• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CO H.B. 18-1436: Extreme Risk Protection Orders

since9

Campaign Veteran
HB18-1436, entitled, Extreme Risk Protection Orders, "Concerning creation of an extreme risk protection order," is one of the most dangerous and destructive bills I've seen pass through the Colorado legislative process in a long, long time.

Introduced by Representatives Alec Garnett and Cole Wist, and also sponsored by Senator Lois Court, the bill's sponsors claim that it will "save many lives."

Horse hockey, and by "hockey," I don't mean anything nice at all.

According to SNOPES:
- THE CLAIM: "In May 2018, the Colorado House of Representatives passed a "gun confiscation" bill."
- WHAT'S TRUE: "The bill would allow a court to order an individual to surrender their firearms and to authorize law enforcement agents to search an individual's property for firearms and confiscate them if necessary."
- WHAT'S FALSE: "The order could only be issued on the basis of evidence that an individual posed a significant danger to herself/himself or others, due to mental health issues or for other reasons; the order would be temporary."

Sadly, while SNOPES does a very good job of breaking down this bill into its component parts, being the liberal rag that it is, it fails to correctly identify THE PROBLEM:
- The bill directly violates our United States Constitution, specifically, Article IV's "Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution," as well as our Second Amendment's, "...the right of the people to keep (own/possess) and bear (carry) arms shall not be infringed."
- The bill cracks open the door -- as I suspect was the original intention all along -- to ever-increasing infringements on our Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms as well as un-Constitutional intrusions on our other rights.

I highly encourage every Coloradan to contact your State Legislators and ADD YOUR VOICE. You're not going to convince the hard-overs on either side, but you CAN influence the swing votes, enough to get this crap STOPPED before it reaches the desk of our druggie governor.