• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC carry law ruled "probably unconstitutional PI issued

swinokur

Activist Member
Effective today, MPDC is now accepting applications without "good reason". They are even waiving fees for people previously denied. I fully expect them to rescinded this when and if a stay is sought and granted. I am guessing this is window dressing to avoid a contempt citation.

But for now, no good reason required.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
They have 60 days to appeal. Granting the preliminary injunction and dismissing the permanent injunction without prejudice leaves me wondering. I don't think DC has a chance of winning and I think they know that. Was there a back room deal?

swinokur

Activist Member
Several guys I know have gone down to MPDC HQ to reapply. No prints no fee but they were told DC will take the full 90 days to process. This gives them ample time to appeal to the Circuit, get a stay and hold or reject the applications again.

Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

cocked&locked

DC requested stay from Judge Leon. on the 19th Not unexpected.

What Judge Leon should do now is give the anti's a taste of their own medicine by sitting on the motion for 2yrs while the preliminary injunction remains in effect. What's good for the goose............

swinokur

Activist Member
my guess is he'll deny it, then DC will run to the Circuit, get a stay and start rejecting applications yet again.

If he sits on it, DC will seek a writ of Mandamus to force him.

Last edited:

press1280

What Judge Leon should do now is give the anti's a taste of their own medicine by sitting on the motion for 2yrs while the preliminary injunction remains in effect. What's good for the goose............

I was thinking this too, or maybe he should have DC provide "good cause" why they should get the stay.

cocked&locked

my guess is he'll deny it, then DC will run to the Circuit, get a stay and start rejecting applications yet again.

If he sits on it, DC will seek a writ of Mandamus to force him.

You mean from the appellate court system that finds a way of sitting on cases for 7yrs when it finds it convenient?

swinokur

Activist Member
same bunch but I assume DC Govt. may get treated better than Palmer did. they'll undoubtedly get a stay from the Circuit IMO.

we shall see.

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
Following the 5/19 Motion for Stay (Defendants-DC), Plaintiffs filed their objection response on 5/23 (#50), the Defendants filed their Reply to that response today 5/24 (#51).
05/23/2016 50 Memorandum in opposition to re 48 MOTION to Stay re 46 Order on Motion for Miscellaneous Relief, Order on Motion for Preliminary Injunction, Order on Motion for Permanent Injunction,,,,,, 45 Memorandum & Opinion and Motion for Immediate Administrative Stay filed by MATTHEW GRACE, PINK PISTOLS. (Attachments: # 1 Text of Proposed Order)(Cooper, Charles) (Entered: 05/23/2016)

05/24/2016 51 REPLY to opposition to motion re 48 MOTION to Stay re 46 Order on Motion for Miscellaneous Relief, Order on Motion for Preliminary Injunction, Order on Motion for Permanent Injunction,,,,,, 45 Memorandum & Opinion and Motion for Immediate Administrative Stay filed by DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, CATHY LANIER. (Saindon, Andrew) (Entered: 05/24/2016)

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
As expected, DC has asked the DC Circuit to stay Judge Leon's order for the PI against the good reason rule. They didn't wait for Judge Leon to answer their request for a stay.

No big surprise.

file too large to upload.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
As expected, DC has asked the DC Circuit to stay Judge Leon's order for the PI against the good reason rule. They didn't wait for Judge Leon to answer their request for a stay. ...
If you were a betting man, how would you bet that the Circuit court would rule?

swinokur

Activist Member
If you were a betting man, how would you bet that the Circuit court would rule?

I have no idea. The Circuit partially rejected some of DC registration requirements in Heller III but I have no idea in this carry case. I'd bet 50-50 just to be safe. looking at the makeup of the court doesn't give much of a clue either.

ETA

Judges Rogers and Wilkins approved the stay, while Kavanaugh did not. Guess what the appointing political party of each judge is?

Yep: Democrat for Rogers and Wilkins, Republican for Kavanaugh.

No idea who will sit on the actual panel.

Last edited:

hammer6

Because of the stay, DC has reinstated the good requirement as expected.

isn't it funny that the citizens applying for these permits are law abiding, yet because they can't prove any tangible scenario for the need to carry a gun, they are being denied? i would think that of ALL places, the DC area, which is controlled by Congress, would have the strictest adherence to the 2nd amendment.

blahpony

Congress has given home rule to the DC Council. Congress could step in at any time and revoke that authority, but that doesn't seem too likely.

The DC Council are the ones that are causing all the trouble.