• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Citizens" and government

JTHunter2

Like all of you, I am a citizen of this country. That is no little honor. Men have fought revolutions and died to be called "citizens". And, as a citizen, we carry we carry a burning responsibility. It means when we elect men to public office, we cannot do it as lightly as we flip a coin. It means that, after we've elected them, we can't sit back and say "Our job is done. What they do now does not concern us." That philosophy of indifference is what the enemies of decent government want. If we allow them to have their way to grow strong and vicious, then their heroic struggle, which welded thousands of lovely towns into a great nation, means nothing. Then, we are NOT citizens, we're traitors. The great liberties by which we live have been bought with blood.

The kind of government we want, government of the People, by the People, and for the People, can mean any kind of government. It is our duty to make it mean only one kind, uncorrupted, free, united.

~ ~ speech by Frank Morgan, playing S.C. Justice John Josephus Grant in the 1943 movie "A Stranger in Town"

An interesting speech from an old movie. Comments?

solus

ah fictional screen writing from a politically motivated movie comedy at its finest w/not a legal standing whatsoever!

solus

so glad the mail ballots are becoming vogue...dragging my dead relatives out of their graves is getting olde and their beginning to get on the ripe side...

CJ4wd

ah fictional screen writing from a politically motivated movie comedy at its finest w/not a legal standing whatsoever!

So what? That doesn't make the words any less accurate, does it? Or even appropriate for "current events" considering the criminal cabal that so many are facing these days?

solus

So what? That doesn't make the words any less accurate, does it? Or even appropriate for "current events" considering the criminal cabal that so many are facing these days?

CJ4wd, ya it does cuz its kinda like watching days of our lives and citizens believing their marriages should be similar or the rhetoric from west wing or madam secretary is a realistic characterization of the DoS or White House activities which are solved in an hour w/adverts included!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
so glad the mail ballots are becoming vogue...dragging my dead relatives out of their graves is getting olde and their beginning to get on the ripe side...
And one day you too may vote from your grave. Knowing full well you will not be filling out the ballot.

Logan 5

My grandfather swore that he has always voted Republican in every election since he turned 18 back in (God Knows When). Sadly he passed in 2012. And he's been voting Democrat ever since.

Logan 5

Guess so. In '74 there was a federal law passed changing it. And he was born in '25. So I dunno.

Logan 5

Actually, it looks like the first federal election he could vote in would be '46, with the first POTUS election he could vote in being in '48.