on a new trigger kit.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I'm not a Glock guy so my experience is limited. A relative has a Gen 3 Glock 26 I have shot several times so I am familiar with that sidearm. I also have a friend who has a Gen 4 Glock 19 I have shot several times. So, lucky case in point, I met a guy at the range late last fall with a Glock 26 who said he had put in a drop in trigger he let me shoot. I don't know the generation of that one and I wasn't doing a side by side, but the trigger on it felt pretty much like I remember the Gen 4 Glock 19 trigger to feel. A little less uptake and a bit crisper than my relative's 26.

IMO since the 26 is not a "range gun" being too small, at least for my hands, to enjoy shooting it all day I wouldn't have spent my $ to get a marginally crisper trigger. It was slightly more pleasant to shoot, but not worth it for me since I would just shoot it enough to maintain competence at self-defense distances. I don't love the stock trigger but it works and is perfectly functional for self-defense purposes for me. YMMV and certainly there is a market for such upgrades so obviously many others have a different opinion. Also, I don't know what brand drop-in it was, or if he did it exactly right or a lot of other things so this is merely a data point, not a definitive, expert opinion by any stretch.

OC for ME

I do not modify the inner workings of any of my firearms. Voids the manufacture's warranty in my opinion. I will replace non-mechanical components as required. My GI 1911 will get new factory springs when needed. But, the GI 1911 was made for armatures repairing them. My P90 is a beast but I learned to use it effectively as is out of the box. It being a de-cocker handgun I will rely upon a Ruger approved gunsmith for any repairs.

My opinion, based on my preferences, is that modifications likely will not pay for themselves over the long run when training/practice will mitigate any idiosyncrasies/dislikes of the firearm.

Urban Youth

Yeah I'm not a fan of modifying my guns either unless it can be easily reversed. It hurts the resale value if you ever go to sell them.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I. My P90 is a beast but I learned to use it effectively as is out of the box. It being a de-cocker handgun I will rely upon a Ruger approved gunsmith for any repairs.

I was an Ruger Armorer for decades department policy was we could not modify factory parts but that did not stop one from exchanging factory parts until one a very nice trigger. Some factory parts are nicer then others.

De-burring and removing machining or casting mistakes were also allowed.

Thus my P-89 I carried had one of the nicest Factory approved trigger pulls around with out any modifications.

My current P-90 is also very nice. If one knows what one is doing one can have an factory approved trigger that is very nice.

Being a Glock armorer also I haven't found the need to do much to Glock factory triggers. I own 6 Glocks and haven't done anything beside clean them. Even though I am very capably of doing so.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
The Keltec P11 cannot be fluffed and buffed into anything fun to shoot, but it is an effective tool to put 12 rounds downrange 10 yards and closer. It does its job but it will never be a joy to shoot. Now that's a gun that could use a drop in trigger. That flexi-plasti stock trigger is bad. But it works every time.

The Sub2000 on the other hand is an efficient, fun to shoot camp carbine. The newest iterations are even better than the originals. I have several friends of both genders who much prefer shooting it to an AR. And it's cheaper to feed. Win-win when they go to the range with me. Not really on topic but then I didn't bring up Kel-Tec. :)

solus

The Keltec P11 cannot be fluffed and buffed into anything fun to shoot, but it is an effective tool to put 12 rounds downrange 10 yards and closer. It does its job but it will never be a joy to shoot. Now that's a gun that could use a drop in trigger. That flexi-plasti stock trigger is bad. But it works every time.

The Sub2000 on the other hand is an efficient, fun to shoot camp carbine. The newest iterations are even better than the originals. I have several friends of both genders who much prefer shooting it to an AR. And it's cheaper to feed. Win-win when they go to the range with me. Not really on topic but then I didn't bring up Kel-Tec. :)

fyi...

https://www.tandemkross.com/KelTec-Sub2000_c_21.html

and no, i haven't just read about their accessories and you do not have to be an armorer to install them (thank goodness)!!!

just saying...

ipse

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
fyi...

https://www.tandemkross.com/KelTec-Sub2000_c_21.html

and no, i haven't just read about their accessories and you do not have to be an armorer to install them (thank goodness)!!!

just saying...

ipse
What have you changed out? Was it on an earlier generation Sub 2K?
I am pretty happy with the last gen Sub 2000 for what it is and how I use it but it could use some tweaking.
I am seriously thinking about replacing the P11 trigger though. I don't carry it much, but I would probably do so more if it had a better trigger. That is definitely the weakest thing about that sidearm.

To stay someone on topic for the OP, any Glock 26 trigger is light years better than the P11 trigger.

WalkingWolf

Whatever you do be safe. Glocks are unforgiving when it comes to lax carry, trigger changes intend to increase that unforgiving nature of a Glock.

We had three Glocks, now two, I sold my wife's. It was replaced with a CZ clone, Witness Pavona, which has a far better trigger out of the box than a Glock.

WalkingWolf

What have you changed out? Was it on an earlier generation Sub 2K?
I am pretty happy with the last gen Sub 2000 for what it is and how I use it but it could use some tweaking.
I am seriously thinking about replacing the P11 trigger though. I don't carry it much, but I would probably do so more if it had a better trigger. That is definitely the weakest thing about that sidearm.

To stay someone on topic for the OP, any Glock 26 trigger is light years better than the P11 trigger.

Yes it is, but I have not heard about any church ND's with a P11. Any manufacturer can sell a gun with a light switch trigger, there is a reason they don't.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Yes it is, but I have not heard about any church ND's with a P11. Any manufacturer can sell a gun with a light switch trigger, there is a reason they don't.

Well that's because to have an ND in church with a P11 on Sunday, you'd have to start negligently pulling that flexi-trigger on Saturday;. :banana:

Beretta92fsQueer

Light trigger on a SD weapon is risky business IMO. If it didn't come with it I wouldn't switch it out. You are responsible for every shot. And in the heat of the moment a tense situation during a self-defense scenario could turn into murder.

I used to carry a S&W Sigma. Think the trigger was 9 or 10 lbs, which is a lot. Found myself in a tense situation and almost threw a second round down range, which would have definitely not been justified.

That said, I dropped a wolff set in my Beretta 92fs that I carried. Really noticed a difference.

MontanaResident

I've done trigger jobs on a few different firearms. There is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself, and even more is learned in doing a few. IMO, the drop in triggers kits are for when (if) you mess up real bad and have to save your pistol from the city dump.